South University Applicants for Jan 2018 Start

I emailed South Tampa in regards to the accreditation issue. Here is the response:
"The PA program has obtained full accreditation through 2027. South University is currently working to resolve some administrative concerns and have a plan in place to resolve it by the end of the late summer – early fall (Sept. – October) time frame. We do not anticipate that this will affect the PA class beginning in January 2018."

Thanks for sharing this. This is my top choice school :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, alana.immedia said:

Congrats!!!! So exciting!!! I interviewed same day as you and didn't get a call today :( I'm still holding out hope. Are you accepting the seat?

Thanks!!! I wouldn't worry, I saw last year several people who interviewed on the same day and some heard back within a little less than 4 weeks and others heard back not until a little over 8 weeks.

Thanks!!! I wouldn't worry, I saw last year several people who interviewed on the same day and some heard back within a little less than 4 weeks and others heard back not until a little over 8 weeks.

Thanks for the reassuring words. I'm hoping that maybe since I'm local and made it clear that I only applied to the Tampa Bay Area schools that they are maybe keeping me on the back burner (so to speak) [emoji91]

Does anybody who's been accepted know if there is a Facebook page? 

For those who interviewed. When you sign into Castle Branch are all of your "tasks" marked as completed? I did everything and there is one thing that says "incomplete" and something all long the lines of "waiting for placement".

2 hours ago, alana.immedia said:

For those who interviewed. When you sign into Castle Branch are all of your "tasks" marked as completed? I did everything and there is one thing that says "incomplete" and something all long the lines of "waiting for placement".

Mine are NOT complete. I interviewed on 7/27 but have been struggling to do fingerprinting outside of Florida. I actually just did them today, and still received an acceptance call today. I also recall several applicants during my interview day saying that their CastleBranch tasks were incomplete although they performed all the necessary steps.  So I would not worry about that too much!

Is South University potentially losing its accreditation going to affect your guys' decision in going here? I just got into the campus in Savannah and am pretty concerned with this. The campus president assured us at our interview that it won't affect the PA program, and the e-mail response someone else in this forum got is reassuring, but I don't see how the PA program won't be affected if its overseeing institution isn't even accredited. 

1 hour ago, lmack1213 said:

Is South University potentially losing its accreditation going to affect your guys' decision in going here? I just got into the campus in Savannah and am pretty concerned with this. The campus president assured us at our interview that it won't affect the PA program, and the e-mail response someone else in this forum got is reassuring, but I don't see how the PA program won't be affected if its overseeing institution isn't even accredited. 

It sounds like they have a plan set in order to resolve this issue so that they won't lose the accreditation. If they do end up losing the accreditation I think it would affect the PA program, but they seem to be confident that their plan will resolve the issues and restore their accreditation and thus not affect the PA programs.

5 hours ago, lmack1213 said:

5 hours ago, lmack1213 said:

Considering what happened to the South University West Palm Beach accepted PA students last year, I can tell you that I am definitely preparing for the worst case scenario and considering other options. I heard they were told during their interviews that they were "99% sure" accreditation by the ARC-PA would be granted, only for it to get denied in the end.

23 hours ago, SjohnPA87 said:

Considering what happened to the South University West Palm Beach accepted PA students last year, I can tell you that I am definitely preparing for the worst case scenario and considering other options. I heard they were told during their interviews that they were "99% sure" accreditation by the ARC-PA would be granted, only for it to get denied in the end.

Hello! Slightly confused about the potential accreditation loss. When I interviewed on 7/27, the whole faculty was excited about their re-accreditation in March 2017. From which source is everyone hearing about losing accreditation? 

Also, for those interviewing later this month, can you ask someone about this issue? Thanks!

28 minutes ago, jnguyenv said:

Hello! Slightly confused about the potential accreditation loss. When I interviewed on 7/27, the whole faculty was excited about their re-accreditation in March 2017. From which source is everyone hearing about losing accreditation? 

Also, for those interviewing later this month, can you ask someone about this issue? Thanks!

The PA program is accredited through 2027. The accreditation issue is regarding the university as a whole, not the PA programs. However, if accreditation is revoked from the university it will most likely affect all of their programs, including the PA programs. They seem very confident that they will be able to resolve this issue. Here is information about why they were placed on probation (it's relating to finance):

http://www.sacscoc.org/2016decActionsanddisclosurestatements/South University - BDG.pdf

21 minutes ago, jnguyenv said:

The PA program is accredited through 2027. The accreditation issue is regarding the university as a whole, not the PA programs. However, if accreditation is revoked from the university it will most likely affect all of their programs, including the PA programs. They seem very confident that they will be able to resolve this issue. Here is information about why they were placed on probation:

http://www.sacscoc.org/2016decActionsanddisclosurestatements/South University - BDG.pdf

I doubt the university communicates to ALL of their programs about their accreditation issues, so I wouldn't expect the PA program to have accurate info on that. While the PA programs are solid, South University itself only has 7% graduation rate. The decision on the university as a whole will be taken by the accrediting body in December. 

Now, their plan to resolve their woos is by selling the university to a non-profit organization. That organization has previously tried something similar with another university, but it didn't go through.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/03/06/large-profit-chain-edmc-be-bought-dream-center-missionary-group

Archived