Class Action Suit Against NCCPA

Add me to the list of working PA's who went from fail --> pass. Although, I never received an email or letter, instead I was called by some elderly administrative assistant (who is not a PA and has no idea what we've been through) to apologized and said there was a mistake in how the questions were weighted. Her explanation left me scratching my head. I was relieved, yes, but holy sh*t have I been through self inflicted hell and lack of self confidence lately. The NCCPA will need to do more than reimburse $ for their mistake. How can you make up lost time and endless neglect to all the other meaningful realms of life? I have missed out on so much because I was so fearful of losing my job. I even reapplied to Peace Corps and considered leaving the profession. I'm in for a class action law suit. We need numbers of how many failed during this cycle. How do we get that info?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think that those who failed and on rescrore passed need to band together and file suit......

Good luck....

I'm sure they will find a lawyer...but knowing the law firm that the NCCPA uses....all I can say is....good luck. Then again, maybe they'll settle...have no idea.

I plan on finding a lawyer. I just sent the story to one of our local TV stations. They have a great news program, and it might help getting the story national.

I'm willing to fight to the end.

i'm in with you. pm me and let me know how i can help. i'm not willing to stand by and let this issue die.

Good luck....

I'm sure they will find a lawyer...but knowing the law firm that the NCCPA uses....all I can say is....good luck. Then again, maybe they'll settle...have no idea.

a few times in my life I have seen justice done and the little guy has won

merely by filling it will put the NCCPA on notice and get them to pull their collective heads out of their behinds..... that in itself is a victory! As well they have already offered to reimburse additional expenses which would be pretty had to say is not an admission of guilt

I'm not up for PANRE till next yr. I have seen no email. And I see nothing on the NCCPA site. I'm guessing the info about the failures went out only to those who recently took it? Any public links, all?

no. no links. nothing on the website. no advertising. no public apology to the entire PA profession. no full page open letter in the new york times.

nothing at all. i would expect nothing less from the nccpa.

simply put, they are the money-making monopoly that controls our lives.

I'm not up for PANRE till next yr. I have seen no email. And I see nothing on the NCCPA site. I'm guessing the info about the failures went out only to those who recently took it? Any public links, all?

There were only a small number of PA's that were directly affected. NONE of them lost their NCCPA certification as they would not have expired until December 31st at the earliest. Those that were affected were contacted directly.

BTW, this has happened to virtually every examining board in the past. It has happened to the NBME as well as the USMLE in the past. This doesn't mean it wasn't a serious occurence, and the people I have spoken with are taking it very seriously.

Thankfully, they caught it early, and are addressing the situation.

The PA profession didn't suffer as a whole, so making that argument will go nowhere.

From what I see here, much of the bluster of lawsuit is coming from a disgruntled handfull hell-bent on exacting revenge. I'd surely hate to see things backfire on the profession b/c these few decided on a public vendetta against an organization that has admitted it made a mistake and is taking steps to financially correct the problem. there is effectively only a 3-month window of error. NO-ONE has lost a job b/c of this..How much sympathy will a public who for the most part doesn't earn what we do have for those that "suffered" emotional distress, financial burden of books and a review course based out of Vegas ?!?!..., and had to study more.... (mind you I can sympathize with you)...

The PA profession didn't suffer as a whole, so making that argument will go nowhere.

From what I see here, much of the bluster of lawsuit is coming from a disgruntled handfull hell-bent on exacting revenge. I'd surely hate to see things backfire on the profession b/c these few decided on a public vendetta against an organization that has admitted it made a mistake and is taking steps to financially correct the problem. there is effectively only a 3-month window of error. NO-ONE has lost a job b/c of this..How much sympathy will a public who for the most part doesn't earn what we do have for those that "suffered" emotional distress, financial burden of books and a review course based out of Vegas ?!?!..., and had to study more.... (mind you I can sympathize with you)...

Not only that, but I'm not sure that any news agency, or the public really for that matter.....is going to really care???

I'm writing an article on the name change, and I'm having to change the focus to one of business and patient acceptance to get it into those venues.

This is a profession specific event. USA Today...and their readership for that matter isn't going to care. Not to sound heartless, because honestly, I feel really bad for those affected, but realistically, the NY Times editor is never going to publish about this.

