If you haven't heard yet....

Nope. Not true. In some cases, in many states, in fact, a physician needs at least 2-3 years of residency. They also need to pass all three USMLE steps.

Applicants to become a licensed Medical Doctor must meet either the requirements for Licensure by Endorsement or Licensure by Examination to proceed with the application process.

LICENSURE BY ENDORSEMENT

For Licensure by Endorsement, the requirements are as follows and can be found in Chapter 458.313 F.S.:

Be a graduate of an Allopathic US Medical School of a school recognized and approved by the US Office of Education (AMG) and completed at least one year of approved residency training

OR

Be a graduate of an allopathic international medical school (IMG) and have a valid Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate and completed an approved residency of at least 2 years in one specialty area

OR

Be a graduate who has completed the formal requirements of an international medical school except the internship or social service requirement, passed parts I and II of the NBME or ECFMG equivalent examination, and completed an academic year of supervised clinical training (5th pathway) and completed an approved residency of at least 2 years in one specialty area

And both of the following:

Passed all parts of a national examination (NBME, FLEX, or USMLE) and

Licensed in another jurisdiction and actively practiced medicine in another jurisdiction for at least two of the immediately preceding four years; or passed a board-approved clinical competency examination within the year preceding filing of the application or; successfully completed a board approved postgraduate training program within two years preceding filing of the application.

LICENSURE BY EXAMINATION

For Licensure by Examination, applicants who do not hold a state license or who have not passed a national examination, the requirements are as follows and can be found in Chapter 458.311 F.S.:

Be a graduate of an Allopathic US Medical School of a school recognized and approved by the US Office of Education (AMG) and completed at least one year of approved residency training

OR

Be a graduate of an Allopathic international medical school (IMG) and have a valid Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate and completed an approved residency of at least 2 years in one specialty area

OR

Be a graduate who has completed the formal requirements of an international medical school except the internship or social service requirement, passed parts I and II of the NBME or ECFMG equivalent examination, and completed an academic year of supervised clinical training (5th pathway) and completed an approved residency of at least 2 years in one specialty area

And one of the following:

Passed all parts of a national examination (NBME, FLEX, or USMLE) or currently licensed in the U.S. or Canada, and has actively practiced pursuant to such licensure for at least 10 years, has passed a state board or LMCC examination, and passed the SPEX examination

I know an MD right now who was a PGY-2 pathology resident and didn't finish his second year of residency. He was unable to match or SOAP in any specialty. He cannot get a license. I know another resident who was a PGY-2 ortho resident who cannot get a license in his new state and cannot join the program he rematched in.

It's not as easy as that.

Thanks for the info.. Here in the Carolina's, all that is needed is pgy1 for a full medical license. Residency completion may be needed for hospital staff ( usually is), but you are a fully licensed mad after intern year.

Other states, and your examples of course, excluded.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This evolved incredibly quickly.

Everyone needs to take a step back, and calm down. Stop thinking emotionally. I don't see how this could hold up, even if signed, in a court of law. The qualifications to become a physician assistant are very clearly defined in each state's legislature, and by the NCCPA and ARC-PA.

This literally was passed in a 2 week time period. That is incredibly fast. I predict that this will be challenged in the courts (IF even signed) and that we would win.

Remember though, you need to think like a legislator. This makes COMPLETE sense to a legislator. "Let's see. I have a shortage (or looming shortage) of healthcare providers in my state. I have a small group of educated students who have graduated medical school but cannot match into a residency...why not use their education? Where can we put them? Hmmmm. Why not make them PA's? They'd be supervised, and would help to expand the provider pool, and by extension coverage."

I don't agree with this......but I can see their line of thought and reasoning very easily.

Here is the exact wording ,

COLLABORATIVE PRACTICE ARRANGEMENTS WITH ASSISTANT PHYSICIANS (Sections 195.070, 334.035, 334.036, 334.037, Section 1)

This act allows certain medical school graduates to obtain a temporary assistant physician license in order to enter into "assistant physician collaborative practice arrangements" with a physician. An assistant physician collaborative practice arrangement shall limit the assistant physician to providing only primary care services and only in medically underserved rural or urban areas of this state or in any pilot project areas. An "assistant physician", is defined as any medical school graduate who has passed the prescribed medical examinations and who has not entered into postgraduate residency training prescribed by rule of the State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts. The act prescribes the other requirements to be licensed as an assistant physician and specifies certain practices an assistant physician cannot perform.

The collaborating physician is responsible at all times for the oversight of the activities of, and accepts responsibility for primary care services rendered by the assistant physician. A licensed assistant physician shall enter into an assistant physician collaborative practice arrangement within six months of his or her initial licensure and shall not have more than a six-month time period between collaborative practice arrangements during his or her licensure period.

Guest Paula

wow...forwarded to president of PAFT...

Emed....we have been discussing this with the board and a letter has been developed.  @physasst......we already had our PAFT  president tell us to calm down for the exact same reason but we still must not sit back on our laurels and do nothing.  I'll keep everyone posted if PAFT hears anything from AAPA.  The letter may go directly to the Missouri governor but we have to have all our facts and ducks in a row........

