With the restrictions of being a PA, have you thought you should have gone NP?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not start now? WIth your experience and knowledge, I would think you would be a shoe-in...you are never to old to chase your dreams!

my opportunity cost (price of school + loans + lost salary) is over 1 million dollars. also at this point I would need to take ochem, biochem, an mcat prep course, etc all while working full time at 3 jobs, pursuing a doctorate and raising kids....if I was single I would probably still do it...

my opportunity cost (price of school + loans + lost salary) is over 1 million dollars. also at this point I would need to take ochem, biochem, an mcat prep course, etc all while working full time at 3 jobs, pursuing a doctorate and raising kids....if I was single I would probably still do it...

puhhleeze, i thought all your kids were in college lol

OK I just jumped to the last post.

UCDavis' program is a dual NP/PA program. A friend of mine got both and she is in high demand: she works as a PA in surgery and as an NP in Cardiac Women's health.

If I had to do it all over, that's what I would do. She makes well over 200K a year.

UCDavis' program is a dual NP/PA program. A friend of mine got both and she is in high demand: she works as a PA in surgery and as an NP in Cardiac Women's health.

If I had to do it all over, that's what I would do. She makes well over 200K a year.

Is UC Davis the only such program? Perhaps more schools will move in this direction?

WHAT IF...

...the nursing lobby tried to join forces with PAs? Hear me out. They could lose their NP name, which is just as goofy as the PA name, and add 87,000 members to their organization ($$$). We could unify the testing and come up with a neutral name such as Advanced Practicing Clinician or something like that...you get the picture. There are many issues that would need to be worked out and it wouldn't be easy but it wouldn't be impossible and it does have some upsides. I'm not for or against it at the moment, but feel free to discuss.

WHAT IF...

...the nursing lobby tried to join forces with PAs? Hear me out. They could lose their NP name, which is just as goofy as the PA name, and add 87,000 members to their organization ($$$). We could unify the testing and come up with a neutral name such as Advanced Practicing Clinician or something like that...you get the picture. There are many issues that would need to be worked out and it wouldn't be easy but it wouldn't be impossible and it does have some upsides. I'm not for or against it at the moment, but feel free to discuss.

I can see it now, in the HOD of the AAPA:

If the idea of forming a committee to explore the idea of changing one half of the title of our profession caused massive stop-down arugments and ultimately no action....the idea of merging the two professions would cause a collective spontaneous combustion of everyone in the HOD chamber.

If the idea of forming a committee to explore the idea of changing one half of the title of our profession caused massive stop-down arugments and ultimately no action....the idea of merging the two professions would cause a collective spontaneous combustion of everyone in the HOD chamber.

Haha, I doubt the AAPA would even notice with their heads so far up their @$$!$.

WHAT IF...

To join forces, they would have to not be practicing nursing, or just give out thousands of honorary nursing degrees. Otherwise, they wouldn't be under the BON and subject to BOM rules. Wouldn't really benefit anyone. Good outside the box thinking though.

It would never happen on a grand scale, although there are already some partnerships with nursing on a much more limited scale. You have to remember. Many in the HOD have been around a long time. We have watched nursing organizations fight and oppose PA legislation, and we have watched NPs lobby to have our practice restricted. Several times I can recall watching legislation introduced that would have dramatically expanded PA practice, only to watch nursing try to tear it apart. Sometimes it was outright, deliberate obstruction (See what is happening in Canada, ie; Ontario, now) Other times it was more subtle. Either a more private lobbying effort, or legislative malfeasance. I can recall once watching PA legislation being introduced with the state NP group introducing riders and amendments to the PA bill that were so outrageous that even though the PA bill was good and sound, the legislators had no choice but to vote against it.

I'm not saying that NPs cannot be our friends or that any partnership with nursing is doomed to failure, merely that when you hear more experienced HOD members scoff at the notion, there is often a lot of history behind that scoff. Nursing has often created significant battles with PA organizations, and its difficult to simply forget that next time around....

Just to provide some different perspective.

To join forces, they would have to not be practicing nursing, or just give out thousands of honorary nursing degrees. Otherwise, they wouldn't be under the BON and subject to BOM rules. Wouldn't really benefit anyone. Good outside the box thinking though.

They would have to re-legislate their authority, which would be possible with such a sizable membership and combined finances. If done properly it could be very beneficial to both parties and health care in the US...it could also turn out terrible...who knows.

early on (70's/80's) some rn's who went to PA school were allowed to take an extra nursing theory course or 2 and take the np boards. my first PA mentor did this in around 1982 to get prescription rights in CA because NPs could rx then but not PAs. that window is now long closed.

Have said it before - if they came up with a PA-->DNP bridge program that was a reasonable (1-2 years part time <25k) I would very likely do it.

Just the benefit of being direct bill would be helpful, then if my state took away supervision requirements that would be ideal.....

Does she make $200k because she's a PA/NP or because she works 2 jobs?

they should allow PAs to do accelerated rn bridge programs then challenge the np exam and get an msn/fnp. maybe 1 yr part time(mostly online...)

This is an excellent idea. That's why it is impossible. First they would make the accelerated RN bridge 18 months long, on site only, full time. Then the NP challenge exam would require the two semester "Advanced Nursing for PAs" course. The fact that PAs and NPs work side by side currently will not dissuade any academic program from squeezing out some extra duckets.

I think they would see it as we would be Practicing Advanced Nursing.

This is an excellent idea. That's why it is impossible. First they would make the accelerated RN bridge 18 months long, on site only, full time. Then the NP challenge exam would require the two semester "Advanced Nursing for PAs" course. The fact that PAs and NPs work side by side currently will not dissuade any academic program from squeezing out some extra duckets.

anyone with a bs can do a 2nd degree rn/bsn in 1 yr through an accelerated program, and that's for a bsn. we would just need an asn. I'm thinking 6 months for the asn with 2 weeks of clinicals, take nclex, then 1-2 fluffy fnp nursing theory courses, take fnp boards and done. 9-12 mo part time with a total on campus/clinical time of 2 weeks.

Archived