PA school tuition seems to be around $100k for most schools. How much was your tuition for the whole program?

$70k for 7 semesters so $10k per semester.  And I went to a private school, was accepted at the state school I was a resident in and the cost would have been the same there.  

Graduated in 2011

total loans $145k (which included a $16k car, I know, stupid).  Paid it off in 4 years with $80k paid off by national health service corps. 

4 minutes ago, MCHAD said:

$70k for 7 semesters so $10k per semester.  And I went to a private school, was accepted at the state school I was a resident in and the cost would have been the same there.  

Graduated in 2011

total loans $145k (which included a $16k car, I know, stupid).  Paid it off in 4 years with $80k paid off by national health service corps. 

Any advice on getting into the national health service corp?  How was it working in what I would only assume is a less than desired place to live?

12 minutes ago, MCHAD said:

Graduated in 2011

I calculated that as you paying (out-of-pocket), about $16,250/year? Assuming it was consistent? Is that about right? I'm asking, because it's looking like your debt is very close to the amount of debt I will be in by the time I graduate (including other expenses and undergrad loans). I really had my heart set on paying everything off in three years by living very frugally. Luckily, I'm single and my only "dependent" is my dog. How realistic does that sound, in your opinion?

Also with the NHSC, did you do the loan repayment program? If so, how flexible were they with you on choosing your work site?

So many questions. Sorry OP and MCHAD.

21 minutes ago, LadyNichiavelli said:

I calculated that as you paying (out-of-pocket), about $16,250/year? Assuming it was consistent? Is that about right? I'm asking, because it's looking like your debt is very close to the amount of debt I will be in by the time I graduate (including other expenses and undergrad loans). I really had my heart set on paying everything off in three years by living very frugally. Luckily, I'm single and my only "dependent" is my dog. How realistic does that sound, in your opinion?

Also with the NHSC, did you do the loan repayment program? If so, how flexible were they with you on choosing your work site?

So many questions. Sorry OP and MCHAD.

Yes that’s on average what we paid off per year, married with 4 kids by the time it was totally gone.  Minimum payments for the first 3.5 years out of pocket with lump sums as the NHSC money came in (tax free even).  But my wife won the disagreement we had about new suburban vs pay off the last $40k so we paid off the last $40k in one chunk at the end...less than 6 months later found out my wife was pregnant which was a HUGE surprise and at the first appointment found out it was TWINS!  Such a relief to know debt was gone with medical bills looming.  Even bigger relief to be out of debt when we found out one of the twins had a cleft lip and nasal defect...even more medical bills.  

We met two out of pocket insurance maximums the year they were born.  The first labor/delivery/nicu, the second after we relocated and I changed jobs to be closer to a children’s hospital out of state and the first 7 surgeries to correct our daughters birth defect. 

Cant imagine how rough it would have been to relocate, pay medical bills, and deal with the stress of all the surgeries if we still had all that debt hanging over our heads.  Getting out of debt brings FREEDOM! 

If your single and land a job at even the average national salary for a PA in a location with decent cost of living it’s absolutely realistic to hammer out $40-50k in debt a year if you live on nothing and keep the goal in mind! 

Dont bank on national health service corps.  Even if a site has had employees get the loan repayment in the past each applicant has to apply individually and how underserved an area is can change from year to year making it more or less likely you’ll qualify.  If you want to go for it, apply to jobs you’d like even if you don’t get the money and still live on nothing.  NHSC loan repayment doesn’t assign you a job.  You find a job with a qualifying score and hope when you apply you get the money.  PM me if you want more details, I’m happy to share the good and the bad. 

40 minutes ago, place123 said:

Any advice on getting into the national health service corp?  How was it working in what I would only assume is a less than desired place to live?

Honestly, we picked the job because it seemed like somewhere we could like even if we didn’t get the loan repayment.  Luckily it worked out.  

Advice I’d give if you really want to get NHSC loan repayment is find jobs that sound good even without repayment and have a high underserved score (the higher the score, the higher on the list you will be for loan repayment).  

Basically every year the amount of money NHSC has to give out can change.  When you apply you are put on a list with the most underserved sites at the top of the list.  They start at the top of the list  and award repayment to applicants until the money runs out so the more underserved your site is the more likely you’ll be high enough on the list to get the money that year. PM me if you want more details. 

Mine was around 75k total for tuition. Added about another 30k for cost of living over the 27 month program. Pretty close to the 100k mark. Graduated 2013. 

Had additional 20k from undergrad. Received ~35k upfront from my school for committing to work in an under served area. Working in an under served area and also received ~ 60k from the state for providing care to this population. 1m from paying off all my debt over a 4 year period. Totally worth it when I view it from my current stand point, but I wouldn't recommend trapping yourself with contracts in these sorts of practices. It has been grueling at times with respect to the patient population and the sorts of administrative mumbo jumbo that happens. Could have probably worked less and made more elsewhere, but I did learn a ton here (all of my own effort though). 

