Class Action Suit Against NCCPA

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I "understand" this is the only "approved/recommended" study book.

That book comes with a web site with about 1000 questions covering all the sections in the book.

Now, my story. This is not all I studied. I made over 90 0n all tests with those questions.

On top of that, I used three other sources with many online questions. I attended the Emory Review one week before I took the PANCE exam.

The exam I took came no where close to being what was recommended. I failed it.

The Emory Review was wonderful. I really felt confident. In short, the Emory Review prepared me to better practice medicine, but it came no where close to the exam I took,

The point I am making: they recommended a book. I knew that book inside and out. When I started the first block of the exam, I knew I was going to fail. It was like the exam was in Greek.

There was NO relationship between what was approved and what I faced in the PANCE.

51A7pDHIs0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It would be interesting to see what basis of action might be concocted in order to justify a suit. "Making a test tougher" does not have an obvious cause for judicial intervention.

ok, first of all, they didn't make the "test tougher" as you state. what happened was they "identified an anomaly with the scoring of PANRE. In order to precisely determine the problem, it was necessary to wait until enough exam results were collected to conduct a psychometrically-sound analysis."

in other words, they had to wait until they saw that 200? 500? 1000? people had failed before they decided to act.

as far as i'm concerned this is a bunch of nonsense designed to cover up the fact they SCREWED UP ROYALY. instead of coming out and saying so, they blame it on a "mis-communication between our psychometric and scoring vendors that may have resulted in an inaccurate PANRE score."

these are direct quotes from the mass email they sent out today.

so, no "rev", the exam wasn't any tougher. the nccpa botched the ADMINISTRATION of the exam and they SHOULD BE HELD FULLY ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

at the very least, they should refund the $350 exam fee to everyone that was effected by this situation.

count me in on a class action lawsuit and let me know how i can help....(pm me if you don't want to post publicly).

It would be interesting to see what basis of action might be concocted in order to justify a suit. "Making a test tougher" does not have an obvious cause for judicial intervention.

Rev Ronin,

Perhaps, no, I am sure your tone may be different if you were one of the recent undoubtedly hundreds of PANRE test takers that had the living life sucked out of them when they learned that they had failed the exam they prepared so well for. And were tossed aside with "oh well, try again" after pleading repeatedly with the NCCPA for a rescore. Only to learn that, oops, sorry yes there actually was a glitch in the scoring, you passed and we are sorry you lost your job. "We apologize for any inconvenience". Even the apology was insincere.

Mikejfox has every right to be concerned that his PANCE was misgraded or the fact that these questions were unlike any in any recent review book out there.

Mikejfox, I am in.

Rev Ronin,

Perhaps, no, I am sure your tone may be different if you were one of the recent undoubtedly hundreds of PANRE test takers that had the living life sucked out of them when they learned that they had failed the exam they prepared so well for. And were tossed aside with "oh well, try again" after pleading repeatedly with the NCCPA for a rescore. Only to learn that, oops, sorry yes there actually was a glitch in the scoring, you passed and we are sorry you lost your job. "We apologize for any inconvenience". Even the apology was insincere.

Mikejfox has every right to be concerned that his PANCE was misgraded or the fact that these questions were unlike any in any recent review book out there.

Mikejfox, I am in.

oh wow...did the nccpa finally admit to their mistake?

i knew there was something fishy from the beginning!

-edit-

oh my goodness...i just read the other thread. the nccpa really needs to be held accountable. i feel horrible for those who had to suffer through that...completely unacceptable.

Wow, what a great response.

Let's see how much more response we get.

Anybody know any good lawyers?

Also, I am going to share the story with several national news agencies.

I wonder what the AP, USAToday, etc could do with a story like this.

Will you, please contact them, also. Thank you.

Rev Ronin,

Mikejfox, I am in.

Dang this totally stinks!!!! I would be in too but I have no stake in this one....How about some moral support? Hope you get your job back or at least get a F A T check from NCCPA

rev, i think you should refrain from making comments regarding the test until you have had to deal with this. it says you are a student. this has greatly affected my family over the past 6 weeks, as me and my wife are both pa's. the nccpa is pure BS...

Ditto! You are only a student. You have no idea what some of us have been through. Right now you are just worried about passing your little tests. We were worried about keeping our jobs, houses, spouses etc.

Count me in on a class action lawsuit!! I think mental anguish alone is enough of a justification. At least they agreed to mail me a check for $350 for my reimbursement of my second exam which was scheduled for 11/11. However, I have totally wasted 4 months of my life studyng, stressing and feeling like a complete failure.

