UF 2017-2018 Admissions Cycle

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone!

I'm pretty new to the forum and have seen lots of great stuff so far. I was looking for an honest opinion about something:

I was verified on CASPA on 10 August, a few weeks before the 1 September deadline for UF. Based on people already having interview dates/acceptances (congrats to all by the way!), did I apply too late to have any real chance, stats aside?

Thanks all.

Hello everyone!
I'm pretty new to the forum and have seen lots of great stuff so far. I was looking for an honest opinion about something:
I was verified on CASPA on 10 August, a few weeks before the 1 September deadline for UF. Based on people already having interview dates/acceptances (congrats to all by the way!), did I apply too late to have any real chance, stats aside?
Thanks all.
While the competition gets stiffer as time goes on (more applications, etc), applying later in and of itself does not rule out getting an interview. Interview invites go out through November, and most acceptances are sent later in the cycle.
Overall, it's a very, very competitive process, but you are not out of the window yet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Rejected last week

3.2 GPA

3.3 BCP GPA

3.7 last 60 credits GPA

16,000+ hours as a paramedic, mostly serving the undeserved on reservations

500+ hours volunteering at a food shelf

500+ hours non paid volunteer firefighter

150 hours shadowing

1000+ hours teaching 3rd & 4th year medical students and sometimes residents ACLS, high Fidelity simulation and the procedural cadaver lab, intubation, sutures and chest tubes.

500+ hours teaching government Dr.s, PA's and NP's emergency airway management

250 hours clinical emergency medicine research (volunteer)

Published author on emergency airway management

ACLS, Pals, Atls, nrp, ACLS and pals instructor.

Successful Grant Writing for emergency medical services equipment totaling over $20,000.00 

Gre 300 total and a 3.5 writing.

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting

It comes down to GPA, don't let anyone fool you. My references are known very well in education and medicine. My personal statement was over seen by a medical school Dean. With PA school being more competitive than medical school, GPA plays the largest factor. Good luck everyone. I'll be getting a different master's to be more competitive in future applications. This was my second year applying.

15 minutes ago, kettle said:

Rejected last week

3.2 GPA

3.3 BCP GPA

3.7 last 60 credits GPA

150 hours shadowing

1000+ hours teaching 3rd & 4th year medical students and sometimes residents ACLS, high Fidelity simulation and the procedural cadaver lab, intubation, sutures and chest tubes.

Successful Grant Writing for emergency medical services equipment totaling over $20,000.00 

It comes down to GPA, don't let anyone fool you. My references are known very well in education and medicine. My personal statement was over seen by a medical school Dean. With PA school being more competitive than medical school, GPA plays the largest factor. Good luck everyone. I'll be getting a different master's to be more competitive in future applications. This was my second year applying.

Thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry about the rejection letter. It would seem that with your background and work ethic you should at least get an interview somewhere. Best of luck, don't give up!

11 hours ago, kettle said:

Rejected last week

3.2 GPA

3.3 BCP GPA

3.7 last 60 credits GPA

150 hours shadowing

Sorry to hear the bad news. Your stats look wonderful. Was it by email or by mail?

12 hours ago, kettle said:

Rejected last week

3.2 GPA

3.3 BCP GPA

3.7 last 60 credits GPA

150 hours shadowing

Thank you for sharing! Your extracurriculars and HCE are incredible. My GPA is only a slight bit higher, so I'm pretty much anticipating the same results as you - even though I also had a 3.8 GPA on my last 60 credits.

Also, I'm sure you are aware, but your GRE may have also impacted your decision. I'd be surprised if you didn't already get in some where, but if you decide to reapply, it may be easier to improve your GRE significantly than your GPA. Best of luck and I'm sorry you didn't get good news.

1 minute ago, kettle said:

I didn't have the finances to re take the GRE this year.  All of my rejection letters have been via email.  Hopefully UF doesn't send me multiple rejection letters like several schools last year, that was kind of kicking me when I was down 

I completely understand. I'm still paying off my credit cards from all of my application costs this year. At times, I've felt that the supplemental applications for schools are completely unnecessary with the program specific part of the CASPA. It's like a fundraiser LOL.

15 hours ago, kettle said:

Rejected last week

3.2 GPA

3.3 BCP GPA

3.7 last 60 credits GPA

150 hours shadowing

I have a 3.18 cGPA and 3.01 sGPA. I was accepted into UF this cycle. They truly evaluate their applicants holistically.

26 minutes ago, kettle said:

What were your co curricular activities?

oh gosh okay

so I had about 9,500 hrs PCE

volunteered with Race for the Cure and was a volunteer researcher in my schools microbiology lab

lots of PA shadowing hours

Vice President of my schools Panhellenic Council as well as Judicial Chairman for my sorority

Resident Advisor

Research with Atrazine and amphibian development that won an award at my school

lots of HCE like surgical check in 

7 hours ago, kettle said:

Very cool, congratulations on acceptance. Definitely diverse co curricular activities and a fantastic Gre score. I'm far from giving up just down in the dumps a bit

Kettle, I'm not sure if you knew about it but Florida Gulf Coast University opened up on CASPA earlier in July and are taking applications for their inaugural class. I am by no means an expert (first time applicant!) but my GPAs and PCE hours echo yours to a decent extent and an academic advisor mentioned that new programs might be somewhat less competitive than established ones. There is always the gamble that they'll lose funding or provisional accreditation, but it never hurts to cast as wide a net as possible. I would feel comfortable betting that you get an interview somewhere with those stats.

21 hours ago, nvocgka said:

Received this e-mail today :(

"I am writing advised that the interviews scheduled for September 11, 12 and 13, 2017 have been cancelled due to hurricane Irma."

I was going to ask since my interview at Nova Jax was postponed from Sept 7th, date TBD.  Bummer!  

On 9/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, kettle said:

Rejected last week

3.2 GPA

3.3 BCP GPA

3.7 last 60 credits GPA

150 hours shadowing

I have an interview in a few weeks. 3.2 scGPA and 3.2 cGPA.

I must say your stats are awesome besides your GRE.  I wonder if it could have been your personal statement or something else. You might have some well known LOR's but if they are not good then it won't matter who wrote them.

As long as you don't give up I know you'll eventually get in somewhere with those stats.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:34 PM, kettle said:

Rejected last week

3.2 GPA

3.3 BCP GPA

3.7 last 60 credits GPA

150 hours shadowing

You are clearly competent and well prepared for the job! It's 100% your GRE. The minimum is a 4.0 on the essay for almost all schools, and though UF doesn't explicitly say it on their stats, the average for the last 5 years has been higher than 4.0. Many schools prefer 155 in both Q and V as well. Your experience stats are TOO GOOD to let your GRE stats discourage you from becoming a PA. If you have test anxiety, I know a friend of mine who went through all the channels to get a longer time to take each section and performed much better. The writing portion is just practicing the format they want. For someone who has done successful grant writing, I have no doubt you can easily pick up the style they want for the exam. I highly recommend reading all the sample essays in the big GRE books like Manhattan, etc. I pretty much just did the formula they provided, peppered in some "GRE words" and got a 4.5. I know it's an expensive test, but a lot of schools will use those "minimum stats" from GPA and GRE as instant disqualification without even reading about all of the other amazing things you have done, so improving those scores will be well worth the investment. Good luck!

Archived