Shake things up a bit

This forum has been slightly boring lately. Everyone must be taking vacations w/ the family!

So here is a question:

What little things still irk you about hospitals and their lack of insight into PA's as providers?

Ex: The 'Physicians only' hospitality room that most physicians don't care if PAs hang out in, but administration won't change the sign to 'Providers' or something of that sort. Really? It's always the little slights that get me...

Any reference to midlevel

hospital lumps all "midlevels" together including PhD, CRNA, NP, CNS, PA and others - we did just get them to change this I think

only just got the right parking stickers to get in the "doc" lots

progress

why the heck can't we order VNA and Hospice

The midlevel thing is bothersome. The VNA and hospice law is atrocious. Those things are going to take time and lobbying as a whole by the national groups. Keep the pressure on.

Any way that PAFT or AAPA could do some contacting of the national human resource associations and major hospital HR depts and send some official statement letters regarding the 'allied health' designation? I'll do some contacting in my area. It is hard for students and practicing providers to figure out where to look for jobs, much less in the wrong place.

Baby steps.

Guest Paula

Fabulous idea, rev!  Today I emailed the recruiter for my organization and asked for statistics on PA vs. NP hiring patterns to see if there is a bias towards NPs (anecdotally there is one).  Haven't gotten a response yet.  If they are PA unfriendly I guess I will have to write up a report card on them. 

I go to the physician's lounge all the time and steal fruit and soda from the frig.  I was told during my  orientation that the lounge was open to all APCs too.  So I'm not really stealing but it feels a little like I am sneaking in and when I told the other new employee (NP) she was surprised that I did that.  Heck, It's my reward at the end of the day.  I haven't ever run into any physicians yet.  The apples are good ones too. 

I park in the doc lot cuz that's where I'm supposed to park.  They just haven't changed the signs to say provider lot. 

I bet the Doc forum is irked because they are now called providers instead of doctors.  LOL! 

Why the heck can't we order VNA and Home Health and Hospice????   It irks me too.

And why the heck can't Sec Burwell get the DME law implemented on a timely basis?  Still getting my orders sent back for doc signature and the docs are sick and tired of it all.  

The other thing that irks me is when a state chapter says it's not a good time to push for changes to our laws.  (Is it EVER a good time)? 

Guest Paula

Oh, yeah, one more thing.  It irks me when I am the one that discovers the problem that a patient has had several visits for to other providers and somehow the admitting doc gets all the credit and even when he references my work his note says the patient was seen by me but no reference that I am a PA.  For all I know other readers could think I was the janitor who called the admitting doc to get my sick and cancer ridden patient admitted.

Bleh.

the hospital forces my collaborating doc of record to sign off on all my students, although he never meets any of them...what, after 14 years at the same place I'm not good enough to teach a 2nd yr pa student how to suture on my own authority?

midlevel...... I'm not sure who I am in the middle of? Is it just me? How about... advanced practice provider (APP)

I always wondered - if we are in the middle who are the "low level" providers? RNs? I know a few that would take issue with that label.

midlevel...... I'm not sure who I am in the middle of? Is it just me? How about... advanced practice provider (APP)

I dislike "midlevel" because it reinforces the concept of levels or ranks, when it's really not about that. But "advanced practice provider" is silly for the same reason. Advanced, compared to what? MDs get more "advanced" training (in embryology, cell bio, basic sciences stuff) and I guess residency is nothing if not an "advanced" form of practical training.

Calling me "advanced" just smacks of overcompensating. Like "yes, we totally thought you were a medical assistant but now we see you're WAY beyond that." Please.

We should standardize all PA programs to offer the Masters in Clinical Medicine degree, and we should be "clinicians." I'm pretty sure that 99% of all PAs who work in any specialty practice clinical medicine, right? NPs can be clinicians, too. So can MDs and DOs, but they're physicians and it would be nice if they stuck with that.

febrifuge, I was just suggesting something, anything other then "midlevel".

Does your "advanced" training in becoming a PA make you feel insecure? Do you not have more "advanced" training then say a paramedic? or RN?    

As for the "clinician" title. 2 days ago I was sitting  with my wife in the ophthalmology office when a person walked up a said "hello, I'm xxxx and I am your eye care clinician, please follow me".  I'm sure (at least I think) this person had zero medical (or ophthalmology) training. she just pushes the buttons on the computer(s) that test for glaucoma and peripheral vision. Then she said "have a seat, the doctor will be right with you soon". Is she a clinician? She called herself one.   

I agree, we should standardize PA degrees. This would at least give us common footing.       

Archived