Something needs to be done.

I contacted AP News and USA Today to share the story. I also let NCCPA know I was looking into a class action suit and that I was sending the story to national news agencies.

Please, contact NCCPA and tell them the same. The email address is examgrievances@nccpa.net and the lady's name is JoAnn Osborne

Manager of Exam Administration.

Let's spread this story all over the USA.

I'll see if I can find a lawyer.

I contacted AP News and USA Today to share the story. I also let NCCPA know I was looking into a class action suit and that I was sending the story to national news agencies.

Please, contact NCCPA and tell them the same. The email address is examgrievances@nccpa.net and the lady's name is JoAnn Osborne

i've emailed her as well. here's a copy of what i sent and i'll post back if i hear from her:

Dear Ms. Osborne:

I am writing to voice my extreme displeasure with the recent revelation that there was an "anomaly" in the scoring of the PANRE examinations.

While I'm pleased that I passed, I (along with countless others), are incredibly upset and frustrated that this occured in the first place. For a national organization such as the NCCPA to have put the people they represent through this type of stress, pain, and anguish is absolutely unconscionable.

You put many people through many months of studying, board review courses, and time away from their families. You made people question their abilities as professional medical practitioners. People's state licenses, careers, and homes were on the line.

I have completely lost faith in your association and I will join many others in attempting to effect some type of change in the way we as physician assistants are certified.

I would like further clarification on what (if anything) the NCCPA intends to do to re-gain our trust.

Good luck finding a lawyer that is interested. In my experience, the lawyers I've talked to about other such issues seem to have Styrofoam balls. According to them, you would have much better luck if you walk into the NCCPA headquarters, slip and hurt your back on their tiled floor . . . then the lawyers would line up.

I have to make one observation. I have the sense that if it were not for this forum, where people who had the same bad experiences could network, that NCCPA would never have found their mistake nor had the pressure to fix it. So good work.

I just talked to a big shot lawyer who actually used to be a PA. He said you can't sue an organization just because you fail their exam. He gave me the example where many/most?? fall the bar exam.

Okay, so let's take the story to the public. Here are the news organizations I contacted. Please, would you also contact them and tell them your story. Let's take NCCPA into the homes of American.

CNN News

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/show/?s=newstip

Fox News

Kelly@foxnews.com

New York Times

news-tips@nytimes.com

Associated Press

info@ap.org

Reuters News

david.wilkins@thomsonreuters.com

If you know of other, please post them here, and I will contact them. BUT, it takes all of us to stir up the mud in the pond.

Ditto! You are only a student. You have no idea what some of us have been through. Right now you are just worried about passing your little tests. We were worried about keeping our jobs, houses, spouses etc.

Im sure when you were in school they werent "little tests". Insulting. A PA student's exams have just as much bearing on their personal situation as a recert. Get some perspective.

My understanding is that You can't sue the NCCPA for this....not successfully at least.

I think that you have to prove irreparable harm. NOW, if you had failed, and they had not discovered it for years, resulting in you losing your job, losing your home...etc.etc. then you may have a case. But in this instance, they changed the scores, refunded money to those who had scheduled a second exam etc.

I can't see any lawyers taking this on.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my take. Also, good luck with the national news. I write for one that is consistently linked to the WSJ and Business Insider, and they don't often take PA centric issues. Hell, I'm trying to get them to bite on one for the name change.

My understanding is that You can't sue the NCCPA for this....not successfully at least.

I think that you have to prove irreparable harm. NOW, if you had failed, and they had not discovered it for years, resulting in you losing your job, losing your home...etc.etc. then you may have a case. But in this instance, they changed the scores, refunded money to those who had scheduled a second exam etc.

I can't see any lawyers taking this on.

Not sure I agree with any of this

you can sue anyone in this country - including NCCPA

the only people that will likely sue and win are the one's that have suffered a loss due to the error of NCCPA - john q PA who did not take the test, or took the test and passed has no damages. BUT someone that took the test and failed only to have it rescored and pass has suffered damages - emotional, financial.... is even better if you lost your job or had to stop practicing..... these are real damages....

But the best person yet to sue would be one that passed but on the rescore failed........ this is just sensational news and although they have no damages (and hence they will loose) it is sensational news that likely news agencies will pick up..... whats the saying - "any publicity is good publicity"

I really think that those who failed and on rescrore passed need to band together and file suit......

Archived