The weight of your graduate institution...

I have a minor dilemma. I got into two schools, a smaller (Jefferson College of Health Sciences) and a larger (Duke University). Now, I live near JCHS and the class size is only 40, which is really like. But everyone is telling me that I'm crazy not to go to Duke. I have free housing at JCHS, and would graduate without loans. With Duke, I'd have to take out about $20,000 in loans.

My question is, how important as a professional PA is your graduate insitution? I love both programs. I feel that Duke might have better rotations, as their hospital is amazing.

I'm so torn!

20K is nothing. I'd go Duke. Not to say that the JCHS program wouldn't give you a great education, but Duke's name alone will speak to people (fortunately or unfortunately as it seems). That being said, the caliber of education will likely be stronger at Duke simply because of the people who are called to attend as well as the school's curricular standards. I can speak for my own degree, a MHS from Drexel-Hanemann on two related counts ... people respect the degree as well as the institution. I wanted my MHS if simply to be able to move on to a Doctorate someday should I opt for that but that's a different topic. I feel that the education I received at a larger and better known school was beyond what I might have gotten had I gone with one of the local and less prestigious programs. Suffice to say, I'd shoot for the stars if I were you.

I have a similar predicament...I was accepted to University of Washington and Duke...both are great and I am still trying to decide. However, I really only have a day or two before I need to mail off my deposit. It can be so hard to choose. Grateful I am in the position to choose between two great programs, but difficult nonetheless!

I have a similar predicament...I was accepted to University of Washington and Duke...both are great and I am still trying to decide. However, I really only have a day or two before I need to mail off my deposit. It can be so hard to choose. Grateful I am in the position to choose between two great programs, but difficult nonetheless!

Yea, not such a bad spot to be in, eh! Congratulations to you both!

I wouldn't think it would matter, Duke's name is known coast to coast. You have to be the one to decide which option will work best for you. I wouldn't put location high on my priority list, but everyone's life situation is different. I moved from California to Philadelphia for my program but I live on my own so that was easy. Explore both programs thoroughly before you make your decision and you shouldn't hesitate to call either school to ask questions which will help you finalize your decision. Good luck!

Same situation here! I've been accepted to both Duke and MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) and it's been killing me trying to choose. I'm leaning towards MUSC and almost positive I'll be heading there, but I really hate turning down the #1 PA program. It's a good problem to have, I know, but still difficult nevertheless!

Same situation here! I've been accepted to both Duke and MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) and it's been killing me trying to choose. I'm leaning towards MUSC and almost positive I'll be heading there, but I really hate turning down the #1 PA program. It's a good problem to have, I know, but still difficult nevertheless!

PAApplicant

Can I selfishly tell you to choose Duke in hopes that will open a spot for me at MUSC... ... worth a try, yes?

Whatever you decide, congratulations! You have worked hard to get to this point and in the end, will do well with either decision.

IT DOES NOT MATTER

need to sit for PA-C exam

only time I can see it making a difference is if you want to do research or teach - otherwise take the school that has a higher pass rate on the PANCE

"What do thay call the person that graduates last in their class?" PA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save the 20k (is the smaller school still has a great pass rate) and you don't want to do research and or teach.

Anyways, if you want to teach you are going to need a terminal degree ie phd or something similiar so you would need to go back to get that anyways....

my point - everyone that graduates from a high flutin school (self perpetuation) says you should go to the fancy school - if you want to simply be the best PA you can be look at pass rates and job placement rates taking into consideration the cost of eduation - otherwise you are so strapped in debt that you can't just take a job you want, but instead have to take some high paying unfavorable job to you. The flip side of the coin is those that even a few years ago were getting associate degrees from their local CC - and are rocking great PAs - but they only spent a few thousand for each semester...... who is the smart one there??

After a BA, MBA, pre med courses, I went to the most affordable school I could find - and it gained me admission into the profession and that is all I wanted/needed it to do, the rest is up to me.....

