How many career prior to becoming a PA?

Pharmaceutical Sales Rep

Medical device sales

--resigned and started pre-requisites in August

Just found out I have an interview in 10 days!!!

I've been in sales but some of the reps I met were making 200k a year. Could you discuss the field

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Hello, All,

It is refreshing to see such variety in life-experience prior to PA; thank-you for sharing.

Independent Contractor in Outdoor Amusement (yes...a Carny) - 4 years

Tattoo Artist - 5 years

Paramedical Tattoo Artist - 5 years

Perioperative Assistant - 2 years

Central Service Technician - 5 years

Graduate April 2011. I've scheduled the GRE for July, and am looking very forward to applying in the next cycle!

I've been in sales but some of the reps I met were making 200k a year. Could you discuss the field

Sure, I would be happy to. I actually just got a call about a month ago from a top company that offered me a job selling surgical supplies. (at this time I had only received rejection letters from schools I applied to). They suggested that I should expect about 150k within the first year. After thinking everything through, what I really really want to do is to be a PA, so I had to turn it down. Regardless of the compensation, I always felt unfulfilled, because no matter how much I was passionate about medicine, I couldn't really make a direct impact on helping people. With those kinds of jobs, reps I spoke to always had marital problems, never got to see their kids, and had to drive separate cars to take their wife to dinner in case they got paged (for positions in trauma). I don't have a family now, but I eventually want one, and want to be there for them. That to me is worth the school debt and not even making as much in the end. I can say this---every rep I've spoken to has been extremely encouraging--saying if they could do it all over again, they would be a PA.

I am a medical device sales rep. for a JNJ operating company. Our average rep makes about 120k-140k per year. Our top rep made about 500k in 2010 (outlier). On the low end I know a rep who made 75k in 2010. You also get a free car, gas and phone. I think the basic question is do you care more about money or taking care of people? From my experience reps are looked at as outsiders. They may help out at times, but they are all about money. I know!!! It is generally the only factor, which determines if you keep your job. With that said, if you truly care about patients you should not even consider being a sales rep. For me it was a job to tie me over until I could finish all my prereqs I didn't take with my Finance undergrad degree. If you do decide to go the sales rep route head to the South, South East or West. The Mid West and Northeast are horrible from a sales standpoint. Places like Mayo Clinic and other managed care facilities practice great medicine, but are terrible places to sell. These place are most prominent in these regions of the country. In general the people who make a lot of money are from the South or West. Yes, there are anomalies.

Finished up prereqs in 2010. I put in my resignation last week. Start PA school in August! No more free car, gas, phone and easy paycheck, but I will be happy everyday I go home knowing that I am helping people versus just myself.

Yes, reps make around that range, depending on what division they're in. (ie: disposables, capital equipment, orthopaedic-joints, orthopaedic-trauma, spine, etc), most are set up through a distributorship in which their reps are independent contractors, with the exception of a few companies. For me personally, I did a lot of soul-searching, and I know the lifestyle and impact on patients to be a PA is worth it.

Archived