start 2015 (class of 2017)

How much weight do you think the gpa holds in the over all selection process? My focus was not in academics during my undergrad.

I did really well after I returned to school to complete the pre-requirements but when you look at my over all GPA is only a 3.0 and my GRE is about 302.

I've worked as an EMT on a private ambulance and worked in the emergency room as a tech. I've clocked close to 5000 hours over the past year. (I left one job to go to the other and attended classes full time...) I thought if I clocked tons of hours in the year it might open a door for me. I have a great story but they'd have to interview me to hear it.  What do you all think?  brutal honesty is ok.

What did you get on the writing portion of your GRE? They like to see at least a 4.

Also, the way CASPA is set up is that after you enter all your classes with the letter grade it calculates your overall GPA and then science GPA. If your overall GPA isn't great but you did well on the pre-requisites you should be fine.

You definitely have enough experience hours and hopefully your rec letters are solid as well.

Good luck!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Bjackarmy0001, I have gotten confirmed even though it took almost 4 weeks after I had sent all

Of my stuff in.

@Jande100 Will you please post when you do hear? If they still have contacted someone who confirmed almost two months before me, then I won't panic just yet. Hopefully they will start speeding up these interview dates. I may call on Friday if I haven't heard anything to get an update

Looking through the interview itinerary tonight, can anyone give more info about the group portion? Are there multiple staff members asking questions to multiple applicants? If so, do they direct questions toward you personally or do they ask openly and leave it up to the applicants to speak up for themselves? Also with the individual session, do they have multiple staff members asking or just 1 on 1? I have had a few interviews already and they are all so different. Feel free to pm me as well. Thanks! Good luck to everyone! :)

Looking through the interview itinerary tonight, can anyone give more info about the group portion? Are there multiple staff members asking questions to multiple applicants? If so, do they direct questions toward you personally or do they ask openly and leave it up to the applicants to speak up for themselves? Also with the individual session, do they have multiple staff members asking or just 1 on 1? I have had a few interviews already and they are all so different. Feel free to pm me as well. Thanks! Good luck to everyone! :)

Multiple faculty with multiple applicants. They ask both group and individual questions. The one on one interview is with the same faculty you had in the group, except just you, and really is just a time to tell you if you got in or not.

I called the other day and they told me that if you updated your file (like after Fall Semester classes ended) your confirmation time is pushed back to whenever you most recently updated. All of my things were received in early November, but she said I am mixed with the Dec confirmations because I updated. (That is, if I understood her correctly.) She seemed hopeful that I would hear something in the next 6 weeks or so! So if you updated like me, don't expect anything yet :)

@ jtameler5441

I got in from January interview too,!!! What group were you in? I was in A, my name is Tanya Bunch.

For everyone else getting ready to interview. Totally agree with others. Practice interview questions, especially from Rodican's Ace the Interview book. When u get there, first 30 minutes is socializing and bagels with coffee and Oj. Then dean's welcome and introducing faculty, student volunteers for the day, and intro of each candidate. Then broken into groups of 3-5 by ABC of last name for a tour. Then groups A-D did group interviews while E-G did med term tet and writing sample. Then swapped. In interview they had each of us answer each question, but randomized the order we answered. They'd ask person specific follow up questions depending on our answers. Then all went to lunch - I hear it's always Mellow Mushroom pizza. Then they have us do a short survey about what we thought of the interview process. Finally into a holding room where current students showed a presentation about Knoxville, answered a ton of our questions, and we were pulled out one by one to meet individually with the faculty from our group interview. They tell you if you're in, wait listed, or not ready for the program. Faculty meets during lunch and students presentation to decide on candidates. There's no reason for order they call you back. May be ABC order.

I interviewed here last year also. If not accepted on the spot, they will talk to you about any recommendations to be a better candidate. My weak area was my undergrad science grades from many years ago. But ALL of my prereqs I redid for As, and new classes lie anatomy were As. I took a couple more classes recommended last year and I know that what swung things in my favor, since my GRE was 313 with a 5 on writing. Plus I'm an MA.

If you're worried about an area, do your best to strengthen it any way you can. And make sure you've got a solid reason for why it is weaker and what you're doing about it. And if you REALLY want to be a PA, PROVE IT! It took me 3 years, but I finally got n.

Archived