Applying for January 2018 start date

Received acceptance call this afternoon! Anyone know if someone has started a Facebook page for the class starting in January? Never to early to start talking about housing:) 

Also, anyone have recommendations on affordable housing semi-close to campus? Ideally would like to walk or drive <15 minutes to class

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, the campus president addressed the University's accreditation issues at the interview. He said there would be no effects on the PA program, including ARC-PA accreditation. He said if anything, it might introduce "scholarship and fund research opportunities." 

I am still skeptical, however. ARC-PA accreditation requires sponsor insitution regional accreditation, and South is at risk of losing it. The SACS decision apparently will be made in December. Seems to me if South loses regional accreditation, the PA program loses ARC-PA accreditation.

Some news articles are referencing consumer advocacy groups that oppose the sale of the university as means to skirt federal regulations. Another college that is being sold in the same deal was just revoked accreditation for "insufficient information" regarding finances.

What are your thoughts on this?

47 minutes ago, sevenlayercookie said:

Also, the campus president addressed the University's accreditation issues at the interview. He said there would be no effects on the PA program, including ARC-PA accreditation. He said if anything, it might introduce "scholarship and fund research opportunities." 

I am still skeptical, however. ARC-PA accreditation requires sponsor insitution regional accreditation, and South is at risk of losing it. The SACS decision apparently will be made in December. Seems to me if South loses regional accreditation, the PA program loses ARC-PA accreditation.

Some news articles are referencing consumer advocacy groups that oppose the sale of the university as means to skirt federal regulations. Another college that is being sold in the same deal was just revoked accreditation for "insufficient information" regarding finances.

I spoke to someone regarding this as well. The way I have taken it is as long as the deal with the new parent company goes through and that South keeps accreditation, the pa program will not be affected. If South loses accreditation though, I believe the PA Program would lose accreditation as well. 

14 hours ago, Argo17 said:

I spoke to someone regarding this as well. The way I have taken it is as long as the deal with the new parent company goes through and that South keeps accreditation, the pa program will not be affected. If South loses accreditation though, I believe the PA Program would lose accreditation as well. 

Is this just for this campus or all of the PA program campuses? 

On 8/7/2017 at 6:03 PM, Argo17 said:

I would think that all of South's PA Programs would be affected, but then again, I'm not sure. 

http://www.sacscoc.org/2016decActionsanddisclosurestatements/South University - BDG.pdf

SACSCOC’s accreditation includes all components of the institution—all programs, branch campuses, off-campus sites, and distance learning programs as reported to the Commission; thus, the Probation status applies to the entire institution.

On 8/6/2017 at 7:59 PM, sevenlayercookie said:

Are you considering not accepting your spot because of this? Kind of concerning we won't know for sure until December, right before classes would start. 

Not selected for interview. This was expected. My GPA is not perfect as I was a D1 student athlete. I understand I am not the perfect applicant, but thought having the extracurriculars would help. Does anybody have any advice on how to strengthen my application for next year? I probably need more shadowing and I did get a new job as a medical assistant. 

First time applicant. Graduated with a bachelors degree in exercise science in 2016 and spent the year working to get experience/hours. 

GPA: 3.56

SGPA: 3.2

Patient Care: 2000 hours (1000 as a patient care associate, 1000 as a phlebotomist) Got a new job as a medical assistant for a dermatologist.

Volunteer: MEDLIFE trip to Peru, plus 300 random hours with other things. 

Shadowing: 25 hours family practice

GRE: 150V/150Q/5A

On 8/16/2017 at 3:03 PM, nataliet7 said:

Not selected for interview. This was expected. My GPA is not perfect as I was a D1 student athlete. I understand I am not the perfect applicant, but thought having the extracurriculars would help. Does anybody have any advice on how to strengthen my application for next year? I probably need more shadowing and I did get a new job as a medical assistant. 

First time applicant. Graduated with a bachelors degree in exercise science in 2016 and spent the year working to get experience/hours. 

GPA: 3.56

SGPA: 3.2

Patient Care: 2000 hours (1000 as a patient care associate, 1000 as a phlebotomist) Got a new job as a medical assistant for a dermatologist.

Volunteer: MEDLIFE trip to Peru, plus 300 random hours with other things. 

Shadowing: 25 hours family practice

GRE: 150V/150Q/5A

Hey Natalie,

Just read your post. Don't be too discouraged. I was accepted to South University this year but was previously rejected in the past at other schools. I think your new job as a Medical Assistant is a great start, having a year of that work under your belt will only benefit you. I don't believe you need too many more shadowing hours. Maybe another 15 or so over the course of the year. One thing I would recommend is to take some science classes over again or potentially take new ones that will help your prepare for the PA school curriculum. Even taking 1 class a semester over Spring, Fall, and Summer could be enough to raise your GPA. Some schools look at your most recent grades and if you can prove your ability to get good grades in the recent classes some programs will overlook the lower overall GPA. Also, don't know how your personal statement looked, but that's going to be a huge part of getting an interview. If you haven't yet done so, look into this book ... https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/how-to-write-your-physician-assistant-personal-statement-stephen-pasquini-pa-c/1122653318/2672542080819?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+greatbookprices_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP24104

It helped me immensely in writing a personal statement as my initial one was garbage to be honest! 

Hope some of this helps, best of luck and keep up the good work!

22 hours ago, DD2PA said:

I'm wondering if they have started sending out rejections. I haven't heard anything at all. At this point, I think it's going to be a rejection but just trying to keep the faith lol. Is anyone else still in limbo?

I received a rejection via e-mail about 2 weeks ago at like 9pm EST.  Submitted early June.

20 hours ago, ilygurlie said:

I received a rejection via e-mail about 2 weeks ago at like 9pm EST.  Submitted early June.

Sorry to hear that, I guess they have started sending out rejections. I find it weird I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I don't know if I should call or just wait it out?

28 minutes ago, DD2PA said:

Sorry to hear that, I guess they have started sending out rejections. I find it weird I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I don't know if I should call or just wait it out?

I would wait. Last year I waited a long time too and finally received an interview invite in early September. I'm pretty sure they interview through October!

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, DD2PA said:

I'm wondering if they have started sending out rejections. I haven't heard anything at all. At this point, I think it's going to be a rejection but just trying to keep the faith lol. Is anyone else still in limbo?

I'm in the same position. I applied last year and they didn't send me anything until January 7th (their first day of classes) telling me that the class was full.

3 hours ago, DD2PA said:

Ah, sorry they actually sent me the rejection more than a month ago.

It is getting late for a jan start school but who knows! you're never fully out until they send you that rejection.

Archived