2016-2017 Application Cycle -- UC Davis

I am staying at Hotel Med Park and it's about 100.00 a night. The Larkspur is about the same amount. Both of those are within walking distance. They also have some neat hostels around town that you could drive or uber to quickly. For a shared room it's like 30.00, private room with shared bathroom about 60.00, then private both is back up to your 100.00. Hope this helps!

-Sam-

I realize that many hotels have a strict 12pm check out time. For Hotel Med Park, I read that it was 11am. Do you plan on staying an extra night or will you be storing your belongings somewhere while you are at Candidate Visit Day? 

I'll be interviewing on Oct 5th and would be down to split a room with someone, if anyone's interested!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that many hotels have a strict 12pm check out time. For Hotel Med Park, I read that it was 11am. Do you plan on staying an extra night or will you be storing your belongings somewhere while you are at Candidate Visit Day? 

I'll be interviewing on Oct 5th and would be down to split a room with someone, if anyone's interested!

Most hotels, if you ask, will hold onto your luggage for you. Many allow guests to leave the luggage at the hotel if they can't check in yet and vice versa, they will hold onto your luggage past you check out time. If they do not offer this service, I will have a rental car and will probably put it in there. I would offer my rental car for you to put your stuff in, but my interview is on the 4th so I will already be gone.

I just wanted to say congrats to everyone who received an interview invite. I'll be interviewing October 5th. I am flying in from Florida and would love to meet up with anyone the day before to explore the campus, find where we will be interviewing, and like @abbie44 said get some of the jitters out.

Good luck to everyone interviewing and those still waiting to hear back! 

hey Sam,

I am planning on staying at the Motel 6 because it's pretty cheap and only like a mile away. They won't keep my stuff after the check it time at 12 pm. My interview is October 4th too. Do you mind if I put my backpack in your rental care? Thanks!

Ali

That is perfectly fine with me!

-Sam-

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing on September 29th, doesn't look like many of you chose that date. I'm coming from Rhode Island so planning to spend couple days in San Francisco before heading to Sacramento. I will probably be there Wednesday (September 28th) if anyone wants to look around campus and explore a little before the interview. Good luck everyone! 

Congrats to all of you and good luck on your interviews.

I am really nervous here now, I submitted my application back on 5/14, verified on 5/24. I haven't even received the confirmation that they received my application! I called them sometime in Jun and they told me they had my application, but so far I have not received any confirmation email. 

Hello, I am a 1st year PA student at Davis. Congratulations to everyone! 

I'm not sure how many changes are planned for this year's Candidate Visit Day compared to last year's, but last year there was no formal interview conducted. In small groups, candidates worked together in a puzzle-solving type of activity. Afterwards, each person was prompted to give a brief "elevator speech" about themselves (only a few minutes long, and a strict time limit was enforced in my group). There were no questions to respond to, nor any kind of written evaluation. My advice for preparation is just to craft your elevator speech tactfully and be genuine!

Wishing the very best of luck to you all. I'm not active on the forum anymore, so if anyone has any questions please feel free to email me at annabelhchen@gmail.com and I will try my best to help you out.

-Annabel

1st-year UCD PA student here,

Congratulations to all the applicants who have received interview invites! You've made it past all the hard paper statistics of your GPA, amount of clinical hours, and countless personal statement revisions. Now the program wants to know who you are as a person. Don't sweat it, the faculty are extremely welcoming and want you to be as comfortable as possible. You'll find that this interview is a lot different than other traditional PA school interviews.

I hope to meet some of you during or before your scheduled interview day. As Phil mentioned, we are hoping to plan a meet and greet the night before each interview so we can get to know you all, answer any questions, and hopefully calm any nerves before your big day (not affiliated with UCD School of Nursing Admissions). To those who haven't received invites yet, stay hopeful. You could get notified a few days before an interview, so always be prepared.

A lot of applicants stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Midtown Sacramento since it's a one-minute walk to your interview building not having to worry about traffic, parking, or where exactly you have to be. Airbnb is also a cheaper option I used pretty extensively during my round of PA school interviews. Phil also mentioned a few of us may have a spot for one or two of you to crash at.

We have 81 students in our current cohort -- 64 PA, 17 NP. They plan on keeping the class size about the same. If anything, they'll try to bump it up to 90 like they originally planned last year. Once you survive complete the interview, they will e-mail secondary applications to a select number of applicants. After submission of your secondaries, they review your entire file and make their decisions. You could hear back as early as December to as late as April/May (classes begin in June). There is also a waitlist in which they tend not to disclose a lot of information about but many students come off the waitlist each year. 

