wait-listed

I'm 52, and just got wait-listed at the school I want to attend, got an interview and got wait-listed after the interview at my second choice school. I am SO bummed out! I think I'm an excellent candidate, and PA is really my passion: it's what I want to do for the rest of my life. It's hard not to wonder, does my age have anything to do with being wait-listed? If so, there's nothing I can do about that!

I have 2,000 as an EMT and an ER Tech, I have a 3.7 overall GPA, a 4.0 pre-req GPA, 80 hours of shadowing, great LOR, and a compelling story: my son was born with a tracheo-esophageal fistula, and esophageal atresia, and he is doing well now, but we have had a long journey in health care, and it's got me interested in medicine. Prior to being a mom, I taught high school Biology, before that, I was an organic vegetable farmer. I homeschooled my kids for 10 years, and now my son is better, and I'm ready for the next stage in my life. 

I honestly didn't consider the possibility that I wouldn't get in! I absolutely don't want to be a nurse, and RT, etc. I want to be a mid-level provider, and I am not giving up this dream, just really discouraged.

I'm in rural Vermont, with a family, so my options of schools are limited.

Your HCE could be improved upon. I'd like to say age doesn't matter but perhaps it does at the schools you're applying to. If you decide to reapply in the next cycle I highly recommend broadening your search and including schools with a higher average student age. Applying to only a couple of schools is risky for most people.

I also suggest contacting the programs you applied to and find out how you can improve your app(if you don't get pulled off the wait list).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

First off, how many other schools did you apply to? Did you apply to only very prestigious schools or do you have a couple of fall back schools? I admit that your statistics make you a competitive applicant which probably got you interviews to your top two schools. From there it is up to you to do well in your interviews. Also keep in mind the timing of your interview. Many schools accept students more liberally during early interviews to fill seats, so those who interview later are more likely to get wait listed. DON'T THROW IN THE TOWEL! There is still hope you will be accepted this year and if not apply next year. You will get in, it may just require some patience, but if this is your dream, don't give up on it. If you go the nursing or RT route, after not being accepted your first year, you'll regret it and you would probably have to wait a year to apply to those programs anyways so just apply to PA school next year if it doesn't work out this year. You will get in, don't give up!

I guess I don't think you are too old since I was older than you when I applied. And your grades and HCE sound more than sufficient to get interviews at many schools. I don't know anything about you but what you wrote. I also don't know what the schools know about you.

I do know that one thing: schools expect flexible students who can adapt to pressure and change. Older people are sometimes not thought of as being good at that, but we can be, if we cultivate it.

You have had to be highly focused to get through your child's healthcare crises, do home schooling, and get your HCE. I wonder if perhaps you come off as too focused and intense in your interviews, limited in your choices because of where you live, etc. It might telegraph conclusions about you that aren't true -- like being doctrinaire and inflexible --  but others do reach the wrong conclusions at times..

For example, if your kids are stable now, you have help at home, etc, then maybe you could go farther afield for school and come home on the weekends? Just a thought.

Give some thought as to how you come across in your interviews. And don't give up yet!

Your HCE could be improved upon. I'd like to say age doesn't matter but perhaps it does at the schools you're applying to. If you decide to reapply in the next cycle I highly recommend broadening your search and including schools with a higher average student age. Applying to only a couple of schools is risky for most people. I also suggest contacting the programs you applied to and find out how you can improve your app(if you don't get pulled off the wait list). Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, if I don't get off the wait list, I will contact the programs I applied to. I am in a rural area with a family, but I think I may need to broaden my search, as you say, and consider options I might not have thought of before, like staying away all week at a PA program further from home, and coming home on the weekends.

I am continuing to work at the ER, so my HCE will improve. 

Thanks for your comments. It's interesting how not being immediately accepted is making it very clear how much I want to practice medicine as a PA!

First off, how many other schools did you apply to? Did you apply to only very prestigious schools or do you have a couple of fall back schools? I admit that your statistics make you a competitive applicant which probably got you interviews to your top two schools. From there it is up to you to do well in your interviews. Also keep in mind the timing of your interview. Many schools accept students more liberally during early interviews to fill seats, so those who interview later are more likely to get wait listed. DON'T THROW IN THE TOWEL! There is still hope you will be accepted this year and if not apply next year. You will get in, it may just require some patience, but if this is your dream, don't give up on it. If you go the nursing or RT route, after not being accepted your first year, you'll regret it and you would probably have to wait a year to apply to those programs anyways so just apply to PA school next year if it doesn't work out this year. You will get in, don't give up!

