Hello,

I'm a new grad PA (started the program right out of high school) who just received a job offer for a hospitalist position with the details here:

40 hour week. Five 8 hr shifts a week. Overnight from Sun- Thurs 11pm-7am.

$85,000 base pay
$15,000 for overnight annual bonus. Would be taken away if I switched to days.

4 weeks PTO
1 sick week
1 week CME and $1500

Paid DEA liscense.  

I'm curious if I should ask for more base pay.  Any opinions?  Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, soccerfanatic14 said:

Hello,

I'm a new grad PA (started the program right out of high school) who just received a job offer for a hospitalist position with the details here:

40 hour week. Five 8 hr shifts a week. Overnight from Sun- Thurs 11pm-7am.

$85,000 base pay
$15,000 for overnight annual bonus. Would be taken away if I switched to days.

4 weeks PTO
1 sick week
1 week CME and $1500

Paid DEA liscense.  

I'm curious if I should ask for more base pay.  Any opinions?  Thanks! 

I'm pretty much against anything under 100k/yr, but I'm in the PNW so may have different expectations.

I know a large number of nurses who make 85/yr. Bedside nurses.

More importantly as a new grad with no HCE, what's your onboarding going to look like? Do you have back up and support? Procedures? Are you admitting or just doing cross coverage?

I'd mostly be doing cross coverage and only admitting when they "are desperate."   I want to do any procedures that come with that but not exactly sure on the opportunities.  I do not have any health care experience. The onboarding process would be about  4 months total. 3 months working with providers in the day then 1 month training with the night team. I would be shuffled around between all of the providers for this process. Support afterwards would be my coworkers at night. 

I requested a shadow day with the night shift providers and will be doing that next week. 

4 hours ago, soccerfanatic14 said:

I'd mostly be doing cross coverage and only admitting when they "are desperate."   I want to do any procedures that come with that but not exactly sure on the opportunities.  I do not have any health care experience. The onboarding process would be about  4 months total. 3 months working with providers in the day then 1 month training with the night team. I would be shuffled around between all of the providers for this process. Support afterwards would be my coworkers at night. 

I requested a shadow day with the night shift providers and will be doing that next week. 

Ok.  I'd advise you to jump on any admissions that you can, as well as being very aggressive about managing patients during your onboarding. 

I normally advise new grads to avoid working nights in the beginning of their careers as you don't get the longitudinal care of your patients, you don't get to see the therapies take effect, discuss with consultants much etc.

And cross coverage is harder than admitting.  When you get a 0300 call about a patient with belly pain you need to know all about that patient, develop a quick differential dx and know your imaging/testing modalities...

Sounds like it's going to be a challenge but good luck!