Departing a part-time nightmare

I could be 100% wrong but I'm not sure patient abandonment applies to a PA leaving a practice. I suspect it would swing on the practice act but technically the patients all belong to the physician as we are dependent practitioners.

I've been told that PAs can commit "patient abandonment."  Even if you don't get sued, a state medical board may not look kindly on this, especially if you are a PCP.

Ventana you are out of line with those comments.

"Lack of honor", give me a break. You dont know this individual and he/she is already conscientious about what to do otherwise she wouldnt have posted a thread.

Workplace "honor" is a delusion. A job works as long as it is benefiting both parties, and there is no merit system for long-suffering at your own expense. A contract, in most instances, protects and benefits the employer over the employee. Contracts can be a boon for PAs if they are carefully inspected and curated, but vague contracts are more often the norm and just allow for abusive scenarios such as this.

Sometimes you have to stick it out for the greater good, but this is clearly not one of those times. There is no net benefit in suffering an extra 90 days. 

OP, good for you. You wont get sued. Never hurts to get some legal advice, but I think you have many avenues to clear your name (employers do all the time when they let someone go), plus you dont need the reference anyway.

"Lack of honor", give me a break. You dont know this individual and he/she is already conscientious about what to do otherwise she wouldnt have posted a thread.

Workplace "honor" is a delusion. A job works as long as it is benefiting both parties, and there is no merit system for long-suffering at your own expense. A contract, in most instances, protects and benefits the employer over the employee. Contracts can be a boon for PAs if they are carefully inspected and curated, but vague contracts are more often the norm and just allow for abusive scenarios such as this.

Sometimes you have to stick it out for the greater good, but this is clearly not one of those times. There is no net benefit in suffering an extra 90 days.

OP, good for you. You wont get sued. Never hurts to get some legal advice, but I think you have many avenues to clear your name (employers do all the time when they let someone go), plus you dont need the reference anyway.

I think ventana has a valid point. Leaving without fufilling the terms of your contract DOES set you up for legal issues as well as, in my opinion, show lack of honor. By no means does this mean to stay in an uncomfortable position. But, if my contract says something, and my employer and I can't come to a written agreement on something different, I'm not going to set myself up for litigation. Just because a contract says one thing doesn't mean you can't say to the employer that this isn't working for either of us, can we negotiate on when I leave?

While this situation is crappy, it isn't putting the OPs license on the line or breaking laws, so, I'd think the employer would have a good breach of contract suit.

Yeah let's leave the honor bull crap out. My belief is you have to get out if you're in an abusive relationship. If you stay you're just gonna get your ass beat. I have suffered enough whoopings while working until I couldn't stay awake any longer. Anyway, it's all good. Mutually agreed on 30 days. No lawsuits, breach of contracts, or hard feelings (with the doc that is). Thanks for all the wonderful support out there.

"honor" is not something you choose when to you - hence I guess a difference between you and I

there is a signed contract, and I have never seen one of these with out that famous statement that if one part is deemed null and void the rest is still in place.....

hence

have honor 

try to work it out

at worst you are done and gone in 90 days

INSTEAD you can simply quit - try to say their was a "breach of contract"  

get papers filed against you in court

and then the very best part

possibly have to deal with it for the next 5+ years while it winds it way through the courts....

nope not for me, I choose to life ALL of life with your "chosen honor" it is not something you merely pull out when convenient.... 

sorry to flame, but honor is something that I live by, and to say that there is a part of life where you can just ignore it I find insulting...

Yeah let's leave the honor bull crap out. My belief is you have to get out if you're in an abusive relationship. If you stay you're just gonna get your ass beat. I have suffered enough whoopings while working until I couldn't stay awake any longer. Anyway, it's all good. Mutually agreed on 30 days. No lawsuits, breach of contracts, or hard feelings (with the doc that is). Thanks for all the wonderful support out there.

I'm glad you were able to come to a mutually agreed upon separation date!

Things like honor is nonsense in a business transaction; you're saying it's somehow a problem to ask that both sides of a contract be upheld, when it has been clearly breached and you are being taken advantage of.  

If I sign a purchase order "contract" for a red bugatti veyron, I'm not going to accept delivery of a yellow VW bug.  (I think VW owns bugatti) .  Call me crazy, I'm going to do the "dishonorable" thing and ask that my order be filled correctly, or my deposit be returned and our business relationship be dissolved.  

And again, I must be a real SOB to think that replacing my services in this business relationship isn't my problem.  The choice to breach was made by the other party, not by me.  Again, kiddie lawyer contract law. 

Archived