PA school tuition seems to be around $100k for most schools. How much was your tuition for the whole program?

I graduated in 2010. My program was one of the "cheaper" ones. Total It cost us 60k for school, supplies and some living expenses. This was for my graduate certificate and my post grad masters. I borrowed 48k and my wife and I killed our savings (what little we had) for the rest. I'm scheduled to be all paid up by 2020 but whenever I got my notices, they didn't seem to budge at least the first 5 years of repayment due to the "interest up front" model the bank uses. The past 2 years though I have seen it gone down significantly and I have called the bank to confirm that in fact by January 28th 2020 I will be school debt free! Yay! [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

166k...

I'm typically a very frugal person. I cook at home, make my own coffee, live in an affordable place much below area average, dont go spend alot, and have no other debt than PA school. 

Program: Private school (applied to public and private ranging from super affordable to two that were even more expensive than the one i ended up attending. It just happened that i was accepted only to the more expensive ones, my chosen one being the cheaper of those 3. Didnt want to decline and wait a year to re compete for a spot)

Length: 30 months. (7 semesters)

Tuition per semester: about 15,000

Add on more for fees/lab costs/books/materials/etc. Few thousands.

Living expenses: 1500 to 1600ish per month all inclusive. 

Total loan amt taken out for school (including about 10,000k in interest): 166k

Grad date: December 2017.

Plan: Payoff on standard repayment and put extra against it each month while also setting aside a bit for retirement and then down payment if able. Renting cheap for 500/month incl. utilities. Job will allow me to moonlight prn.

Best of luck. Keep your personal costs low. Go to the least expensive school that you feel is adequate in their training. Treat yourself when your loans are paid off not when you graduate. (Fellow program student has 200k debt and his grad gift to himself was more debt, a 45k SUV. Don' be that guy.)

• 1 month later...

Kettering 2011-2013, ~$70,000 tuition.  Can't recall living expenses, but rented cheap apt ~$525/mo including utilities & internet during academic year.  Kept house & returned to it during clinical rotations.  Fortunate that housing was provided during away rotations.  Worked 1 24 hour shift/month at FD for minimal income.  Paid tuition with credit card to get 1% cash back.  Essentially paid for program & living expenses with savings.  Cooked & packed lunches.  Lived cheap.  No debt on graduation.  Went back to work @ FD until got 1st job.

Archived