Post-Bacc Classes While Working Full Time?

As a recently graduated student going into her gap year, I have a question for those who have been in my same situation. My undergrad GPA is below the normal average for an admitted student into a PA program. I am planning on enrolling in post-bacc classes in order to meet some pre-reqs for certain schools, and just to raise my GPA overall and hopefully show admissions committees that I have grown since my first couple years of college (the years that hurt my cGPA). But, how do you all do it? I am planning on being a CNA, but I can't work day shift due to classes that normally occur during daytime hours. I've thought about trying to get 12 hour shifts so I have a few days off during the week to sneak some classes in. I can work PMs or nights, but I'm worried about being too exhausted going straight from a night shift into classes the next day. Community colleges cater to working students by offering online and night classes which would be super helpful, but do many PA schools look down on community college coursework? I'm stressing out thinking about how this is all going to play out so any words of advice or personal stories would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck with applications!!

Have you considered taking online classes? I’m working full time days right now and that’s what I’m doing. 🙂 all the programs I’m applying to next cycle do accept online courses for pre reqs! There are a lot that are self-paced so you can complete them when you do have free time

9 minutes ago, Alliepop said:

Have you considered taking online classes? I’m working full time days right now and that’s what I’m doing. 🙂 all the programs I’m applying to next cycle do accept online courses for pre reqs! There are a lot that are self-paced so you can complete them when you do have free time

I am taking a few online courses this summer, but they are all through a local technical college. I'm just concerned that a bunch of other community college courses will raise some questions when schools are reviewing my application.

I work full time days and have been taking classes at a local community college in the evenings. I think that’s the best way to go. It’s hard and there are long days but I did it while pregnant and then with an infant/toddler so it’s doable. Programs I’ve looked at don’t seem to mind if it’s a CC but many do not accept certain classes online.

It all comes down to how bad you want to do it and how much social life you are willing to sacrifice. I work full time night shift and go to class afterwards sleep in my car sometimes. its doable just sacrificing social life in for sleep and homework. prioritizing time is important. 

I have been working 52 hours a week while doing full time school. My classes are Monday and Wednesday from 1:00pm-9:00pm and all day Fridays. I work 12 hour shifts as a CNA on Sunday and Tuesday nights from 7-7. I work Tuesday and Thursday during the day at a clinic as a scribe from 9:00am-4:00pm. I work a full 12 hour shift during the day on Saturday from 7:00am-7:00pm. 

It is exhausting and I don't have much free time but you can schedule meals with friends or hangout Thursday and Friday evenings. I study a lot during my night shifts as a CNA. Take as many online classes as you can, but in person classes can be taken on Monday, Wednesday and Friday if you can't do them online. I have a CNA job as a hospital that lets me keep a schedule that works. Naps are huge, especially Sundays after church.  

It's doable. I worked full time Mon - Friday 8am to 4pm and had classes Tuesday through Thursday starting at 4:10pm till about 9-10:30pm in the evenings. Got A+s in my classes. 

It takes a lot of sacrifice and dedication. Yea it sucks when you can't go hang out with friends all the time or feel like you have time for yourself, but if you keep your end goal in mind, you can do it. It's all about time management learning effective ways to study. Remember - work smart, not hard. 

Thanks all! I guess I'm just struggling to find classes that would fit into a full-time work schedule, but I'll look into more online or CC classes. All of your hard work and stories are honestly inspiring and I hope it pays off soon! Good luck with your future endeavors!

Consider MWF work week with TTH school days.

I worked typically worked 14's on MWF with occasional 16-18 hr and got my money that way.

School on TTH, but got to study ahead because no time on MWF.  Weekends good time to get ahead as well.

I made myself stay below 12 credits at a time for regular semester and max of 8 credits for summer courses.

Similarly had a lower GPA that needed some work.  Now moving into clinical phase in PA school.  They did not care I took CC courses.