Empiric antibiotic guideline

Hello. Does anyone know a good resource for a good "cheat sheet" of empiric abx for various in patient issues? Eg VAP, HAP, aspiration, sepsis, surgical wound, DM, foot, etc... This is something I never got a clear picture in school for beyond the basics, although out pt abx is not so bad. I don't want to become one of those providers who vanc/zosyn's everyone. And I have read the published online ID guidelines for sepsis and PNA but was hoping for more broad list. Thanks for any help.

i like sanford, and i believe they have a phone app too now but haven't used it.... then I had to learn the local resistance patterns. Turns out Sanford's "gold standard" just doesn't work everywhere for everything... 

BTW - your program and mine must have had the same abx approach. definitely had to self-study that one A.LOT. on rotations. best of luck :) 

Agree that Sanford is the gold standard BUT a little difficult to use quickly. I consider it a reference. I'm also very fond of EMRA and recommend it highly. We should all read and periodically review the IDSA guidelines which has marvelous charts by bug and condition. I also like Hopkins Antibiotic Guide but I've had trouble using it lately.

I have the Sanford app (our pharm prof is doing some research and got it free for our class for two years now). I like it a lot. It's intuitive, easy to find empiric therapy, and has a tables/tools section that is quite helpful. The app updates monthly as well so it is up to date.

I have heard the Hopkins book is good but only available to employees or residents etc.

Also for those using Sanford app does it crash often? I have heard it does. Also it seems expensive and there's two separate apps for abx and other meds from what I read but I could be wrong.

My Sanford app has never crashed.

Archived