So I looked into both schools a bit. Both programs are apparently equal in tuition and they both offer you a Master's degree (always a good thing to have, if for at the very least so that you can teach at a community college should you ever get in a jam). The all class PANCE rates appear to be better at JCHS, but otherwise they're also the same for their first time pass rates. I would rather owe 70K versus 120K. Small class size can sometimes be a good thing. On the other hand, there's something to be said for disappearing in the crowd. Duke could possibly end up getting you a higher paying job, but it would possibly be with people who care more about names than product ... or maybe your experience at Duke would be worthy of their admiration, who knows. You really need to pour over both programs to the nth degree in order to make your decision. Post in the program sections on this forum, talk to peers, colleagues, family and friends. It's going to be a tough decision, but most important is that you make the right one. And as tough as a decision as it might seem, I bet you'll wake up one morning and you'll just know.

I was in the same predicament! I was accepted to CU-Denver and Duke. For me, it came down to where I felt most comfortable and which program I felt would make me into the best PA. For me that is CU-Denver. When I interviewed there it just "felt right." I just filled out the form saying that I am declining Duke, and to be honest, I felt a little bit insane turning down the #1 program! It's definitely scary making these types of decisions, but I think you just have to go with your gut and you will end up where you were meant to end up.

All my friends who are working docs and PAs told me to go to the cheapest school. All my friends who are research/science geeks said to go to the best school. What I'm doing is the same as beccab23, I'm going to the place that "feels" right and where I think I will succeed the best. It may cost me a more money in the end, but I've always been more of a nerd than business man. If worst comes to worst and the loans are overwhelming, I figure I can always fake my death and become a "doctor" in some small third world country... preferably one with a beach.

Re: The weight of your graduate institution...

IT DOES NOT MATTER

need to sit for PA-C exam

only time I can see it making a difference is if you want to do research or teach - otherwise take the school that has a higher pass rate on the PANCE

"What do thay call the person that graduates last in their class?" PA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save the 20k (is the smaller school still has a great pass rate) and you don't want to do research and or teach.

Anyways, if you want to teach you are going to need a terminal degree ie phd or something similiar so you would need to go back to get that anyways....

my point - everyone that graduates from a high flutin school (self perpetuation) says you should go to the fancy school - if you want to simply be the best PA you can be look at pass rates and job placement rates taking into consideration the cost of eduation - otherwise you are so strapped in debt that you can't just take a job you want, but instead have to take some high paying unfavorable job to you. The flip side of the coin is those that even a few years ago were getting associate degrees from their local CC - and are rocking great PAs - but they only spent a few thousand for each semester...... who is the smart one there??

After a BA, MBA, pre med courses, I went to the most affordable school I could find - and it gained me admission into the profession and that is all I wanted/needed it to do, the rest is up to me.....

a-effin-men.

this is about as close to written in stone truth as it gets.

Go where you will be able to do your work, will be treated with respect as a student, qand allowed to learn on rotations.

and pass the PANCE.

I was accepted to the University of Washington and Idaho State University. I ended up choosing ISU because my wife, a pre-dental student, got into Boise State, which has an awesome pre-dental program. I don't feel like my education is suffering, and Idaho gave me residency because I moved there when I finished my time on active duty, meaning my GI Bill completely covers tuition and fees + gives me a housing allowance. Go where you feel comfortable. Go to the place that has people you relate to, because you will spend A LOT of time with them. That's a student's perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh I was in your spot and I have to say it was tough. Emory ranked top 3 at the time (not that I cared, but some do) and EVERYBODY seemed to know the school (even this derm MD that I would like to work for)...hell I even got a thumbs up from an interviewer at another program when he asked where else had I interviewed and I said Emory. I had the choice to go to a state school and pay in-state tuition.....not even going to think about the loads of dough I could have saved.

It was hard, but in the end I went with the program that not only could open doors for me (let's face it....there are some who do look at the name and alumni tend to scratch each others backs as well), but the program I felt most comfortable at. Youre going to be there 2 years and some change....make it as comfortable for yourself as possible. Do you like the area? How did you feel about the interview? How did you feel about the faculty and staff? I interviewed with and got accepted into some great programs but Emory won hands down in terms of comfort. Money aside, it was like choosing between Red Roof Inn and Ritz Carlton.....