I hope you're all excited to see visit our school and see what this program is about. Keep in mind that interview day is about seeing if you're a good fit for the program AND if the program is a good fit for you. If you have any questions about the process, program, student life, or anything else, feel free to reply or PM me :) Good luck to everyone in finding the right PA school for you.

HI! Looking forward to interviewing on October 4th. Let me know if you end up having a meet & greet on the night of the 3rd. Thanks!

Interviewing October 4!! 

Hey! I am interviewing on October 4th as well. Have you figured out where you are staying? 

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing on September 29th, doesn't look like many of you chose that date. I'm coming from Rhode Island so planning to spend couple days in San Francisco before heading to Sacramento. I will probably be there Wednesday (September 28th) if anyone wants to look around campus and explore a little before the interview. Good luck everyone! 

A word of advice to those applicants planning to attend the interview/campus visit from out-of-state that the PA program is housed in the School of Nursing facility located on the grounds of the UC Davis Medical Center campus in midtown Sacramento and not on the actual UC Davis campus, which is located 20 minutes away in Davis. The actual UC Davis campus is a wonderfully walkable campus (largest campus in California because of land grant agreements with the State of California decades ago). Not really a whole lot of free parking in and around the campus, but you could probably get away with parking in the Whole Foods parking lot (2 hours free parking which is monitored). But probably the best thing to do would be to either pay for the parking in one of the on-campus parking structures (ie., next to the Mondavi Center, which would then place you on the edge of campus by next to the Putah Creek walkway which would eventually lead to the campus' arboretum). There is also another parking structure on the north side of the campus off of Russell Blvd next to the Memorial Union. Bottom line, don't plan to spend much time touring the Sacramento facilities. At the end of the day, it is a hospital campus, and we will be given the opportunities to tour the actual PA facilities on our respective interview dates. Instead, plan on spending some time driving around the Sacramento capitol and all the great restaurants there, but especially visit downtown Davis and walk the campus. If you end up attending the Davis program, you will likely end up spending a great deal of your time in and around the downtown Davis area. Might as well get a feel for it now. Here is a couple of quintessential Davis places to be on the look out for: Thai Canteen, DeVere's Irish Pub, Fuji Sushi or Makuni's.

Thanks for all of the helpful information!!

Is anyone able to give us the exact address of the location for the interview? I was a little confused about that and it didn't specify the exact location in the email.

Thanks!

Yes this!?! I am interviewing on October 4 :) can't wait to meet those of you that interview that day as well.

I am so disappointed. I was invited to interview but all the dates available are while I will be out of the country. I return Oct 11th and emailed asking if there were ANY other dates available. I was told there were none and that it was very unlikely that further dates would be added.  

Has anyone else had issues with the dates offered? 

Holy cow y'all!  Congratulations to everyone who got an interview!  I don't have any idea what it means if you have not received one yet, but I'll at least say don't give up!

So I've been in LA the past week for the Emergency Nurses' conference and didn't have wifi to log into the forum.  As such I missed when y'all got your invitations.  Additionally, I've got a bunch of PMs that I'll be responding to in just a little bit.  Thank you to my classmates who have provided a ton of information regarding Candidate Day so I'll skip saying much about that.

Here's what I am working on for y'all:

1.  The invitations seemed to have gone out super late and haven't offered much time for planning on your part or my part.  So I'm working with my classmates to get the meet and greets together.  

2. The plan right now is to have a (very) informal meet up the night before each interview at 7pm somewhere in Midtown Sacramento area.  This will allow for those of you who might be getting into town a bit late to still make it.  The goal of this is to meet other people in your interview group so you're not alone the next day as well as to ask any questions you may not want to ask the next day.

3.  I understand coming from across the country, getting a hotel, renting a car and all that on a budget.  We don't have any money either, but we do have cars and couches.  If anyone needs a place to crash send me a message and I'll try to hook you up with someone's couch.  It ain't much but last year I woke before the interview with a spider crawling on my arm.  I didn't go back to sleep.

That's about all I gotta say.  Please continue to ask all of us your questions about the interview, UC Davis, and Sacramento.  We want this to be as easy for y'all as possible.  You already have enough to worry about, right?

--Phil

Archived