AAPA Statement:

On May 16, in the final hours of its 2014 session, the Missouri Legislature passed Senate Bill 716 (SB 716), a comprehensive bill amending several public health laws.

AAPA joins with the Missouri Academy of PAs (MOAPA) in being extremely disappointed the bill contains language authorizing the Missouri Board of Healing Arts to license medical school graduates who have not completed a residency as “assistant physicians,” practicing within the confines of a collaboration agreement with a physician and restricted to providing primary care services in rural and underserved areas.

The bill also states the federal government should consider assistant physicians practicing in Rural Health Clinics to be considered “physician assistants” for the purpose of Centers for Medicare & Medicaid regulations.

The governor has not signed the bill into law at this time.

AAPA and MOAPA strongly oppose the assistant physician title and concept. The language has the potential to jeopardize PA practice and confuse patients, health systems and other providers. It is unfortunate that the Missouri State Medical Association and the Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons did not take into account these negative ramifications when they supported it.

Both AAPA and MOAPA were actively engaged in opposing this language since its proposal in a standalone bill (HB 1842). All our trusted sources, both inside and outside of the Missouri Legislature, had concluded the bill was not going anywhere during this legislative session.

However, in the final week of session, it was inexplicably and suddenly incorporated into a larger bill (SB 716) with broader, positive public health provisions that resulted in its passage, even though AAPA and MOAPA continued to express opposition to the assistant physician language.

AAPA and MOAPA are working together and pursuing all avenues to reverse this action. Our efforts include:

Considering whether to seek a veto of the bill by the governor

Working with other medical organizations and consumer groups to oppose this provision

Writing opinion editorials to educate patients and providers in Missouri

Working with the relevant state and federal regulatory agencies to present the difficulties in implementing this provision

The 2014 Missouri legislative session had been extremely positive for the PA profession until the passage of the negative provisions in SB 716. Due to the strong advocacy of MOAPA and AAPA working in partnership, legislation was passed to authorize PAs to enroll as Medicaid providers, a key step in helping to improve access to care for underserved Missourians.

humm

I like the idea of forming a unified front - I don't like the idea of sitting back

I like the idea that maybe this is the time to address the name change

They can be Assistant Physicians

We can be Physician Associates (able to supervise Assistant Physicians)  After all it is rural underserved areas.....

And we can move to a collaborative agreement with a hospital system, or group of physicians, sole physician, or admitting privileges at a hospital...

I must say it sort of shoots the whole "name change is too hard" to rest - simply takes one bill.....

Will this be a rallying cry for all PAs to get behind forward movement of our profession and making us more present in the eyes of the public or will those who are asleep, remain asleep?

Realistically though, how much can we really do? If a bill is sponsored by our small numbers to say change our name, or even to say only PAs and NPs can be non-physician providers, all Big Brother Almighty Medical board has to do is say "no!" "And oh by the way we just made up a new profession, what can u do about it..."

Disgusts me...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Active using Tapatalk.

Guest Paula

Aren't there like 93,000 pas out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there are.  How many are even aware of PA practice issues?  Maybe 100 or so?  

Does anyone know if the Missouri Nursing Board supported this bill?  I would think they would also be up in arms about this - as this also affects their jobs.

No doubt, this isn't fair to PA's or NP's and you know the nursing association doesn't tend to sit back quietly and let their profession get shit on.

That's it?

Sad isn't it? It's interesting how I hear of people complain that the cost of AAPA mbership is so high but as a PADI Scuba Instructor I pay over $220 annually to renew my professional certification with them to teach and certify not including my insurance at $600+ or including equipment insurance to only make $5.27 per module per diver / per each dive. And here I see people complain who are making near six figures and then to top it off the ones who are members don't even vote. It's so backwards that it's discouraging for all the new PA students when they see so much apathy within the profession.

Here is the link to the voting results.

http://www.aapa.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2482

Only 2259 PA-Cs voted this past AAPA election. Seems like PAs don't care as a whole about getting involved with the future of their profession or job security or expanding their scope of practice.

It's this apathy that has me concerned for the future of our profession.

My personal observations of PAs (in NY which has the highest number of PAs) are that many (dare I say >50%) of the PAs I have interacted with during my short 4+ year career as a PA are content being an "assistant", see it as a job not a career and don't support our organizations (AAPA, PAFT, state societies), while ridiculous legislation is proposed and is on the cusp of passing and NPs fight the PA profession every step of the way (as mentioned they have far greater members, member support and lobbying), are unaware of practice issues as Paula said and don't seem to care if it doesn't affect them in their state (how NPs have far greater practice rights, unnecessary and burdensome restrictions on our practice decreasing our marketability compared to NPs in many states).

Mentioned Missouri senate bill 716 to a fellow PA yesterday, only question to me was "What state?" "Missouri". End of conversation.

Archived