If you haven't heard yet....

This is an email from the President of the Missouri PA Society

May 20, 2014

On behalf of the Missouri Academy of Physician Assistants (MOAPA), I have some unhappy news to share.

A legislative proposal that we have been monitoring since the start of the legislative session has passed the state legislature. Senate Bill 716 is a comprehensive bill amending several public health laws, including one which has the potential to confuse patients, health systems and other providers. This particular amendment contains language authorizing the Board of Healing Arts to license physicians, unable to find a residency match, as “assistant physicians,” practicing within the confines of a collaboration agreement with a physician, and restricted to providing primary care services in rural and underserved areas. Further, the language within SB 716 contains a provision which states that “An assistant physician shall be considered a physician assistant for purposes of regulations of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).”

MOAPA worked with our lobbyist, Jorgen Schlemeier, to oppose the “assistant physician” language within this bill. This language was authored by Representative Fredericks, who has been a friend to PAs, and was supported by the Missouri State Medical Association or the Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons.

You may ask why MOAPA has not previously informed our PA colleagues of this bill. When this provision was initially introduced it was thought to be highly unlikely to pass. The proposal seemed to be in opposition to the high educational standards set for physicians. AAPA staff and our lobbying team continued to monitor activity on the legislation, which inexplicably began to move aggressively in the last week of the legislative session. The language moved from one legislative bill, to several, to finally settle in SB 716, which passed on Friday, May 16.

We will be in contact with you within the week to inform you of MOAPA’s next steps and potential efforts to seek a veto on this bill. To complicate the situation, SB 716 contains several positive public health measures such as extending Medicaid benefits to pregnant women and flu immunizations for hospitalized seniors. As a result, MOAPA must tread very carefully, upholding the standards of our profession while also considering the health and well-being of our patients, who may benefit from other positive aspects of this legislation.

Please also share this information with your physician colleagues, as they may not be aware of this provision which will negatively impact their profession.

Thank you again for your continued assistance and commitment to our profession. Please watch your email for further updates!

Regards,
Paul Winter, PA-C
MOAPA President

Paul Winter MOAPA President

News from the President of the Missouri PA society.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now we can be fourth class providers

MD>assistant physician>NP>PA

or maybe this actually makes us

MD>assistant physician=PA>NP

either way it is not good

Where was AAPA on this?   This is another example of them dropping the ball in a HUGE way

Notice the part where it basically says, "Why haven't you heard of this before? Well weren't going to say anything because it probably wouldn't pass"  Oh come on! Plus, the Association and the lobbyist "monitored" the legislation?  Isn't the lobbyist supposed to, say, LOBBY!?!?!

And of course the state legislature only got active on the subject in the last week....when does a legislative body ever not do anything at the last minute???  Just change the name from Congress to Procrastinate

Guest Paula

Wow.  A resident who couldn't match now can be an assistant physician.  That is unsafe and PAs have more educational hours with our 2000 hours of clinical training.  How on earth did this pass?  Where was NCCPA?  How can one state have the power to let CMS declare "assistant physicians" to be considered physician assistants?

This reminds me of the missteps of the HITECH act that AAPA screwed up on.  The thought of assuming gets us nowhere. 

I am stunned.  

But then....if it truly passes all physician assistants in Missouri who work in primary care and rural and underserved areas need to declare themselves as assistant physicians and start looking for residencies, as I'm sure the "newly minted assistant physicians" will continue to do.  Why not challenge  the Missouri Medical societies in this manner and the Missouri PAs need to stand up and rebel.  Oh, boy PAs are in for a huge mess.

Stunned as well.  It's a bit embarrassing on MOAPA's part as well.  If the representative is truly a friend to PA's in the past, the organization and the lobbyist should've been in contact with this person and knew what was going on- which it sounds like they did.  Usually, though, representatives have a decent idea of what bills will pass and what won't, so either this representative lied about how much this bill had a chance to pass (being backed by both physician groups), or MOAPA didn't know how to interpret what they were being told.

Were docs in Missouri getting afraid of PA advancement there?  

Anyone feel any sort of consolation that the physician groups feel that at least these docs who aren't worthy of a residency are now equivalent to PA's?

