Why I love rural EM

Depends on pay, average patints per day, length of shift, and then quality of hospital (ie: nursing staff, policies, etc).

My primary contract is 4.5 hour drive. Pays great, averages 8 ppd, I do 72 hour shifts (almost exclusively during week), and they pretty much let me pick what days I want first. There are major nursing problems there.

These things all vary. Just depends on what you are willing to accept.

I mean, it's great that you have a private space to unwind/sleep between patients, but 72 hours is 72 hours, and this is coming from someone who's spent the last 18 years working 24 hour shifts.. 

That's gotta be mentally exhausting.. 

not if you see 3-5 pts/day, work out, watch movies, eat free food, etc. I did some 72s as a medic. it's doable in a low volume scenario.

• Upvote 1

What Emed said.  I am able to do 72 hr shifts at a place that sees an average of 8 pts/day.  Sometimes it SUCKS...saw 15 yesterday, including admitting 5 between 2300-0400 this morning, then a psych walked in just as I was done.  I was tired...   But then slept in till 1130 this am, and I've only seen 4 all day so far.  This place also pays very well.

I sometimes will work at places that see 3-5 pts/day, but they don't pay as well as this place.  

If I can do this for another 4-5 years I will be able to retire again, this time relatively comfortably.  Of course, I'll probably continue working, but will just cut wayyyyyyy back.

• Upvote 2

I'm looking at 6 24s/mo in a few years at a very slow place with very high acuity and 1 weekend/mo at my fun coastal job (to be social and because I bought a condo there near the beach). so 8-9 days/mo. I'm only doing 12 now, but there is some unpleasant driving involved.

• Upvote 1

We had a pt with a massive PE yesterday - 4 hour code before the helicopter could get in to extract...was like being in a final exam of an old school ACLS course, since we must have gone through pretty much all the algorhythms and then some..  Of course we had a blizzard going at the time, so all highways leading in or out were closed due to blowing snow and the bird couldn't fly until mid afternoon.  We actually could watch the improvements in JVD in person and RV function by ultrasound as the tPA infusion kicked in.  Was really hard to go pick up the next case - teenager that ingested a lethal dose of tylenol...will see how the N-AC goes I guess (very positive APAP level at 5 hours post, about the time they were brought in). 

Answer your question there AD?

SK

Death by tylenol is HORRIBLE. Watched a remorseful teenage girl die 20 years ago after the ingestion caused liver failure and she lived - for a while - miserably in failure and not a transplant candidate due to suicide.

Rotten way to die.

I am not rural and in FP not ER but running specials on snow shoveling chest pain and heart arrythmias today.

Plus the lady who started having TIA number 7 in 5 days right in front of me in the room - never told anyone about the first 6 episodes...... She got a chariot ride downtown.

Doesn't have to be rural to be weird but I envy the rural stuff.

Today's high temp was 9 by the way with over 20 inches of snow on the ground.

Today's high temp was 9 by the way with over 20 inches of snow on the ground.

I wish our high was in single digits...-29C this morning with windchill down to around -40 odd.  Not good dog walking weather...it warmed up to -20 and still had frozen body bits and major league shrinkage.  Dogs were happy though.

Incidentally, found out PE patient died at ICU.  Tylenol patient had normal LFT's today - scanned them going to visit dad today.

SK

• Upvote 3

nice experience at the rural job yesterday. was pretty busy at the beginning of the shift with 3 sick pts at once so I missed lunch in the hospital cafeteria. lady who runs the cafeteria comes over right after they close, hands me a plate of lasagna, and says" I didn't see you over there so thought you might be busy and need this".

bless you.

this is just reason #10 of 5 million that I no longer work at a busy inner city trauma ctr where no one knew my name after 15 years there or would notice if I missed a meal or worked sick as a dog as long as I showed up.

• Upvote 9

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this in another thread, but had a 40 yo female yesterday, C/C of "my legs hurt for 5 days after working out for 15 minutes on an elliptical.  I just joined the gym that day".  I must admit to rolling my eyes when I read that (hadn't had enough coffee yet and my first case of the day with a full dept handover)...my eyes went from rolling to bugging out when her CK came back after 3 dilutions at 40,783.  My first case became my first admit of the day, lol.

SK

• Upvote 5