Why I love rural EM

Had a great "Not eating, drinking, taking meds.  Confused" dropped off in my 5 bed solo ED this week.  Recent flu admit, DC 4 days prior.  Regular at this ED (I'm per diem, don't know all the regulars yet).  Nurse (AMAZING nurse) says: "want an EKG?".  Sure, weak old lady, sounds good.  Brings me an inferior STEMI.  Started c/o chest pain AFTER drop off.  Go in to see the patient again, she is hypotensive, diaphoretic, writhing.  Send EKG to nearest PCI center....because she's altered, wants CT head (in my tiny ER with no radiologist) prior to lysis and ship.  Had lytics ordered since STEMI EKG.   Choppers all out of range/at shift change.  Locals won't transport without a nurse.  Sup nurse won't let a nurse go.  Patient lysed, into a-fib with RVR nearly immediately.  Metop x 3 given with little change.  Finally get a crew and my amazing nurse agrees to go.  As they are wheeling her out the door she starts chatting away about grandkids and thrift stores...apparently talked the crews ears off the whole way down.  Arrival EKG without ST changes, sinus rhythm.  Unknown cath outcome.  Alone in a small town, only provider in the hospital.  Crazy stuff!! Makes me love ED more every day!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MrsGPAC said:

I have been striking out with dilt recently so have used metop a bit more (with obviously not much luck this time)

You probably already know this, but for others: Sometimes the dilt requires a drip after the bolus to be effective.

start at 5 mg/hr and gradually increase to 10 then 15. many places say rates > 5 require ICU monitoring.

11 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

You probably already know this, but for others: Sometimes the dilt requires a drip after the bolus to be effective.

start at 5 mg/hr and gradually increase to 10 then 15. many places say rates > 5 require ICU monitoring.

Yes!  And usually a dilt drip works splendidly! I have just apparently been grabbing the super stubborn a-fib recently!!

• 3 weeks later...

Had an interesting case that spanned yesterday and today when I came back on - mid 30's female, ~10/7 ish hx of increasing neuro symptoms.  Dysarthria, right sided power deficit, contralateral CNIII palsy, dyequilibrium, all sorts of weirdness.  Started varenicline about 1/12 ago, stopped after about 10/7 due to feeling weird and bad taste in mouth; serum sickness reaction in past to bupropion; 1 joint a day.  CT shoed diffuse white matter damage - got her in for an urgent MRI last night that didn't get contrast (much to neuro's ire) showed several lesions scattered throughout the brain; contrast MR today showed enhancing lesions thought to be an acute demyelination disease.  Re-consulted neuro - they're practically drooling on the phone.  The one I talked to the night before is thinking blasto, dude today thinking wacked out MS OR blasto or TB or other odd infection, South African attending I'm with today thinking HIV or lymphoma...me, I'm just thinking "Journal Article" regardless.  Alas, she got admitted in our urban tertiary care centre.

Incidentally, this was triaged as a CAT 4...

SK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Starting new per diem rural , solo coverage gig tomorrow in central WA. This place is a bit of a drive from anywhere so they provide housing on site if you want to show up the day before. Similar to full time job: 15 pts avg/24 hrs. nearest cath lab > 1 hr away, nearest trauma ctr farther than that. Hoping for a mellow day tomorrow so I can figure out where everything is, etc. They use electronic T-system , which is a fairly intuitive template-based system that I have used before.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Starting new per diem rural , solo coverage gig tomorrow in central WA. This place is a bit of a drive from anywhere so they provide housing on site if you want to show up the day before. Similar to full time job: 15 pts avg/24 hrs. nearest cath lab > 1 hr away, nearest trauma ctr farther than that. Hoping for a mellow day tomorrow so I can figure out where everything is, etc. They use electronic T-system , which is a fairly intuitive template-based system that I have used before.

T-System; be still my beating heart.  I have a confession to make.  I’ve actually been squirrel hunting as a little kid.  I remember watching one die on the step of an old Chevy stepside pickup in the early 60’s.  I seem to recall actually tasting it also.  THERE!  I said it.  I will never admit to having had kinfolk from southern Oklahoma near the Red River.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

• 4 weeks later...

rough recent case:

60 yr old very obese black female(350 lbs) alcoholic with hx of afib and rx noncompliance both to antiarrhythmic and anticoagulant therapy. call to EMS for near syncope. Found by them with afib w rvr rate to 180s. they gave dilt with pulse to 110. On arrival at ED pt alert/awake/pale(grey actually)/cool/diaphoretic with bp 200/120 and afib rvr at rate of 140(no stemi) with dyspnea. no chest pain. given additional dilt. rate to 110. dyspnea worsens(with clear lungs) bipap started and sats decrease from 95 to 70s on 100% o2. gcs from 13 to 5. intubated with ketamine and sux. BPs suddenly to 60s. ETCO2 and cxr confirms good tube. 2nd line started, fluids wide open, dopamine maxed, norepi maxed. bp 70. pulse 110. trop neg, d-dimer +( 4.2!!). case d/w hospitalist. decision to start heparin on way to scanner for probable PE with plan to give TPA if study +. . head ct neg, chest cta neg dissection or PE, but lower cuts show some blood around liver. heparin stopped, protamine given to reverse heparin, surgeon called. blood and cryo ordered. plts 50k. we have no platelets at this facility. initial h/h 11/33. dedicated ct abd/pelvis shows significant blood surrounding liver without obvious cause. abg ph 7.1. rate back to 150. cardioverted x 1 with return of rate to 110. To OR. liver is edematous/cirrhotic and weeping blood, most prominently from one location. surgeon oversews bleeder and 6l of blood suctioned. anesthesia continues 2 pressors and adds vasopressin.Fluids before OR 4L crystalloid, 2 units blood, 1 unit cryo. 6 additional units blood during OR tx. BP in ICU 110, Hr 110. pupils fixed/dilated. discussion with family to stop all pressors with death shortly thereafter. 90 min critical care time. this whole case sucked start to finish. I feel like I could use a drink, but that is probably not the right response to a death caused by alcoholic excess....sigh....maybe I will just spend some time yelling at newbies here on the forum who say PA is easy because you never have to make decisions on your own and it is a great lifestyle....as I work 6 out of 8 days, both holidays, with 2 24s and 4 12s because they could not find coverage other than me and apparently I am a glutton for punishment....

