Why I love rural EM

8 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

So shift is almost over. Just caught up. Started with a rapid response on the floor for a pt who needed bipap, followed by a peds code and a fairly sick DKA pt. We worked the peds code for 2 hrs. Every rhythm in the book. intubated , central line, 2 finger thoracostomies for good measure, 2 pressors, pacing, you name it. A few brief episodes of ROSC, but poor eventual outcome. This one was rough. 

We can only do our best, not every patient  can be saved. Strong work!

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 6:24 AM, EMEDPA said:

So shift is almost over. Just caught up. Started with a rapid response on the floor for a pt who needed bipap, followed by a peds code and a fairly sick DKA pt. We worked the peds code for 2 hrs. Every rhythm in the book. intubated , central line, 2 finger thoracostomies for good measure, 2 pressors, pacing, you name it. A few brief episodes of ROSC, but poor eventual outcome. This one was rough. 

My opposite number here had a youngster drown here with prolonged down time - they got ROSC but the kidlet died in ICU a day or two later.  The community across the lake from us had another kid drown the same weekend, PA there worked them for a long time but to no avail.  Serious suckage.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, sk732 said:

My opposite number here had a youngster drown here with prolonged down time - they got ROSC but the kidlet died in ICU a day or two later.  The community across the lake from us had another kid drown the same weekend, PA there worked them for a long time but to no avail.  Serious suckage.

Kidos get beyond reasonable resuscitation efforts, I couldn't face myself if I did less.

Edited by CAdamsPAC
clarity
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Before starting to work in the southwest, I had some experience treating severely intoxicated patients, but nothing like what I do on a daily basis.  The hospital I work at in northern AZ is right outside a reservation.  The res is dry but the town isn't.  We routinely see patients with blood alcohols in the 400's.  Our ED has a semi-circle of wheelchairs with large chux pads on them and seatbelts.  We evaluate these patients and if there are no other concerning findings, patients are put there to "metabolize to freedom".  Sometimes they get IVF and/or banana bags.  They then sleep until they can ambulate reasonably well and then they leave.  It's not uncommon for them to return the same day, having gone off, consumed more, and then being found again by PD or someone who calls 911.  Almost all have no interest in treatment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Before starting to work in the southwest, I had some experience treating severely intoxicated patients, but nothing like what I do on a daily basis.  The hospital I work at in northern AZ is right outside a reservation.  The res is dry but the town isn't.  We routinely see patients with blood alcohols in the 400's.  Our ED has a semi-circle of wheelchairs with large chux pads on them and seatbelts.  We evaluate these patients and if there are no other concerning findings, patients are put there to "metabolize to freedom".  Sometimes they get IVF and/or banana bags.  They then sleep until they can ambulate reasonably well and then they leave.  It's not uncommon for them to return the same day, having gone off, consumed more, and then being found again by PD or someone who calls 911.  Almost all have no interest in treatment.

One of the reasons I  lost interest in inner city university EM!!

10 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

sounds like one of the facilities I work at...vacation destination. Nice summer weather. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sk732 said:

Scary thing is for some, that's their sober level...

What always concerned me  was the residents  in the ED feeling that these patients  needed to sober up before they could leave the ED!! I couldn't  convince  many that these people  lived at what would be seriously  drunk for you or I. It usually took a senior  attending or a ED hallway  etoh withdrawal sz to get through  to them to turn chronic  inebriated  folks loose in their own steady state!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CAdamsPAC said:

What always concerned me  was the residents  in the ED feeling that these patients  needed to sober up before they could leave the ED!! I couldn't  convince  many that these people  lived at what would be seriously  drunk for you or I. It usually took a senior  attending or a ED hallway  etoh withdrawal sz to get through  to them to turn chronic  inebriated  folks loose in their own steady state!

Take that one step further and trying to get some psych nurses/MD's to interview them when they're suicidal - "Well, they have a high ethanol level", despite me (who see's them regularly and knows when they're level is actually high) telling them that they are quite sober when you talk to them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sk732 said:

Take that one step further and trying to get some psych nurses/MD's to interview them when they're suicidal - "Well, they have a high ethanol level", despite me (who see's them regularly and knows when they're level is actually high) telling them that they are quite sober when you talk to them.

our psych folks won't see them until they are less than .08, so they end up getting phenobarb, ativan, and clonidine to ward off withdrawal....then they are "too tired to participate meaningfully in their exam". 

• Sad 3

Or the mental health workers in CO who require someone to be in the ED for 12 hours if their UDS pops positive for meth, even if they have been medically cleared and are clinically sober.  1) it is CO - meth is everywhere 2) meth will continue to show positive in a UDS for how many days?  (rhetorical, it's at least 3)

Sigh, like EMED says, nothing like being bored in an ED to get people to leave AMA.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CAdamsPAC said:

circular logic to prevent psych transfer/admission!

How polite of you to describe obstruction like that 😎...you sure you're not Canadian?

6 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Sigh, like EMED says, nothing like being bored in an ED to get people to leave AMA.

I help the boredom by ensuring their bladders are full - encourages them to wake up faster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/28/2023 at 10:12 AM, sk732 said:

How polite of you to describe obstruction like that 😎...you sure you're not Canadian?

I help the boredom by ensuring their bladders are full - encourages them to wake up faster.

And........no lunch boxes!

• Like 1

Well, I am not a coffee drinker, nor do I enjoy Tim Horton's donuts! So that excludes me from being a Canadian, but I am a Hoser!

Just treated my 1st case of HAPE - high altitude pulmonary edema.  Rx: IM dexamethasone, 1 duoneb neb tx, 1 full tank of gas to drive to lower altitude.  Pt was on an elk hunt, got up to about 12,000'.  Been here less than 1 week, lives at about 800' elevation.  Fortunately, pt has no hx of respiratory or cardiac dz and is a non-smoker.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2