What were your backup careers or previous careers?

It is daunting to think about how my past experience with nursing can affect my application. I don't know if I can still be a competitive applicant. I was thinking about a back up career in case.

What back up careers has anyone considered before becoming a PA? Did some have careers before PA school? If so, then what were they?

I was going to go nursing.  In fact I was thinking "who ever takes me first I will go with".  I am glad I went PA though now that I am done.   If I left being a PA I would  probably be a police officer.  Growing up that is what I thought i was going to be.  I fell in love with medicine in the military and decided that was a better career for me.  If I was disabled and had to have a slower paced job I would go back and be a counselor or something. 

Guest Paula

I had a career before PA school.  Spent 20 years as a dietitian.  I don't have a backup career anymore as I'm so behind in keeping up with nutrition so hope I can maintain my current job until retirement in 8-10 years. 

I'm currently thinking about how much I would need to prepare myself for the schooling. I just did research on PA this past month. I sometimes wonder if there is a lot more to the profession than just practicing medicine under the supervision of a physician.

I look forward to more posts. It'll get me think more about what I would like to do with my life.

I got into RT school the year before PA school so I deferred entry and waited to see if PA school was going to take me. I also have other skills. I was a top producing Realtor for a few years and I also did IT for a few years so I had a lot to fall back on but never looked back.

A thing about RT school. I only wanted to become an RT to make my application for PA school more attractive with More HCE (though I already had 22k hours of high quality HCE).

I was a corpsman in the Navy. That's when I met my first PA, but to be honest, I was going to school for economics.

Worked as a framing and finish carpenter, painter, was a splicer's apprentice with the phone company for a while. All while I was finishing school.

Back up career now would be working as an economist for consulting firm, academia-teaching, specifically, research methods to graduate students in any number of disciplines, or, possibly work in political circles, etc. I actually have a local candidate who asked me if I would run his campaign......LOL....so, there's always that..

I even think often of what it would be like if I just had stayed working as a carpenter. I miss that sometimes. There was a lot of happiness of a different kind with that job.

prior jobs: security guard, cafeteria worker, er tech, paramedic, paramedic instructor.

if I couldn't work clinically as a pa I would probably teach PA school. If I couldn't teach medicine I would probably teach community college or high school. If I couldn't do that I would probably write or edit. if I couldn't do that I would probably volunteer at whatever would take me.

PA school was my backup career LOL.  I spent 6 years working in veterinary medicine and wanted to go to vet school.  I applied to vet school and PA school at the same time.  Here I am today...happy with the outcome either way.  You know it is harder to get into vet school then medicaly school and PA school combined probably. 

PHD in medical sociology  ....... if PA did not exist maybe a career in law (thank god I did not) or MD medicine ? ..... Would be happy as a police officer as well esp where I am from they get paid decent and a pension.

If I reviewed an application for PA from someone who was an RN I would be excited. That is actual health care experience. And the person has probably worked with PAs and understands the job and its demands well. DO NOT let that hold you back. 

I was an RN before I went to PA school 24 yrs ago. My nursing colleagues were THRILLED for me; many became patients or referred pts to me over the years. I had thought about becoming a nurse anesthetist, but wanted 'more' in terms of patient contact & honestly felt the medical model of care was more in line with my way of thinking, i.e., I was fed up with the 'nursing process'. YIKES! What was I thinking.

Today, when a nurse asks me my opinion re: PA vs. NP vs. CNA. I openly discuss the pros & cons...including financial (salary, certification, re certification with add-on fees every other cycle, re certification, re certification, etc.), as well as perceived professional respect....oh, & did I mention the re certification process?? Then there is the cost of tuition.

A friend recently received her NP in 1.5 yrs (working FT the 1st yr) at a reputable university. She was offered a job at a local hospital offering total loan repayment with a 2 yr commitment. Her student loan is minimal, compared to what I hear from recent PA grads.

Having said all this, I'm still happy I chose to become a PA. But if I were an RN today thinking about making a career change, knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would make the same decision.

Good luck & stay confident! You have a lot of opportunities open to you (I forgot to tell you about a former RN colleague who now is a regional coordinator of a clinical oncology program making more money, with more time off than most PAs. She has an ADN).

G

Prior (all different companies): farm hand, gas station attendant, stock boy, cashier, utility clerk, potato farm harvester, oil change tech, military Corpsman, Pizza delivery driver, MLB-affiliate grounds-crew worker, office admin assistant, medical assistant.

Future: PA-C soon...

Future-Future: PA-C on vacation.

Guest Paula

Ok, here's my long list of former "careers" starting at age 12: babysitter, candy striper, CNA, dime-store clerk, lifeguard and WSI, food-service worker, flag-girl on the summer county roadwork crew the year Elvis died on my birthday, summer Bible camp-counselor which I hated and failed at with the kids so I got put on the work crew and loved painting cabins, making the campfires, lifeguarding and working in the kitchen, dietitian for 20 years, short-term missionary for one year in Ivory Coast and was the kitchen assistant (there's the assistant word), telemarketer (lasted one day), Mary Kay cosmetics team leader and earned a car, got burned out and gave it back, cabin-cleaner, worked on a cranberry farm and sorted cranberries on a line, janitor at a police station,  account manager for my husband's business...oh yeah.....PA now for 10 years. 

Whew....I need a vacation. 

Prior: Navy Corpsman, sheriff deputy, firefighter/paramedic

Future: distillery owner/master distiller

I like the way you think...

I'm picturing a PA-run microbrewery/microdistillery, just like Dogfish Head and Rogue; I'll handle the beer with True Anomaly, and you've got the spirits covered.  How does "Eugene Stead Brewing & Spirits" sound?

Past: Marine grunt; NYC Fireman (with too many cash paying side jobs to list here) 

Current: Hospitalist PA, semi professional beach bum

Future: ? considering getting MPH maybe doing administration? Move someplace warmer and go pro with the beach bum thing and cure white coat HTN by wearing Aloha shirts and flip flops to work every day?

Archived