Oceania University PA--> MD?

Guest Paula

I have seen ads for these caribbean schools in PA/NP journals and last year one of them was advertised in an AAPA flyer that went out in the announcements for the annual AAPA meeting.   I thought it was quite ironic AAPA would take advertising dollars from an offshore medical school.   Was it a subtle freudian advertising slip?

One of my girlfriends teaches for OUM and has for about 3 yr. She's something of a curriculum expert and was brought on board to beef up their pathophys and improve the online course modules (she's also taught online for the ATSU and Nova DHSc programs and is core faculty at Nova PA program).

Just recently found out that one of our former students has been accepted and will start OUM studies this August. I'm still concerned for her in terms of rotations and residency but she's a smart cookie, quite a go-getter and very self-motivated. She has a family and couldn't uproot them to go the LECOM APAP route.

Her hospital is footing most of the bill so I am keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Long ago I considered these distance programs but I know that I am in no way disciplined enough to do it on my own without regular exams and seat time in a classroom. I also didn't want to risk not matching to residency. The LECOM APAP track was the safest bet for me.

....or maybe not then... hahaha

Truthfully though, I am happy where I am at professionally. I have thought of pursuing a doctorate but really just tired of school (not to mention school debt!!! ) at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

One of my girlfriends teaches for OUM and has for about 3 yr. She's something of a curriculum expert and was brought on board to beef up their pathophys and improve the online course modules (she's also taught online for the ATSU and Nova DHSc programs and is core faculty at Nova PA program).

Just recently found out that one of our former students has been accepted and will start OUM studies this August. I'm still concerned for her in terms of rotations and residency but she's a smart cookie, quite a go-getter and very self-motivated. She has a family and couldn't uproot them to go the LECOM APAP route.

Her hospital is footing most of the bill so I am keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Long ago I considered these distance programs but I know that I am in no way disciplined enough to do it on my own without regular exams and seat time in a classroom. I also didn't want to risk not matching to residency. The LECOM APAP track was the safest bet for me.

From what I see and hear I think you made a wise decision

Be aware that even with an MD from this school and even passing all 3 steps of the USMLE and even doing a residency you may be denied a medical license because of the online nature of their education. Some US states, like California and Oregon, look down on this sort of education and will deny a medical license application to anyone who has done any part of their education at this sort of school. Other states follow the decisions of California and Oregon, which effecively cuts out a large portion of the US.

Caveat emptor! Buyer beware.

and it is still FOUR years long.......

if they talk 3 years with some distance learning that is more doable

Prima - how did your friend get a hospital to foot the bill for med school?   that might be the ticket (to de-stress the financial side) of returning to med school

last Year Match for US residency has 25k spots and 40K applicants ... out of 25K spots US Grads are filling about 80% and  20% for FMGs .Now FMGs has less than 35% matching rate which will become less than 10% in 2015 as US Grads will be equal in Numbers around 25 K.   

Good Luck 

Guest Paula

^^^^^^ and therein lies the problem.  Residency matching is not even guaranteed for US med students and I cannot imagine what a student goes thru to not get a spot.  It must be extremely stressful and in my mind....criminal that a student is denied a match.  

There is something terribly wrong with the system.  

PA you can practice medicine ... but can you necessarily take and pass step 1, especially X years into your career?  I wonder how much this program prepares you for those exams esp if part time and online ? I wonder if they post pass rates ? I think the LECOM bridge program is by far the best move.

Id rather my family be treated by a PA with a good education and experience who is confident in what he/she does.

PA you can practice medicine ... but can you necessarily take and pass step 1, especially X years into your career?  I wonder how much this program prepares you for those exams esp if part time and online ?

AFAIK it's not uncommon to find med schools that don't take attendance.  Lectures are recorded and posted online.  Even LECOM has a pathway where it's largely self-directed in that the students have to manage their time and master the material outside of the lecture hall.  Providing multiple learning modalities is the future and this school's particular way of doing things may work for many but not all. 

Archived