Guest Paula

Stunned as well.  It's a bit embarrassing on MOAPA's part as well.  If the representative is truly a friend to PA's in the past, the organization and the lobbyist should've been in contact with this person and knew what was going on- which it sounds like they did.  Usually, though, representatives have a decent idea of what bills will pass and what won't, so either this representative lied about how much this bill had a chance to pass (being backed by both physician groups), or MOAPA didn't know how to interpret what they were being told.

Were docs in Missouri getting afraid of PA advancement there?  

Anyone feel any sort of consolation that the physician groups feel that at least these docs who aren't worthy of a residency are now equivalent to PA's?

Nope...no consolation here.  It's a slam on the PA profession that a state legislature could possibly think an unmatched resident is equivalent to a PA.   Now, if they stated that real PAs could be the collaborating physician for the newly minted assistant physician and it gave Missouri PAs an automatic promotion to Physician, with an MD license and complete CMS privileges...then.......ok. 

We can't get a name change because it's too complicated.  Yet with the stroke of a pen, an entirely new profession ("assistant physician") can be created, and instantly all members of that new profession automatically become members of an entirely different profession (physician assistants).  Crazy.

We can't get a name change because it's too complicated.  Yet with the stroke of a pen, an entirely new profession ("assistant physician") can be created, and instantly all members of that new profession automatically become members of an entirely different profession (physician assistants).  Crazy.

Understatement of the year.  I would hope name-change dissenters take note of this

We can't get a name change because it's too complicated. Yet with the stroke of a pen, an entirely new profession ("assistant physician") can be created, and instantly all members of that new profession automatically become members of an entirely different profession (physician assistants). Crazy.

Exactly what I've been saying. Everyone talks about how complicated it is, but it has a simple, single line to establish the scope of a "assistant physician" is the same as ours.

Guest Paula

AAPA needs to be pressured to step up to the plate and address this legislation.  If they don't, then they need to just go away as they would effectively say we are irrelevant.  I propose that all of us write them a letter asking them what their plan is to either thwart the legislation or to get us all promotions immediately with physician standing and licenses plus CMS recognition that we really are physicians.  

Guest Paula

Maybe this will finally be the kick in the ass that some people need to open their eyes.

Anyone want to take bets on whether this even makes it into the AAPA HOD this weekend?

I highly doubt it will be announced but should.  Someone there should stand up and start asking questions in front  of all PAs to start the revolution.  I am not going.  IF the AFPPA resolution for collaboration fails then we are all in BIG trouble.  Who will be the brave soul to start the discussion about the Missouri issue and how it relates to the AFPPA resolution.  Think about it.  We stay assistants and unmatched residents become assistant physicians with collaboration (not supervision) in rural and underserved areas.  Why did the MOAPA not offer a solution to make the PAs the assistant physicians with collaboration instead of this solution.  The representative who they say is a friend is not and neither are the physician "PArtners"...tongue in cheek intended. 

Guest Paula

I'm still a Pre-PA and I can't believe I had to be the one to put this out there instead of AAPA tackling it or at least acknowledging it....

OMG...it takes a PRE-PA to care about our profession.  Thank you.  If I had the authority I would automatically offer you a spot in a PA school as we need forward thinking students to take this profession to the 21st century.  We are still in the 19th I think.  

OMG...it takes a PRE-PA to care about our profession.  Thank you.  If I had the authority I would automatically offer you a spot in a PA school as we need forward thinking students to take this profession to the 21st century.  We are still in the 19th I think.  

Yep...joined the state PA society to learn more about it and keep current trends in mind.  #5 on the waitlist at school I applied to and now reapplying for back-ups....scary to see this is what could possibly lie ahead for me...

Guest Paula

Joined...is there anyone that can forward the OP to PAFT?  I didn't see anywhere on the website to do so, and I am certain they will want to know about this.

I already contacted the board and cut and pasted the letter to all of us.  We have been  having a serious discussion for the last hour and planning on how to address this and to do it expeditiously before the start of AAPA meeting.  

This is bad for physicians too. FMGs and unmatched physicians across the country and world will flock to Missouri in droves. It will push primary care physicians out of jobs. Cheaper = better in a lot of employers minds.

I'm a PA applicant, but own and manage an ortho surgery practice. We've had physicians apply for MA jobs in the past.

I already contacted the board and cut and pasted the letter to all of us.  We have been  having a serious discussion for the last hour and planning on how to address this and to do it expeditiously before the start of AAPA meeting.  

Thank you...Haha sorry to ruin your Tuesday

Archived