Aiming to be a PA, but dont know where to start (freshman in college)

Hello PA Forum,

I am new to the pre-PA path, and I am a bit overwhelmed by the things that need to get done over the next years. I am finishing up my freshman year and have decided that getting into PA school is my goal. After some research I have come to the understanding that I need to have prerequisite courses completed. However, I am very lost on where to start. Some schools require upper level this and lower level that. I dont want to waste any more time then I already have, given that I have been a CS major for my entire first year, so Im very worried about making the wrong choices for next semester. Here is a run down of the classes I've taken as a freshman CS student (I will switch out to another major). Keep in mind I have not taken introductory English courses because of AP college credit. 

1st Sem:

Bio 101, CPSC 120, POSC 100, Pre-Calculus

2nd Sem: 

Geology 101, CPSC 121, Calculus I, HCOM 100

What should I take this summer or in the fall? I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Registration is in a few weeks and I do not have too much time to make a decision on my fall classes. I was thinking of taking a more challenging course over the summer so I could focus on it by itself, and maybe take psychology next semester, but I feel like im missing something like chemistry or anatomy.

Edited by Kalebmi20
I put pre-alg instead of pre-calc. What was I thinking?

Take a deep breath and don't get too stressed out.

I would take some time to look at which schools you're interested in (recognize this will probably change quite a bit) and make a spreadsheet of all of their requirements. This is what I did. Also keep in mind that your school will have prereqs for some of the requirement of PA schools, it'd be useful to add those to the spreadsheet as well. Then start planning based on that. As I completed a course I would mark it off the spreadsheet (it's actually very satisfying to see the spreadsheet turn from red to green). 

I'd probably start with gen psych (not too difficult) gen chem (most schools will require chem I & II, orgo I&II, and possibly biochem...this is time consuming), another general bio if needed, and A&P if you are able to with the courses you've already completed.

Keep in mind:

• some schools require a 2 semester sequence of biology (your bio 101 may not count)
  • some schools require that that their prereqs had additional prereqs
  • your college might have a counselor is experienced in this - don't be afraid to reach out to them for help either
  • if you have questions about a PA school's prereqs don't be afraid to reach out them
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 6:49 AM, TheFatMan said:

Take a deep breath and don't get too stressed out.

I would take some time to look at which schools you're interested in (recognize this will probably change quite a bit) and make a spreadsheet of all of their requirements. This is what I did. Also keep in mind that your school will have prereqs for some of the requirement of PA schools, it'd be useful to add those to the spreadsheet as well. Then start planning based on that. As I completed a course I would mark it off the spreadsheet (it's actually very satisfying to see the spreadsheet turn from red to green). 

I'd probably start with gen psych (not too difficult) gen chem (most schools will require chem I & II, orgo I&II, and possibly biochem...this is time consuming), another general bio if needed, and A&P if you are able to with the courses you've already completed.

Keep in mind:

• some schools require a 2 semester sequence of biology (your bio 101 may not count)
  • some schools require that that their prereqs had additional prereqs
  • your college might have a counselor is experienced in this - don't be afraid to reach out to them for help either
  • if you have questions about a PA school's prereqs don't be afraid to reach out them

So based on your information, do you think this would be a start? 

Fall 2021: 

Gen psych, art, a chem class, and statistics?

I think psych and art against chem and stats would keep the semester balanced with 2 harder classes and 2 easier classes. I understand that the best judge on what classes would suit me is myself, but I would like your opinion on this schedule in terms of getting requirements done.

37 minutes ago, Kalebmi20 said:

So based on your information, do you think this would be a start? 

Fall 2021: 

Gen psych, art, a chem class, and statistics?

I think psych and art against chem and stats would keep the semester balanced with 2 harder classes and 2 easier classes. I understand that the best judge on what classes would suit me is myself, but I would like your opinion on this schedule in terms of getting requirements done.

I think that looks okay. For specifics I'd ask a guidance counselor. And also, go off of the list of all the prereqs you intend to complete. See if you can fit everything in before graduation. A counselor will be beneficial because they know what semesters certain courses are offered etc.