Why I love rural EM

• 2 months later...

So I started a new rural per diem job in april. have been doing 3-6 shifts/month. I applied for this position because I saw that they were not able to fill a half time position for quite a while. Looks now like they will. I am there today and spoke to the scheduling folks to see how this would affect me. Apparently the chief wants to add extra shifts on busy days a few times a month to give me regular shifts rather than have me do very occasional shifts. Nice to feel wanted and appreciated. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

After 6 years, left my place and started a new gig in an urban ER - the place my ortho patients go to from where I just left...and some ICU patients too.   A bit happier and much more relaxed, though have a 45 minute one way commute instead of 3.  My first real day, picked up an "easy" patient to start - small laceration to back of foot.  Noticed they were lame - turned out they lacerated their Achilles 🙄...Have had 2 ruptured ectopics in as many weeks...This is incidentally in the "Minor/Low Acuity" zone.  

My poop magnet followed me.

SK

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I mean, someone comes walking through MY house at night I'd probably attack 'em too!

Edit: On a review of other cougar attack wounds these look pretty different. Hard to judge without perspective but the distance between those marks seems to indicate a massive toe spread. 

Sure this guy wasn't up to some shenanigans? 

Edited by MediMike
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MediMike said:

I mean, someone comes walking through MY house at night I'd probably attack 'em too!

Edit: On a review of other cougar attack wounds these look pretty different. Hard to judge without perspective but the distance between those marks seems to indicate a massive toe spread. 

Sure this guy wasn't up to some shenanigans? 

coulda been up to shenenigans, but the hx was that those were bites, not scratches. He let me inject 10 cc of rabies immune globulin directly into the wounds, so if he was trying to fake me out for some narcs, he was committed and it worked. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool case:

Benadryl OD of > 4800 mg in an adult. classic anticholinergic toxidrome with confusion, hallucinations, agitation, weird nystagmus, etc

2 large bore IVs, Intubated soon after arrival. NG tube placed for charcoal. Foley placed. Arrival to ICU transfer 40 min.

Teamwork!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

38 y/o/m brought in by friends after "altercation".  Entire left side of face swollen, eye swollen shut.  Patient clearly intoxicated: slurred speach, stumbling.  He says he'll walk out - doesn't want to be treated.  I don't think he has the capacity to make an informed decision to go AMA.  Police called & respond: say they can't do anything - local prosecutor won't support arresting people for d/c or intox if they have come to the hospital for treatment.  But, the officers say I could put the person on an emergency detention order - Indiana's version of a mental health hold.  This requires a judge's signature.  Once I say I will, they tell the patient he has to stay.  They do a great job of verbally deescalating.

I complete the form and the copier emails the county judge - his email address is in there for just this reason.  I call the judge to alert him to the request and he answers personally - at midnight.  I describe the situation and he says it sounds like it makes perfect sense - that he'll sign the form as soon as he gets it.  Less than 5 minutes later, he calls back.  He's happy with the form, but I forgot to fill in a return email address.  He takes it over the phone and 3 minutes later I have the form.  Incredible personal and very friendly service.

Once shown the form,the patient makes an attempt to read it - clearly can't but does agree to stay.  Officer and I walk him to the scanner - he wouldn't stay in bed or tolerate a C-collar, and he gets his scans.  Fortunately negative - I release him and release the order, literally minutes before the helicopter arrives to fly out my non-compliant diabetic in DKA with a pH of 6.6.

Blessed to have such a great judge, and 4 officers from 3 different departments (75% of the LEO's on duty in 1 county and 50% of those on duty in the next county over) who together protected a patient who was a PITA from himself - and the hospital and me from a huge legal risk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Typical night:

• Nurse snapping green beans between patients
  • Treat & street: need for work note, 5 y/o/m with poison ivy guess where after peeing, onychomycosis, victim of DV, hyperglycemia w/o DKA
  • Admit 2: COVID-19 with mild hypoxia, 70 y/of/ hypoxia with no clear etiology - had COVID months ago, ? post COVID lungs
  • Discharge 1 unwanted guest from waiting room:

Bat @ hospital.jpg

Edited by ohiovolffemtp
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Nurses on the in-patient floor call me and tell me that a demented patient is looking out her window and thinks there is a drug deal going on in the parking lot.  It's about 03:00, the "parking lot" the patient sees is a gravel area where staff parks that has probably 4 cars in it, no people, and maybe the occasional raccoon on the way to the hospital's dumpster.  The nurse asks if I can drive through the parking lot with my red lightbar on.  Of course I do.  Of course the patient sees it.  Of course she thinks the police are there.  Of course she asks if the officer can come in and take a report from her.  🥺

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Nurses on the in-patient floor call me and tell me that a demented patient is looking out her window and thinks there is a drug deal going on in the parking lot.  It's about 03:00, the "parking lot" the patient sees is a gravel area where staff parks that has probably 4 cars in it, no people, and maybe the occasional raccoon on the way to the hospital's dumpster.  The nurse asks if I can drive through the parking lot with my red lightbar on.  Of course I do.  Of course the patient sees it.  Of course she thinks the police are there.  Of course she asks if the officer can come in and take a report from her.  🥺

Um, what is up with this? Side job as a tow truck operator? 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Volunteer firefighter paramedic.  Carry a pager, respond with red light & siren either to the scene or to the station.  Many of us, especially those that don't live close to the station have red lights & sirens on our personal vehicles.

gotcha. When I was a volunteer in philadelphia we got blue lights. 

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

You know you work at a rural hospital when you have 2 unrelated pts on your tracking board with a c/o "stepped on by cow". Great, we have a serial stomping cow in the community. 

Treated a patient who was about to lose a testicle after it had been stepped on by the bull that had thrown him off during a bull riding event at a rodeo.  He was asking when he could go back to bull riding.  I asked him if he really wanted to do this because "you just lost your only spare".  He still wanted to go back - go figure.....

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Treated a patient who was about to lose a testicle after it had been stepped on by the bull that had thrown him off during a bull riding event at a rodeo.  He was asking when he could go back to bull riding.  I asked him if he really wanted to do this because "you just lost your only spare".  He still wanted to go back - go figure.....

I saw a dude like that a few years ago. had orchitis with fever of 104. also wanted to go back riding...

• 2 months later...