Prerequisites Complete: What coursework to take at Community College?

I graduate with my BS in Psychology this May, but have only completed the minimum of prerequisite classes (in good - but not amazing - academic standing).  I've decided to take an extra year (Fall/Spring) to bolster my academic profile and increase HCE before applying.  I'm currently debating between Physics 1 + 2 and Genetics + unknown Spring course.  

Important factors to consider:

- Physics 1 + 2 would be NON-CALCULUS

- Genetics (and the other Spring course) - would be a 200-level class (since it's being taken at a CC)

Any suggestions on what I should do here?  I know some schools will make an issue of taking Genetics at a CC (as it is traditionally taken at a university), but I also imagine taking a non-calculus based physics would evoke similar responses (again, at a CC).

Thanks in advance gang

Does the CC offer a Cellular Biology course? Anything in the realm of Pathphysiology? Have you taken any organic chemistry or biochemistry courses?

I've taken Bio 1 + 2 and Cellular Bio.  Sorry forgot to mention I took that at my university, but it's also listed as a 200-level class at PSU.

Am taking Orgo 1 + 2 at CC in Fall/Spring.  The Physics or Genetics + Unknown are designed to supplement everything else.  Pathophysiology is not offered at the CC and I do not believe Biochem is (although I can check).  I would definitely go the Genetics/Biochem route if Biochem is offered in the Spring

If you've finished your required prereqs and you're just trying to bolster your application, the first thing to consider is how confident you are that you can get an A in the courses you're considering. A lot of admissions is just a numbers game, and the most important number is your GPA. For your situation, I would argue that an 'A' in Film Appreciation would help your application more than a 'B' in physics.

If you struggled with your other prereqs then you are probably going to struggle with physics. Even if you're a natural at the subject, physics departments seem to get a disproportionate share of professors with high expectations and poor teaching methods.

I agree with the above posts. I personally really enjoyed physics 1 and 2 and could actually see how this would have more of an impact, long term, then some other required courses. I'm not sure of any schools which specifically require physics but would like to know them if someone does know. 

Some CC courses are just as hard as the universities. My high school AnP class was 10x harder then the one at the state school. A course is only as good as the instructor that teaches it. Sadly some PA schools do not honor CC credit, you will just have to call and find out. 

I agree with the above posts. I personally really enjoyed physics 1 and 2 and could actually see how this would have more of an impact, long term, then some other required courses. I'm not sure of any schools which specifically require physics but would like to know them if someone does know. 

Riverside CC, Red Rocks CC, Grand Valley State U, Bethel U, U of Findlay, and  U of Oklahoma (both campuses) and the schools I wrote down that require physics

I enjoyed my yr of physics with lab(took in 2002 when I was really thinking hard about medschool) and found it much more interesting and applicable than chem , but as mentioned above very few pa programs require it.

Would you take Physics over Genetics though?  That's my primary dilemma.  I imagine Physics is very useful, but Genetics just seems so much more directly applicable.

If you've finished your required prereqs and you're just trying to bolster your application, the first thing to consider is how confident you are that you can get an A in the courses you're considering. A lot of admissions is just a numbers game, and the most important number is your GPA. For your situation, I would argue that an 'A' in Film Appreciation would help your application more than a 'B' in physics.

If you struggled with your other prereqs then you are probably going to struggle with physics. Even if you're a natural at the subject, physics departments seem to get a disproportionate share of professors with high expectations and poor teaching methods.

I have A's and A-'s in everything except for Chem 2 where I got a B- and I haven't take Orgo yet although I think I'll do very well (I'm just not good at log and natural log math problems - Chem 2).  Genetics seems like the better choice because it's directly applicable to medicine.  I'm not saying physics isn't, as all of it's mechanics obviously apply to everything (including medicine), but I imagine an Adcom would like to see prior success in biology/chemistry more than physics.

I have A's and A-'s in everything except for Chem 2 where I got a B- and I haven't take Orgo yet although I think I'll do very well (I'm just not good at log and natural log math problems - Chem 2).  Genetics seems like the better choice because it's directly applicable to medicine.  I'm not saying physics isn't, as all of it's mechanics obviously apply to everything (including medicine), but I imagine an Adcom would like to see prior success in biology/chemistry more than physics.

I see. You could probably handle physics okay, then. However, if you're only taking one class per semester then don't think adcoms will put a whole lot of stock in your success. It will up your GPA a little bit and that will help, but adcoms want to see how you handle a full course load. Getting an A in a single solitary class doesn't prove you can handle the rigors of PA school, and I doubt the fact that you were working during this period will do much to sway that opinion. Take the class that you want to take.

I see. You could probably handle physics okay, then. However, if you're only taking one class per semester then don't think adcoms will put a whole lot of stock in your success. It will up your GPA a little bit and that will help, but adcoms want to see how you handle a full course load. Getting an A in a single solitary class doesn't prove you can handle the rigors of PA school, and I doubt the fact that you were working during this period will do much to sway that opinion. Take the class that you want to take.

All of my prerequisites have been taken 1-2 at a time during 17-18 credit semesters and working ~30 hours a week.  I shouldn't have too much of an issue in the "you weren't challenged enough" field, at least I'd hope not.  Additionally, while I'll only be taking two classes in the Fall/Spring, I'll also be working at least ~50 hours.

And any school where an Adcom doesn't take into consideration work schedule with class schedule is not a program I want to attend.  All of my work is direct HCE, so if an Adcom were to dismiss my future semesters due to lack of credit load...I will simply consider an alternative program or career.

And any school where an Adcom doesn't take into consideration work schedule with class schedule is not a program I want to attend. All of my work is direct HCE, so if an Adcom were to dismiss my future semesters due to lack of credit load...I will simply consider an alternative program or career.

This is an excellent point! I was working full time, and studying full time, then went to a class per semester to finish my BA just because my class and work schedule did not work out together. Nobody ever asked me how come I only took one class at a time. I want to say it should not be a concern at all!

Good luck applying!

This is an excellent point! I was working full time, and studying full time, then went to a class per semester to finish my BA just because my class and work schedule did not work out together. Nobody ever asked me how come I only took one class at a time. I want to say it should not be a concern at all!

It isn't a concern if you've already shown you can handle a full course load. It's when you're trying to redeem a rocky academic history that you need to think about how you're going to prove you can do well under a heavy curriculum.

To the OP, bear in mind that on CASPA your work history and your academic history are kept separately. You might consider slipping it into your personal statement that your were working 30 hours a week while taking a wicked course load.  I agree that this is something they should consider but I would not trust adcoms to put those two things together on their own just from looking at your application.

Archived