NOW, if you could prove that they were deliberately trying to cover it up, or that there was a specific scandal involved...maybe. But, it's kinda like when I was talking with CNN about doing a story on PA's....they only wanted the exotic story....the PA that makes a diagnosis that five doctors missed, the PA that delivers a baby in the middle of the mountains...etc.etc.....OUR story as PA's...our historical story was a non starter for them.

Let's get this activity off this forum. If you are interested in a class action suit or in trying to get some news coverage, please send me a PM. This is my last post regarding this thread. There's always somebody trying to shoot the horse from under you.

I hope to hear from many of you. We can do this much better on our own.

From what I see here, much of the bluster of lawsuit is coming from a disgruntled handfull hell-bent on exacting revenge.

NO-ONE has lost a job b/c of this..How much sympathy will a public who for the most part doesn't earn what we do have for those that "suffered" emotional distress, financial burden of books and a review course based out of Vegas ?!?!..., and had to study more.... (mind you I can sympathize with you)...

1) so please enlighten me as to what branch of NCCPA you work at as you obviously have private info to make such statements. or you are just making it up....

2) how do you know no one lost their job? Again just making it up...

3) so the rich are never successful in court? it just makes no sense to say because we are well paid we loose the right to sue or bring legal action

BTW - I did not take the test (not due for PANRE#2 till next year) so I am not a pissed off minority - I am a pissed off PA who see's how NCCPA really really really dropped the ball and now is trying to sweep it under the carpet - again what happended if someone was passed that should not have been - threat to public safty (or are you again going to claim that you know for a fact that this did not happen)

Please let us know if you actually work for NCCPA and have the true facts or are you just postulating? Seems you are in the minority on this board and if you have verfiable info it would be nice to know that - if you are merely expressing opinion I am going to express my opinion that you have not thought through this situation enough....

1) so please enlighten me as to what branch of NCCPA you work at as you obviously have private info to make such statements. or you are just making it up....

2) how do you know no one lost their job? Again just making it up...

3) so the rich are never successful in court? it just makes no sense to say because we are well paid we loose the right to sue or bring legal action

BTW - I did not take the test (not due for PANRE#2 till next year) so I am not a pissed off minority - I am a pissed off PA who see's how NCCPA really really really dropped the ball and now is trying to sweep it under the carpet - again what happended if someone was passed that should not have been - threat to public safty (or are you again going to claim that you know for a fact that this did not happen)

Please let us know if you actually work for NCCPA and have the true facts or are you just postulating? Seems you are in the minority on this board and if you have verfiable info it would be nice to know that - if you are merely expressing opinion I am going to express my opinion that you have not thought through this situation enough....

Yes you figured me out. I am the past, present and furture President of NCCPA. I'm also a paid lobbyist. "NCCPA" is my middle name. I'm also forming a European soccer team "NCCPA-kicks"....

Scoring errors are not unique to NCCPA... Someone else here asked "what would happen if this occured with the USMLE"... do a quick google search and you will find the same thing has happened. Heads, did not roll. Nor will they in this instance...It has occured with the Bar exams as well, likely all formalized testing has suffered some sort of scoring error.

I'm making an educated Hey-I'm-just-a-PA-guess that no one has lost a job. PA certifications expires December 31 2011. Thus even having failed between 7/1- current, everyone is still safe.... Of course If you are attempting to extract retribution from NCCPA then the burden of proof would be on you, not me?...So can you come up with anything of the sort ?

Anybody can sue for any reason. I can sue you for the way you prepared my peanut butter sandwich...... winning, is a totally seperate issue.

Being in the minority on the board is irrelevant. Reasoned and rational thought takes precedence over numbers.

I just talked to a big shot lawyer who actually used to be a PA. He said you can't sue an organization just because you fail their exam. He gave me the example where many/most?? fall the bar exam.]

From what I have been reading, this issue really has little to do with whether or not someone failed/passed the exam. The NCCPA should have a suit filed against them purely because there have been errors, inconsistencies, and altered exams scores, wherein test takers were notifiedof new results after having taken the exam. As our sole governing body- and the only institution responsible for dictating our certification status- there should be no ambiguity with the scoring of exams. Ever.

On the flip side (and I know that there are a lot of wonderful PAs out there!)... but what scares me the most- more than the disappointment, anger, and stress of those who have unnecessarily suffered through being wrongfully told that they failed (which is terrible)- is the fact that there are PAs out there who have passed who probably shouldn't have. The NCCPA is not going to give a passing score and then revoke the results and tell someone that they failed. But if one side is true... then the reverse circumstance is true, as well. And therefore there is most definitely more that the organisation is hiding than we even know.

