Should I retake gen chem or ochem in community college?

Hi everyone,

I already graduated with an undergrad degree but I would like to boost up my gpa by retaking classes in community college. I got B's on my general chemistry classes and C's on my ochem classes. I want to know which chemistry classes I should take again ? I know some PA schools don't require ochem as the prerequisite, so is it better to retake general chem to boost up the science GPA or to retake the ochem classes just to boost up my overall GPA?

Thanks!

And your help is greatly appreciated!

Ochem! Also, pick up a copy of "Organic Chemistry as a second language" by David Klein. Awesome book...buy his text book to is you have money to spare and you will truly begin to enjoy the material. 

I second this. Great book that thoroughly explains almost everything that gave me difficulty throughout the course.

Retake low grade classes. It would a bad idea to retake hard science just to upgrade your cGPA. I would suggest taking easy classes @ CC instead. Classes like typing for example. Or any classes you're sure you will As them. While you at it. Become an EMT-B or volunteer at free clinic. Anything to burst your application & makes you stand out. It is increasingly becoming very competitive getting acceptance. So, you've got throw everything at it. Just my 2c

I would probably only retake O chem if the schools you are looking at require it, because CASPA does not replace grades. However,  even schools that don't require might like that you had the determination to retake a hard course to receive a better grade, so I suppose you could go either way on that. I would definitely take somewhat easier science courses like microbiology or other science courses you have not yet taken that will allow you to increase the pool of schools you are eligible to apply to. Also, I took the many of my pre-reqs at a community college for financial reasons, but I would make sure that the top schools you are looking at don't have a strong preference for courses taken at a four-year institution. 

• Administrator

I would suggest taking easy classes @ CC instead. Classes like typing for example. Or any classes you're sure you will As them.

I'm not sure that's really the best advice.  The worst thing you can do is take easy classes and get lousy grades.  I'm not sure whether adcoms would like to see hard classes with OK grades, or easy classes with A's.  But what you can REALLY do to make your application stand out is take lots of hard classes and get As in them.

I'm not sure that's really the best advice. The worst thing you can do is take easy classes and get lousy grades. I'm not sure whether adcoms would like to see hard classes with OK grades, or easy classes with A's. But what you can REALLY do to make your application stand out is take lots of hard classes and get As in them.

^^^ The above I doubt are realistic or ideal. And, here is why. The OP is looking for ways to boost their GPA. Taking hard science classes with no guarantee of As them won't do it and horrible approach. Furthermore, just merely taking lots of hard sciences as you recommended above won't makes their app stands out. By doing so, the OP would risk to improve their GPA. There's a lots of factors at play here if one need to enhance their appl stand out NOT just taking hard sciences. There isn't lots of hard science at CC beside org chem & maybe few higher level bio. 4yrs institutions are where you would find lots of hard science classes per my definition of hard science. Mind explaining to me why one should pursue hard science beyond basic PA program requirement? Makes no logical sense. I would pursue an MD/DO route instead, if you want hard science. Hard science on your transcript may send a wrong message to adcom. They might think you're an MD/DO applicant, and, that you maybe using PA as a backup. With respect to retaking org Chem with a C. I would check with the program of interest if they would accept a C & take it from there.

Archived