start 2015 (class of 2017)

Apple687,

I would highly suggest your consider retaking the GRE.  I was told a 300 combined score was the threshold they really look at, with a 4.0 analytical score.  Beyond that anything is basically just bonus.  It's not that they won't look at anything below 300, but you are playing "catch-up" right away, and you are pretty well below at a combined 280 - and the 3.5 hurts also.  Everything else doesn't look bad.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I will post my stats:

CASPA GPA: 3.48

Undergrad: 3.42

Post Baccalaureate: 4.0

Current GPA (after CASPA verified): 3.6+

GRE Verbal 167 and Math 160; 4.0 analytical

Health Care Hours: ~600

Shadowing/Volunteer: 100+

3 strong recommendations (PA, Anesthesiologist, and college professor)

Would love to have more health care and shadowing hours, but to be completely honest I have only been fully pursuing this since March 2014.  I was a teacher for a few years and left teaching last February to get my CNA license and begin finishing prerequisites.  So, my health care experience has been a bit limited.  I am currently a student at South College, finishing my prerequisites and have done extremely well in all of my classes - which I think will help.

Guess I will post my stats:

CASPA GPA: 3.48

Undergrad: 3.42

Post Baccalaureate: 4.0

Current GPA (after CASPA verified): 3.6+

GRE Verbal 167 and Math 160; 4.0 analytical

Health Care Hours: ~600

Shadowing/Volunteer: 100+

3 strong recommendations (PA, Anesthesiologist, and college professor)

Would love to have more health care and shadowing hours, but to be completely honest I have only been fully pursuing this since March 2014.  I was a teacher for a few years and left teaching last February to get my CNA license and begin finishing prerequisites.  So, my health care experience has been a bit limited.  I am currently a student at South College, finishing my prerequisites and have done extremely well in all of my classes - which I think will help.

Great job!  Being a student guarantees you an interview :)

So I just visited the campus yesterday. I was in the Knoxville area and decided to go poke around. Since I was there on a Saturday, all the rooms were closed up, and I didn't really see anything. To be honest, I was a bit shocked when I drove up to see that the "campus" is just a single building in an office park. I'm so much more used to the traditional looking school that this really threw me off. Several people have posted here that they found the facilities to be very nice, so for those of you who have attended South or have seen the full facilities, what can you tell me about their technology? Do they have sufficient access to practice rooms for office and hospital settings? Are there simulation dummies and are they up-to-date? I'm assuming they don't have cadavers, so how does the gross anatomy class work?

I have a friend that is in her first quarter and she does not have class on Friday.  You should try to go to one of there informational sessions.  There facility is really nice.  They seemed to have sufficient practice rooms and they do have up to date simulation dummies.  That was one of my favorites things when i visited.  Im not sure about the cadavers. 

South College is not the "traditional" college at all, but they seem to make it work.  Last I was told they do not have cadavers, but a lot of schools do not.  They do have sim dummies, but I can't remember how many they said they had at their information session.

I would also suggest trying to attend one of those, very helpful.

Ok, before you look at my stats and judge me.... I know my undergrad GPA is HORRIBLE. I will be taking the GRE very soon. I just praying for a shot. I cant go back and re-do undergrad. Any other suggestions?

Undergrad-2.99

Masters psy- 3.5

I took science classes again- 3.8

HCE hours- 10,000+

Do you think i will have a shot?

VLsmith,

Depending on how many credits you retook and the level of classes, they may likely look more heavily at the 3.8 than the 2.99.  Another key would be how long ago you had your undergrad, and then the GRE can be another indicator.

If you don't get in this round, one suggestion may be to try and explain a bit the reason for the change in GPA from undergrad to post-baccalaureate.

It states, college cumulative GPA of minimum 2.75, prerequisite GPA of minimum 2.75, and science prerequisite GPA minimum 2.75.

So, to answer your question, yes they recalculate based on what exactly they look at.  The college cumulative would include every college course you have ever taken.  The prerequisite GPA would only focus on South College's PA school prerequisites.  The science prerequisite would focus only on the courses that were prerequisites AND science courses.  BUT, while the "strongly suggested courses" are not included in the prerequisite and science prerequisite GPA calculations taking them gives you "extra points" on your application/interview.

Lastly, not to burst anyone's bubble, but if your GPA is borderline over that 2.75 the rest of your application will need to overcome that.  Usually that can be quite difficult.  One of the best ways to do that is to take further classwork and DO WELL.  Not only will that actually raise your GPA, but it can possibly show a trend of success. 

VLsmith,

I used magoosh GRE study, and while I only took the GRE once I did feel that it helped.  I'm sure many of the other study materials available are good, but I liked the interactiveness and explanations magoosh offered.  It can be a bit expensive, but I was able to catch a sale and it wasn't too unreasonable.

Also, when I said explain the upward trent in GPA I was talking about the CASPA essay.  Hopefully that won't be necessary, but if needed that would be important to address.  While it is not apparent in my stats I listed above, I definitely had a slow start to college.  My GPA was mid 2s finishing my sophomore year, but I got it together and pulled it up.  Since then I have continued to pull it up.  This trend was something I commented on in my essay and would not be surprised if further questions are asked by South or other PA schools I hopefully interview at.  Just something to think about.

@SCPrePA11 Thank you for your question! And @mgriffiths thank you for such a clear answer! With all of the researching that I have done, it seems that I misread the admissions requirements multiple times. I have some seriously low grades pulling down my calculated CASPA GPA. But since you clearly stated they recalculate the GPAs based upon their specific prerequisites, that totally changes things for me! Since I have retaken many classes, I was able to fix my undergrad GPA. But I had decided to not apply to South based upon my CASPA numbers. But I am thinking they don't look at those science GPAs quite as closely as their own calculations. If anyone disagrees, please let me know!!! Thanks!

P.S. I recently drove up to MI (and have done so many times in the last few years, since I completed my undergrad up there). I pass South College on I-75 each time, but have never stopped and looked around campus. I am thinking of doing so as I make my way back down the highway this coming weekend. From the highway,  it looks like a very simple and small campus. But that seems like a good thing to me. Everything is close! I'm thinking I'll get out and walk around campus as I pass through :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I wanted opinions on whether my application is too late to be considered or not. I read above that interviews are not going to start until January this cycle so maybe I am okay. I submitted my CASPA, GRE, fees, and supplemental last week. My CASPA was verified back in June but I spent time researching schools to which to apply as far as out of state (I'm from florida) and making sure I was spending my time accumulating more HCH. 

stats: (according to caspa)

biology major

overall undergrad gpa- 3.7

science undergrad gpa- 3.6 

gre- verbal 150 quant 153 writing 4.0

I am a CNA, home health aide, and I just recently got 

hired as a scribe in the emergency room at sarasota memorial hospital

I am just greatly concerned that I applied too late for this cycle. Does any current student have advice? 

thank you :) and good luck to everyone!

@KellieH: Personally, I think you've got a really good shot. The boards here are full of people who applied later and got in, and your stats are great. And so far, it appears no one's gotten an invite. I'd say if you submit now, you're pretty much on the same playing field as the rest of us!

@CSCH: Thank you so much for your reply to my post! I'm glad that it seems as though my late application won't hinder me in any way. Some things have changed since my CASPA was verified so I e-mailed the program to let them know. I hope that we all hear back quickly. Good luck to everyone! Looking forward to (hopefully) meeting you. 

I am a current 3rd year student at South (graduate this December! wooohooo!) and I did not apply until late late (February) in the cycle. I still got in. All bets are off! of course, it is better to apply early, there are more spots, it is a rolling admissions process, but if you are a good candidate, you have a great shot of getting in! Just continue to work and improve every chance you get, and keep in touch with the school. I have not heard when interviews will start, but chances are they won't start until January. We used to do them starting in November, but this time of year is the busiest for our school with a graduating class, a white coat class about to start clinicals, and a brand new class starting didactic... they may be choosing to wait until January. 

Good luck to everyone! I will try to check back here more regularly for questions.. clinicals kept me very busy

Hi lassibk,

I was going to take my GRE in January and apply. Would that be too late? Good for you that you were accepted with the late application. I was going to apply to Touro Univ. 2 months before the deadline and called the college before I spent more money to apply. The admissions person told me they had picked their class and closed applications. Since PA schools are more competitive I wonder if South is closing their cycles early like the other PA schools. 

I also received an invitation to interview on November 21st! 

Did anyone who has received an invitation confirm and receive an email stating that you were confirmed for that day? I too read that "it was essential to confirm before October 27th" however I received the email today (28th).

Thanks!

Archived