The time has come for a change. I was at the cme resources conference in Las vegas, and one of the PA's called his wife who is a lawyer, and her firm started to investigate this matter, and said this is a solid case, and a similar situation occured with the SAT in 2007, where it was incorrectly scored. A class action lawsuit was filed and there was a settlement for $2.85 million dollars. See below article.

http://tech.mit.edu/V127/N31/satlawsuit.html

Both myself and the PA were not directly involved, as we are going to recertify within the next month. But for those that are effected I urge you guys to please do something, this can revolutionize our entire future. Most of the PA's at the CMe resources conferences were from specialties like ortho, derm, surgery. Almost 20 of the 210 attendees at CME resources found out on Thursday 10/6 (Day 4/5 of the conference )they converted from failing to passing grade.

Most of us are studying things that we will never use in our respective speciaties, like Pediatric vaccination schedule??really annoying, psych disease's , optho , ent etc. If NCCPA want's our money they should just ask for it, I think most of us would not mind paying a fee to make them happy, as long as we don't have to take a stupid exam every 6 years.

We need a good leader-like personality to start this, and I believe we should start with facebook, as this can get viral very fast. (fyi. the revolution in egypt started with facebook), this site (physicianassistantforum.com) is great, but most people just don't know about it.

I received the news on Thursday, October 6th by email from NCCPA that I did actually pass my exam and not failed like they reported on my September testing of the PANRE. I was able to view my scores again and I had indeed passed! Today, I decided to look at the web site again because I guess I am a little paranoid about the NCCPA and looked at my record and it states that I have outstanding requirement needing to fulfill my certification. So I looked at the page with the exam results and now my results are missing for the September exam and I have in place of it that my PANRE results are pending there receipt of the score and they will notify me within a 3 week time frame from when I took the PANRE. (which is now over 3 weeks?) This is the same type of listing that occurred when I took the exam in September and I was looking to see if my result were on there a week after I took the test. My question is did anyone else receive the email that their results were changed from failing to passing and they looked up their results either Thursday or Friday and were able to see their actual score? And do they still have access to those score results today on the NCCPA website under their record? Or is there a reason now our test scores are under question again?

I received the news on Thursday, October 6th by email from NCCPA that I did actually pass my exam and not failed like they reported on my September testing of the PANRE. I was able to view my scores again and I had indeed passed! Today, I decided to look at the web site again because I guess I am a little paranoid about the NCCPA and looked at my record and it states that I have outstanding requirement needing to fulfill my certification. So I looked at the page with the exam results and now my results are missing for the September exam and I have in place of it that my PANRE results are pending their receipt of the score and they will notify me within a 3 week time frame from when I took the PANRE. (which is now over 3 weeks?) This is the same type of listing that occurred when I took the exam in September and I was looking to see if my result were on there a week after I took the test. My question is did anyone else receive the email that their results were changed from failing to passing and they looked up their results either Thursday or Friday and were able to see their actual score? And do they still have access to those score results today on the NCCPA website under their record? Or is there a reason now our test scores are under question again?

The only ones that win class action lawsuits are the lawyers that pocket millions in legal fees, then send out the check to the participants. I can't count the number of $5 checks I got from stores, credit card companies, etc. over the years for my part of the settlement....

• Administrator
I just talked to a big shot lawyer who actually used to be a PA. He said you can't sue an organization just because you fail their exam. He gave me the example where many/most?? fall the bar exam.

Which is actually what I think I said above. Not a lawyer, but have a very good feel for how lawyers think.

Just because you're wronged, doesn't mean that you can be made whole by suing someone.

• Administrator
Im sure when you were in school they werent "little tests". Insulting. A PA student's exams have just as much bearing on their personal situation as a recert. Get some perspective.

Thanks for the kind words, Andersen, but I actually do know more than most about professional certification exams. I've taken about 25 in my career so far in non-healthcare fields--passed most, failed a couple. More importantly and relevantly, I have taught prep courses for a couple of them and written/revised questions for one of those. I've also had to sit for comprehensive exams twice for previous graduate degrees, something I don't see many (any?) PA students doing, which is its own peculiar brand of challenge.

"Just a student" indeed.

Archived