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

rough recent case:

60 yr old very obese black female(350 lbs) alcoholic with hx of afib and rx noncompliance both to antiarrhythmic and anticoagulant therapy. call to EMS for near syncope. Found by them with afib w rvr rate to 180s. they gave dilt with pulse to 110. On arrival at ED pt alert/awake/pale(grey actually)/cool/diaphoretic with bp 200/120 and afib rvr at rate of 140(no stemi) with dyspnea. no chest pain. given additional dilt. rate to 110. dyspnea worsens(with clear lungs) bipap started and sats decrease from 95 to 70s on 100% o2. gcs from 13 to 5. intubated with ketamine and sux. BPs suddenly to 60s. ETCO2 and cxr confirms good tube. 2nd line started, fluids wide open, dopamine maxed, norepi maxed. bp 70. pulse 110. trop neg, d-dimer +( 4.2!!). case d/w hospitalist. decision to start heparin on way to scanner for probable PE with plan to give TPA if study +. . head ct neg, chest cta neg dissection or PE, but lower cuts show some blood around liver. heparin stopped, protamine given to reverse heparin, surgeon called. blood and cryo ordered. plts 50k. we have no platelets at this facility. initial h/h 11/33. dedicated ct abd/pelvis shows significant blood surrounding liver without obvious cause. abg ph 7.1. rate back to 150. cardioverted x 1 with return of rate to 110. To OR. liver is edematous/cirrhotic and weeping blood, most prominently from one location. surgeon oversews bleeder and 6l of blood suctioned. anesthesia continues 2 pressors and adds vasopressin.Fluids before OR 4L crystalloid, 2 units blood, 1 unit cryo. 6 additional units blood during OR tx. BP in ICU 110, Hr 110. pupils fixed/dilated. discussion with family to stop all pressors with death shortly thereafter. 90 min critical care time. this whole case sucked start to finish. I feel like I could use a drink, but that is probably not the right response to a death caused by alcoholic excess....sigh....maybe I will just spend some time yelling at newbies here on the forum who say PA is easy because you never have to make decisions on your own and it is a great lifestyle....as I work 6 out of 8 days, both holidays, with 2 24s and 4 12s because they could not find coverage other than me and apparently I am a glutton for punishment....

Not taking meds didn't do her any favors but throw in the ETOH abuse and at that age I bet underlying CM is going to be the source of the AF (pulmonary disease is also a primary source for those who may not know or remember).  Helps to have adequate clotting factors but with a jacked up liver that probably was off the table as well.  I wonder why we don't routinely check INR's on folks with an ETOH abuse hx. (we already get the albumin on the CMP) on presentation lab workups if we want to actually know about liver function (not inflammation as one gets with LFTs)?  In that age demo I wonder if Hep (B/C) was helping along the ETOH component in destroying the liver as well?

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I wonder why we don't routinely check INR's on folks with an ETOH abuse hx. (we already get the albumin on the CMP) on presentation lab workups if we want to actually know about liver function (not inflammation as one gets with LFTs)?  In that age demo I wonder if Hep (B/C) was helping along the ETOH component in destroying the liver as well?

INR was 1.4 off coumadin for a month...

• 3 weeks later...

Had a person yesterday I had to transfer to an ortho centre that was hobbling about on a bimalleolar fracture for > 1 month without an XRay...with almost 30 degrees of talar tilt.  Person that initially saw them thought that inability to weight bear in a 60+yo didn't warrant an XRay...

• 4 weeks later...

at my regular job today. CRNA comes up to me and says" hey, it looks slow in the ED today, wanna do a difficult tube in the OR with me in 20 minutes". yes, yes I do. new pointer for big tongues: much smaller blade than you think you need so you have room for your tube in their mouth. easy peesy. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

at my regular job today. CRNA comes up to me and says" hey, it looks slow in the ED today, wanna do a difficult tube in the OR with me in 20 minutes". yes, yes I do. new pointer for big tongues: much smaller blade than you think you need so you have room for your tube in their mouth. easy peesy. 

Interesting. Kind of counterintuitive. Initially, you would think larger blade for more square inches to move more tongue out of the way. Really does make the viewing window smaller though. Good tip!

• 2 weeks later...