I applied to 2 schools. I live in rural Vermont, and there is not a lot of choice, as we own a house, my kids are in school, etc. Although, its possible I could go to Boston or Worchester or Portland, ME for a PA program during the week, and come home on the weekend. 

In terms of timing, I was in the first applicant pool for both schools, got my application in early. 

natePAhopeful, I so appreciate your feedback! I am not giving up, and you are so right, if I became a nurse, I would regret it. I was talking to an NP where I work: that is a longer route, and it's not as much the medical model. I really want training in the PA model. You're right, it does take patience, and I hope it will all work out. Thank you so much for your support! It's very helpful.

I guess I don't think you are too old since I was older than you when I applied. And your grades and HCE sound more than sufficient to get interviews at many schools. I don't know anything about you but what you wrote. I also don't know what the schools know about you.

I do know that one thing: schools expect flexible students who can adapt to pressure and change. Older people are sometimes not thought of as being good at that, but we can be, if we cultivate it.

You have had to be highly focused to get through your child's healthcare crises, do home schooling, and get your HCE. I wonder if perhaps you come off as too focused and intense in your interviews, limited in your choices because of where you live, etc. It might telegraph conclusions about you that aren't true -- like being doctrinaire and inflexible --  but others do reach the wrong conclusions at times..

For example, if your kids are stable now, you have help at home, etc, then maybe you could go farther afield for school and come home on the weekends? Just a thought.

Give some thought as to how you come across in your interviews. And don't give up yet!

Thanks for replying! I was hoping you would, as I have seen your posts here. I don't think I can came off as inflexible, but who knows? Do you think it is useful to do some interview coaching at this point, even if I might not interview again for next cycle?

Can I PM you?

juliec,

I don't know that I'd get a coach at this point, especially if you aren't interviewing again for a while. It might be a good idea to contact any schools you interviewed and WEREN'T waitlisted to get some feedback on your application and interview performance. I wouldn't be shaking up any of the places where you are still waiting for your results or where you have been waitlisted.

Feel free to PM me.

Did you apply kind of late in the game? I know a lot of schools fill their spots from the earliest interview dates and then later interview dates are used to fill up the waitlist...however, I wouldn't give up hope from just being on the waitlist...people are pulled from the waitlist all of the time! 

No, I got all my CASPA and supplemental application stuff in early. Thanks for the support.

Juliec,

I hate to say it, but even with good credentials getting into PA school these days is a bit of a crap-shoot. It is all a numbers game. There are people on our wait list that I would love to see get in this year so people at the program might even be pulling for you.

Keep your fingers crossed and be persistent - but always have a plan b for a year.

Juliec,

I hate to say it, but even with good credentials getting into PA school these days is a bit of a crap-shoot. It is all a numbers game. There are people on our wait list that I would love to see get in this year so people at the program might even be pulling for you.

Keep your fingers crossed and be persistent - but always have a plan b for a year.

Thanks! That's what I keep hearing: that it's a bit arbitrary who gets in and who gets wait-listed. I'm not giving up, and am working on plan B for this year.

• Administrator

Never underestimate the influence that a good interview has among which excellent candidates get waitlisted and which get accepted.

Keep accumulating HCE.

Prepare for next year's cycle, which is open in what, four months?

Evaluate all your limits.  Not saying that they need to go away, but any limitations you have--geographical, etc.--limit your options.

Never underestimate the influence that a good interview has among which excellent candidates get waitlisted and which get accepted.

Keep accumulating HCE.

Prepare for next year's cycle, which is open in what, four months?

Evaluate all your limits.  Not saying that they need to go away, but any limitations you have--geographical, etc.--limit your options.

I got an interview! Yay!

I'm feeling sunny again!

• 1 month later...

I'm 44 and I got wait-listed to one school and rejected by another after interviewing. Two schools did not grant me an interview. I'm weak in the areas of shadowing and volunteering. It's pretty hard supporting yourself and your children working as a CNA then to spend days doing stuff that makes you no money, it's a problem, not to mention finding a PA to shadow. I have one school left to hear from regarding whether I got an interview or not. I have 2 little girls, ages 7 and 9 and I am facing the possibility of seeing them only on weekends, too, provided I get into PA school. I find out about the reject just yesterday so I'm still adjusting to the news. Looking at the positive it gives me a chance for a much needed breather from all the intense studying it took to complete my pre-requisites with nearly all As and become truly fluent in Spanish. However, it's a hard pill to swallow to imagine having to wait another year and a half, or more, to even start PA school. But we have to hang in there, we can do it, it might just not be in the time-frame we were hoping for or in the way we had imagined. It's nice to see another 'older' student on here! I'm in NC, by the way, so I don't think we are competition. :) I want to 'get off the grid' one day, grow my own organic vegetables and such, I'm a 'tree hugger', so sounds like we have a lot in common. Best of luck to you!

