How to convince FM Physician to allow moonlighting at ED

Here is my dilemma...I am currently going through credentialing for a local ED PRN.  I am supposed to be fully credentialed by mid April and on the schedule for May, however, I just got the May schedule and I'm not on it!   When I asked them about it they told me they are short 144 MLP hours and are working on approval...this prompted me to start applying for an additional job in the area (I recently turned down an ortho job that would have required me to relocate bc I want this ED opportunity to work out).  I went to an interview last week with a nice Family Practice right next to the hospital.  I really like the practice and they seemed to like me.  They extended an offer (which is half the hourly pay of the ED) on the stipulation that I cannot moonlight at all!  I am not willing to give up the ED opportunity even though it is only PRN (may be a bad move, but I have already turned down many offers to make this work, so why stop now)

Anyone have success convincing a doc to let you moonlight??  He had told me that even though I would not be taking call, they want me to be avail for an emergency. 

Yes, he knows it's the ED.  I almost think he is trying to secure a png term commitment.  As though he may be secretly concerned I would leave if offered a FT position wight he ED... which in all reality I would!  However, I would be willing to sign over a year to the Family Practice.

Guest Paula

Are you offered a decent salary with the FP job?  At half the hourly rate of the ED salary I'm thinking you are not being paid much?  If they absolutely refuse to allow you to work per diem then do what Emedpa says.  Are you a new grad with experience in ED? 

The salary for the FP is $37/hr. This FP position is a perfect comfy first job with a decent training period. In time, I know I will get bored with it. The ED opportunity I've been given a shot at is rare for a new grad and I'm not willing to let it go.

In a perfect world I would work in this FP and log experience m-f for about a year while doing 3-4 per diem shifts/mo on the weekend and then go FT when I have a little more experience under my belt.

Sure agree to the restrictive FP contract, but in it put that they have to pay you $25,000 a year for you to not work Per Diem anywhere else.

They are taking money out of you pocket!

No way no how would I let that fly...... and BTW I once was handed a contract like that and went back to them and had them change it....

No WAY!

i would walk away from the fp job. the hiring doc is a rat. your getting paid way to low and cheated out of alternative income opportunities. it also locks you into one job. i would caution all new grads from accepting m-f positions that can be used to manipulate you. do you think that this would be in contract with a fellow physician? i think not. demand to be treated along the lines that a physician would be treated. never be afraid to walk away from bad jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up convincing the FP to allow me to moonlight in the ED on the weekends :-)

I was about to start this new position with this FP until I contacted the ED to let them know my new avail and they proceeded to offer me a FT contract for my open availability!  Please and thank you!  Interesting how things have a way of working out sometimes!  I'm nervous as hell to start FT in the ED though.  FP would have been a nice comfy start, but oh well...I've never done things "nice and comfy" so why start now? ;-)

I ended up convincing the FP to allow me to moonlight in the ED on the weekends :-)

I was about to start this new position with this FP until I contacted the ED to let them know my new avail and they proceeded to offer me a FT contract for my open availability!  Please and thank you!  Interesting how things have a way of working out sometimes!  I'm nervous as hell to start FT in the ED though.  FP would have been a nice comfy start, but oh well...I've never done things "nice and comfy" so why start now? ;-)

you made the right choice....

Well done

Excellent that you reset the expectations of the FP as well so the next person that they offer the job to hopefully will not have to fight that battle.  In general I don't think that ANYONE should agree to not working somewhere else - that is total bull and just shows the control mentality of the doc's.

Sounds like it worked well for you!!  congrats!

It was very nice to read your post, E and Ventana.  I started doubting my decision a little bit this morning because my fiancé keeps talking about how the FP would have been a better family life and we would have had more connections in the community, blah blah blah.  

Oh well, the decision is made.  Thanks again everyone!

It was very nice to read your post, E and Ventana.  I started doubting my decision a little bit this morning because my fiancé keeps talking about how the FP would have been a better family life and we would have had more connections in the community, blah blah blah.  

Oh well, the decision is made.  Thanks again everyone!

It's the right choice to pick the job that will likely be more interesting and fulfilling to you.  You will be happier and that translates into a better family life regardless.

Unbelievable how fast things can change...

Just got a call from ED recruiter who said the person I spoke with yesterday has no authority to make such an offer and that they do not give new grads FT contracts.

Awesome.  Back at square-freaking-one.

Guest Paula

Unbelievable how fast things can change...

Just got a call from ED recruiter who said the person I spoke with yesterday has no authority to make such an offer and that they do not give new grads FT contracts.

Awesome.  Back at square-freaking-one.

Oh, crum.  Do you still have an opportunity to take the FP job with ED part-time (with a higher salary at the FP job)?

No, I tried to contact them today...that bridge is burned. So bummed. Can't wait until I can look back and laugh. I keep telling myself they would have overworked me anyway. They wanted me to see one patient very 15 mins for the full 8 hours...unless they were a new pt and then they were allowed 30 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived