South University Applicants for Jan 2018 Start

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! I got a call this morning offering me an interview for October 4th. I know it's kind of late in the game for a January-start program, so do you think I still have a good shot at an acceptance (granted my interview goes well) or do you think I would be interviewing for a waitlist spot by that point? I just ask because I'm flying from Hawai'i and these flights are definitely not cheap. 

7 hours ago, menehunemed said:

Hey guys! I got a call this morning offering me an interview for October 4th. I know it's kind of late in the game for a January-start program, so do you think I still have a good shot at an acceptance (granted my interview goes well) or do you think I would be interviewing for a waitlist spot by that point? I just ask because I'm flying from Hawai'i and these flights are definitely not cheap. 

When I interviewed in Aug. one of the current students said she'd interviewed in early Aug. last year and she didn't hear anything either way until they called in December to offer her a seat. I would think that means you have a chance even if your interview is in October. That's just my opinion, but I thought I'd share. Knowing how long it took her to hear back made the wait a little easier, especially as I saw people posting about their acceptance on here. Best of luck no matter what you decide.

6 hours ago, menehunemed said:

I think you would still have a shot! I think South tries to accept people from each interview date, so I would assume there are still open seats. I believe they would specify like most schools do if it was specifically for a waitlist spot.

All, as a current South Tampa PA student I hope the following can put you at ease in addressing some of the anxieties being felt by those already “accepted for Jan 2018” start (CONGRATULATIONS!). It is a very busy time frame for all staff involved in the admissions process so please be patient and know you have not been forgotten (I went through the same things and know what you feel). Recommend you complete FAFSA now if you will be seeking financial aid (be assertive in addressing a meeting with a financial aid counselor in advance of class start, I met with one (they are assigned by alphabet/student name) in October before the Jan. Start (or you can schedule a telephonic meeting). Also, you should be sure to complete your BLS CPR Certification as it is mandated prior to commencement of classes (I found out about a week before classes started but had already relocated to the area and was able to enroll and complete course in a few hours in the Tampa area). You will be required to have the medical testing (immunization records, background checks, etc) completed prior to class commencement as well. I can only recommend that leave your fate to no one and be assertive as needed to get your questions answered and requirements met. It is stressful to start, get your housing situation finalized and the rest will fall into place, try not to stress and allow yourself the joy of acceptance and a new beginning. It is a great program with a great teaching staff (it is an intense medical program which will require dedication, extra effort, lots of independent study and a full time mental commitment, anything less and a student will not succeed, the staff is experienced and very supportive but it is graduate level medical school and they will not baby you, you will make great friends and you will rely on each other). As far as a Facebook page goes, the school usually creates the page for each class and will notify accepted students when and who to contact to join the group (when I began it was Tiffany). Again, congratulations and stay positive, things will be great! See you around campus!

6 hours ago, SKeen said:

When I interviewed in Aug. one of the current students said she'd interviewed in early Aug. last year and she didn't hear anything either way until they called in December to offer her a seat. I would think that means you have a chance even if your interview is in October. That's just my opinion, but I thought I'd share. Knowing how long it took her to hear back made the wait a little easier, especially as I saw people posting about their acceptance on here. Best of luck no matter what you decide.

5 hours ago, Acap said:

I think you would still have a shot! I think South tries to accept people from each interview date, so I would assume there are still open seats. I believe they would specify like most schools do if it was specifically for a waitlist spot.

Thank you for your feedback! I will definitely accept the interview offer and hope for the best! Did you have all the background checks, fingerprinting, etc. done before your interviews? 

19 hours ago, menehunemed said:

Thank you for your feedback! I will definitely accept the interview offer and hope for the best! Did you have all the background checks, fingerprinting, etc. done before your interviews? 

I had everything, but the fingerprints completed and turned in. I had them rolled and mailed, but CastleBranch says it can take 15 weeks to add the results to my the account. It didn't take more than a few days for the rest of it. It might not be a bad idea to contact them and see if you can start the background check and then have a live fingerprint scan done while you're in FL for the interview. It would be much quicker that way. Just an idea.

20 hours ago, EagerPA said:

All, as a current South Tampa PA student I hope the following can put you at ease in addressing some of the anxieties being felt by those already “accepted for Jan 2018” start (CONGRATULATIONS!). It is a very busy time frame for all staff involved in the admissions process so please be patient and know you have not been forgotten (I went through the same things and know what you feel). Recommend you complete FAFSA now if you will be seeking financial aid (be assertive in addressing a meeting with a financial aid counselor in advance of class start, I met with one (they are assigned by alphabet/student name) in October before the Jan. Start (or you can schedule a telephonic meeting). Also, you should be sure to complete your BLS CPR Certification as it is mandated prior to commencement of classes (I found out about a week before classes started but had already relocated to the area and was able to enroll and complete course in a few hours in the Tampa area). You will be required to have the medical testing (immunization records, background checks, etc) completed prior to class commencement as well. I can only recommend that leave your fate to no one and be assertive as needed to get your questions answered and requirements met. It is stressful to start, get your housing situation finalized and the rest will fall into place, try not to stress and allow yourself the joy of acceptance and a new beginning. It is a great program with a great teaching staff (it is an intense medical program which will require dedication, extra effort, lots of independent study and a full time mental commitment, anything less and a student will not succeed, the staff is experienced and very supportive but it is graduate level medical school and they will not baby you, you will make great friends and you will rely on each other). As far as a Facebook page goes, the school usually creates the page for each class and will notify accepted students when and who to contact to join the group (when I began it was Tiffany). Again, congratulations and stay positive, things will be great! See you around campus!

I have my BLS already, but it expires in Dec. of 2018. Do you know if I can use that and just recertify before it expires? 

On 9/21/2017 at 4:46 PM, EagerPA said:

Thank you so much for all of this info, so helpful to know you went through all of this! My only question for you - is there anything you suggest we brush up on before classes start that you think would be helpful (medical terminology, etc.)? 

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you around school!

On 9/24/2017 at 9:44 AM, evanderburg said:

Thank you so much for all of this info, so helpful to know you went through all of this! My only question for you - is there anything you suggest we brush up on before classes start that you think would be helpful (medical terminology, etc.)? 

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you around school!

If officialy notified of selection and your from out of town I would recommend you begin the research of finding housing (I moved into the area about two weeks before classes begun but had located an apartment and signed a lease in October. I’m certain your fellow classmates will be from the Tampa area and can make some recommendations. I would not worry about studying in advance, you will begin medical terminology studies etc right off the bat but if you have the means to expose yourself to medical terminology it can only help you. Lodging first, transportation and having a good laptop (I have a Dell XPS-15 which has been great) is of primary importance. Don’t worry so much about Studies right now; financial aid applications, and providing the school with necessary things (immunizations, medical, background check, BLS Certifications) requested in advance is the most important thing. The studies will fall into place, you will be provided with semester curriculums well in advance. Once you have a place to live take everything else related to school and studies as it comes. A good daily, monthly  planner will prove very helpful! Congratulations and welcome!!!

Archived