I started PA school at age 46 and just graduated. I attended a new PA program with a small class of average demographics. During my exit interview, my advisor described to me the faculty roundtable discussion of my application. I almost wish I hadn't heard this but I will pass it on: she told me that I almost didn't get in due to my age. I couldn't believe my ears. She said they considered the shortened potential duration of my career compared to that of my prototypical "average" 27 year old female classmate. Ironically, nearly 1/3 of my class got married either while we were in school or right after graduation and several of those are delaying careers to start families. I have noticed quite a large number of younger PA's with minimal HCE dropping out of clinical care because they don't know what they are getting into. It's interesting to me that PA educators haven't caught on to the fact that someone like me with 11+ years of hardcore (hospital, OR, ICU, ER) experience knows exactly what they are getting into and won't drop out of the scene voluntarily (and now I'm too old to have kids LOL).

I have been browsing PA Forum for over two years trying to understand who gets accepted and who doesn't. There seems to be no answer to the question. It seems you need, as a general rule, a GPA of around 3.5, GRE 305 or above (if the school looks at GREs), ALL the listed pre-reqs, great LOTs, and something in your application that makes you interesting. Beyond that it seems to be luck and magic. My guess is that adcoms each have their own set of ideas as to what makes a great candidate. At some schools HCE is highly valued; less so at others. Many public state schools give preference to state and even regional applicants. Some schools seem to prefer candidates with enough work experience to be more mature; others seem to like younger applicants, even brand spanking new college grads. Schools don't publish many of these preferences because they look prejudicial. It would be nice if they did because it would be easier for applicants to apply to the right schools.

I think it is interesting that some interviewers ask why you applied to their school. How about: "Because my spouse has a good job in this berg, my kids go to school here, my parents live a block away and I can afford your tuition." Oops! Wrong answer.

Why do you want to become a PA art age 46? How about: "Well, I have been working in health care for the past 20 years and I know I can do better than to work as a medical assistant for $15/hr. I want to help people but I want to be well paid at the same time." Terrible answer, even if true.

Maybe CASPA should work like a dating site. Schools and candidates would each provide an honest list of preferences and starts and the computer would match them up. If you don't get any matches, you loosen up your preferences until you qualify for at least a few interviews. Why should older students have to waste time and money applying to schools that would never accept them? Why should someone with a 3.5 GPA spend money applying to schools that fill every class with people that have GPAs of 3.8 or above? My matching idea would be much more efficient, open and transparent.

OK, so I'm not naive enough to think this would ever happen but what do you guys think?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

I have been browsing PA Forum for over two years trying to understand who gets accepted and who doesn't. There seems to be no answer to the question. It seems you need, as a general rule, a GPA of around 3.5, GRE 305 or above (if the school looks at GREs), ALL the listed pre-reqs, great LOTs, and something in your application that makes you interesting. Beyond that it seems to be luck and magic. My guess is that adcoms each have their own set of ideas as to what makes a great candidate. At some schools HCE is highly valued; less so at others. Many public state schools give preference to state and even regional applicants. Some schools seem to prefer candidates with enough work experience to be more mature; others seem to like younger applicants, even brand spanking new college grads. Schools don't publish many of these preferences because they look prejudicial. It would be nice if they did because it would be easier for applicants to apply to the right schools.

I think it is interesting that some interviewers ask why you applied to their school. How about: "Because my spouse has a good job in this berg, my kids go to school here, my parents live a block away and I can afford your tuition." Oops! Wrong answer.

Why do you want to become a PA art age 46? How about: "Well, I have been working in health care for the past 20 years and I know I can do better than to work as a medical assistant for $15/hr. I want to help people but I want to be well paid at the same time." Terrible answer, even if true.

Maybe CASPA should work like a dating site. Schools and candidates would each provide an honest list of preferences and starts and the computer would match them up. If you don't get any matches, you loosen up your preferences until you qualify for at least a few interviews. Why should older students have to waste time and money applying to schools that would never accept them? Why should someone with a 3.5 GPA spend money applying to schools that fill every class with people that have GPAs of 3.8 or above? My matching idea would be much more efficient, open and transparent.