Agree with above, ultimately it does not matter where you go. What matters is that you can attend, feel supported in your studies and ultimately be successful in graduating and passing the PANCE. I was accepted to 3 schools and Emory was by far the most expensive of the 3. When I compared the schools (without looking at tuition) the other 2 schools left me with some doubt as they did not seem to have it together in terms of logistics, didn't always have clear answers for me when I made contact with them, and in 1 school's case mentioned that I may be responsible for setting up/assisting with set-up of some rotations and paying for housing while "out of area". This was an expense I was not willing to accept. Emory took care of setting up my rotations with input from me and provided housing for me on my rotations. While I was going through the process of choosing a program they also had thorough answers to all of my questions. I would say that this is due to the age and experience of the program and would be the same at all of the older PA programs. Bottom line - do your research, go where you feel comfortable and feel you'll be given every opportunity to succeed and focus on your studies. Good Luck!

funny to go back and read over thread

Seems to be a pattern

newer PA and PA Students and 'other' seem to direct you to the name brand school

highly experienced 'in the real world of PA' for years says just go to the one that gets you the PA-C designation.....

Probably the same type of question is --- Do you drive a BMW or a Chevy? Both get you there, one costs a heck of a lot more money and you will be paying it off forever (and there is an opportunity cost of choosing the BMW) BUT if driving a BMW is important to you (or any really nice fancy expensive car) then by all means go with the BMW. If howwever becoming a PA is the top priority then go with the one that is the best fit (cheapest and still get a PA-C!)

I went to one of the last Associate degree programs due to cost. I paid pennies for my education (and it was the hardest degree of 4 different (two other masters) that I have so the cost meant nothing in comparison to the education. I spent another $4500 on a masters for PA just to be credentialed at that level. Overall I probably have one of the cheapest PA degree's out there and I am still paying over $300/month for a total of 20 years after graduation...... If the name Duke is that important to you by all means go there, but I choose having a smaller debt so I could enter any field I wanted......

Im pretty sure I didnt direct either way....I said go to where you feel comfortable which is actually advice I got from many of you guys a few years ago:heheh:

Cheap and just getting the -C or expensive and paying for the name.......doesnt matter either way if you hate where you are IMHO

In the end I went to a lesser known PA program b/c of the tuition. I had rotations with students from the "ranked" schools, and Ill be honest, I wasnt really impressed. 10 years from now you'll wish you had less debt should you choose the more $ program, I promise you that.

In the end I went to a lesser known PA program b/c of the tuition. I had rotations with students from the "ranked" schools, and Ill be honest, I wasnt really impressed. 10 years from now you'll wish you had less debt should you choose the more $ program, I promise you that.

^^^^^^^ lots of truth here

Over the yrs I have interviewed a lot of PAs for clinical roles. Where they went to school was never part of the decision. I was accepted to Emory and decided to go to a cheaper school. I have also worked with grads of big programs like Emory, IPAP, USC etc. and found the basic skills and knowledge were about the same. So, go with what makes you happy but remember in the end the big name school won't buy you anything in the PA world.

I have a minor dilemma. I got into two schools, a smaller (Jefferson College of Health Sciences) and a larger (Duke University). Now, I live near JCHS and the class size is only 40, which is really like. But everyone is telling me that I'm crazy not to go to Duke. I have free housing at JCHS, and would graduate without loans. With Duke, I'd have to take out about $20,000 in loans.

My question is, how important as a professional PA is your graduate insitution? I love both programs. I feel that Duke might have better rotations, as their hospital is amazing.

I'm so torn!

scparker - It means this: Jack. Squat. You're not crazy if you don't go to Duke. I don't think that anyone who matters cares what institutional name is on your diploma. The same people who get all impressed that someone went to Duke or GW (my school) or Harvard (if they had a program) are the same people who care about what kind of car you drive, what clothes you wear and how big your house is. To me it's just more elitist BS.

The only thing that really matters, the ONLY thing - is how good a clinician you are.

There are a lot of very, very good PA programs in the country and Jefferson happens to be just one of them. Full disclosure: because I work for Carilion and lecture at JCHS I am obviously biased. Duke's a great school, no question. But any intimation that someone who graduates from Duke is a better PA than someone who graduates from Jefferson or Pitt or UTMB or Anne Arundel Community College is a specious argument.

Here's something else that may (or may not) factor into your decision: Last year, Duke's pass rate for the PANCE was 89%. Jefferson College of Health Sciences? 100%

Archived