I graduated in 2007 and received the in-state tuition discount, but I believe it was $7500 a year. I cannot recall exactly, since the state of Illinois picked up the tab. No debt after school between the Illinois Veteran's Grant and the GI Bill. It was great.

Then I went and racked up $35k in debt for an MHA...

1984-1986  CUNY  First year commuted from home on Long Island Second year stayed in "Nurses" dorm.  Did all my clinical rotations through Harlem Hospital (great experience) except FP.  Done on LI.  Cost for tuition and books  about $6,000.  I paid in full when finished.  

It surprises me how relatively low these numbers are. I live in Arizona and have been accepted two in-state schools, but they are unfortunately private. I have done calculations with consideration of loan fees and accumulated interest during the 27+ 6 month deferment period. For MWU, it is about 48k/year. I expect this program to cost 136k which includes 5k post-graduation live off stipend while job searching and 3k extra travel costs associated with clinical year. 

Well, I'm also considering ATSU which costs 89k in tuition and about 105k after considering tuition, program fees, accumulated interest, and 8k relocation expenses for clinical year. This school sends students to another state at community health centers during their clinical year. While ATSU is 1hr from my current home, I've really considered relocating closer because it would save me 20k. On the other hand, MWU is a prestigious university and I feel it would help secure a job in my home state faster.

Considering the cost of PA school is really important and can affect how long realistically paying off student loans will take. I want to be debt free as soon as possible. 

1 hour ago, ajames said:

It surprises me how relatively low these numbers are. I live in Arizona and have been accepted two in-state schools, but they are unfortunately private. I have done calculations with consideration of loan fees and accumulated interest during the 27+ 6 month deferment period. For MWU, it is about 48k/year. I expect this program to cost 136k which includes 5k post-graduation live off stipend while job searching and 3k extra travel costs associated with clinical year. 

Well, I'm also considering ATSU which costs 89k in tuition and about 105k after considering tuition, program fees, accumulated interest, and 8k relocation expenses for clinical year. This school sends students to another state at community health centers during their clinical year. While ATSU is 1hr from my current home, I've really considered relocating closer because it would save me 20k. On the other hand, MWU is a prestigious university and I feel it would help secure a job in my home state faster.

Considering the cost of PA school is really important and can affect how long realistically paying off student loans will take. I want to be debt free as soon as possible. 

The tuition cost for PA school is frankly getting out of hand. That's probably a good thing, as hopefully it will reduce or slow over-saturation of our profession. I used to be able to tell people that the tuition costs were one of the reasons that I chose PA school over med school, but the gap has narrowed significantly.

Does Arizona have any state schools with PA programs? We have Midwestern University here in Illinois, and they are brutally expensive as well.

Yes we have one in-state public university that I am still waiting to hear back from. They are my top choice for so many reasons. I am thankful to have received acceptance to 2/3 schools so far but i am really worried about cost of pursuit. People say not to worry about it until after, but that seems foolish. 

I have heard people are pulling out around 150k for these schools, so my numbers are already calculated based on strict budgeting. The times really have changed.

1 minute ago, ajames said:

Yes we have one in-state public university that I am still waiting to hear back from. They are my top choice for so many reasons. I am thankful to have received acceptance to 2/3 schools so far but i am really worried about cost of pursuit. People say not to worry about it until after, but that seems foolish. 

If being a PA is absolutely what you want to do for your career, then you can worry about it later. Obviously, finding the cheapest "good" school is ideal, but there are ways to find assistance paying off your loans after you graduate, provided you are willing to work in certain areas, typically in primary care.

Guest hcruz496
40 minutes ago, ajames said:

I have heard people are pulling out around 150k for these schools, so my numbers are already calculated based on strict budgeting. The times really have changed.

I’m in the same boat as you. That’s the dumbest advice I’ve never heard “don’t worry about the cost until after.” This usually comes from the students in the 100k+ programs.

Years: 2015-2016

Cost: approximately ~$55,000 in tuition, fees, travel, etc. - but my wife worked which helped cover rent, food, etc.

As for ignoring cost of tuition until after - if we're taking out loans we're sort of already doing that, but I chose my school simply based on tuition and to some degree ignored everything else.  Every other school I applied to would have been at minimum $80,000 in tuition, fees, travel.

I am in the same boat as you @ajames!! I have been accepted to ATSU, interviewed at midwestern last week, and will be interviewing at NAU the first week of december. The difference in cost of the three programs is crazy! I feel like it definitely will play a role in my decision if I end up with another acceptance. I don't have loans from undergrad but the thought of being so far in debt in my 20s scares me! 

Let me know if you find out any helpful information! 

On 11/17/2017 at 11:46 AM, mgriffiths said:

Years: 2015-2016

Cost: approximately ~$55,000 in tuition, fees, travel, etc. - but my wife worked which helped cover rent, food, etc.

As for ignoring cost of tuition until after - if we're taking out loans we're sort of already doing that, but I chose my school simply based on tuition and to some degree ignored everything else.  Every other school I applied to would have been at minimum $80,000 in tuition, fees, travel.

$55k is one year of tuition or total?  I went through about 100 schools and didnt see any that would total $55k.

Archived