OK, so I'm not naive enough to think this would ever happen but what do you guys think?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Funny enough, this is kind of how the residency match works for physicians. Except that computer is known for its secrecy. It makes the CIA look like pre-schoolers.

GatorGirl - thank you so much for sharing your story.  It's both encouraging and discouraging.  I'm 42 years old and applying for the fourth time!!  I did public relations but gave up my career when my hubby took ill.  We didn't have children because taking care of him took up all my time.  I'm really hoping that eventually, they realize that the fact that I was able to make such huge sacrifices and change careers based on my passion and dedication to be there for my husband just goes to show how invested I am in pursuing the PA profession.

Hey, so it's me, I started this thread, and am happy to say that I am accepted to the PA school of my choice. In my interview I spoke of my age as a strength, because it sure is, and I spoke of the larger vision I have for patient care. (I'm very interested in patient education and advocacy, and also changing the nature of the provider-patient relationship from a paternalistic one to a more collaborative relationship.) 

The process was: I had one interview with my second choice school, and was wait listed. Then I did not get an interview with my first choice school, I was wait listed for the interview. Then, about 3 weeks after my top choice school wait listed me for an interview, I got an interview. And I just found out 2 days ago I am accepted! YAY!

I think any program that sees age as a limiting factor isn't a program you want to be in. Maturity, life experience, wisdom, humor, being personable, all these traits are ones I want in MY health care providers. 

I'm 44 and I got wait-listed to one school and rejected by another after interviewing. Two schools did not grant me an interview. I'm weak in the areas of shadowing and volunteering. It's pretty hard supporting yourself and your children working as a CNA then to spend days doing stuff that makes you no money, it's a problem, not to mention finding a PA to shadow. I have one school left to hear from regarding whether I got an interview or not. I have 2 little girls, ages 7 and 9 and I am facing the possibility of seeing them only on weekends, too, provided I get into PA school. I find out about the reject just yesterday so I'm still adjusting to the news. Looking at the positive it gives me a chance for a much needed breather from all the intense studying it took to complete my pre-requisites with nearly all As and become truly fluent in Spanish. However, it's a hard pill to swallow to imagine having to wait another year and a half, or more, to even start PA school. But we have to hang in there, we can do it, it might just not be in the time-frame we were hoping for or in the way we had imagined. It's nice to see another 'older' student on here! I'm in NC, by the way, so I don't think we are competition. :) I want to 'get off the grid' one day, grow my own organic vegetables and such, I'm a 'tree hugger', so sounds like we have a lot in common. Best of luck to you!

Hey kep308,

I initially was wait listed, so I went through the agony of defeat, and then became more firmly resolved to get in the next year... This experience of not getting in initially made my "plan B" more real in my mind. So when I got the interview I knew it would be OK if I had to wait a year.  Then I got the interview and got accepted!

Know you can do it, and you have what it takes. It's a drag when it's not happening in your time frame, I know. I'm sure we have a lot in common, and if you don't get in this year, enjoy your girls, and know you'll get in next year. You must be a very driven, dedicated person to want to do this and you will succeed!!

I started PA school at age 46 and just graduated. I attended a new PA program with a small class of average demographics. During my exit interview, my advisor described to me the faculty roundtable discussion of my application. I almost wish I hadn't heard this but I will pass it on: she told me that I almost didn't get in due to my age. I couldn't believe my ears. She said they considered the shortened potential duration of my career compared to that of my prototypical "average" 27 year old female classmate. Ironically, nearly 1/3 of my class got married either while we were in school or right after graduation and several of those are delaying careers to start families. I have noticed quite a large number of younger PA's with minimal HCE dropping out of clinical care because they don't know what they are getting into. It's interesting to me that PA educators haven't caught on to the fact that someone like me with 11+ years of hardcore (hospital, OR, ICU, ER) experience knows exactly what they are getting into and won't drop out of the scene voluntarily (and now I'm too old to have kids LOL).

When I interviewed they asked me questions about leadership. I think some schools look for a mix of ages in their class make-up. It seems the age factor here was more an issue of the school wanting to establish itself, and less about what an older applicant can bring to a program.

When I interviewed I did mention my age and life experience as a positive. The question was, "We don't just choose all of the smartest people with the best grades, because that would be a nightmare. We want to make sure we have a cohesive group that can work together and succeed through this intense program. What do you bring to the group that would be a positive?" After I answered they said they have lots of younger students with no life experience that have difficulty in the program, both succeeding and in getting along with others. So, highlighting communication skills, leadership skills and the ability to smooth over others' differences are good things to point out as an older applicant. 

Archived