I got this in my email today, and I was wondering at what point will people realize that maybe automation and ai maybe ain’t such a good idea?  Medicine -and nursing-isn’t checkboxes and coding and RBI’s- it’s looking another human being in the eye and telling them they aren’t alone.  You can help.  
Am I crazy?  It’s bad enough that the commercialization of medicine has reduced this interaction-this most human of interactions- to minutes- now we are taking people out of the loop.  Fortunately, most people won’t be able to afford it, because they are unemployed…because their jobs have been automated.  I’m not a Luddite, but people need a sense of accomplishment in their lives.

IMG_4284.png

• Upvote 1

Yeah that’s gonna help. 
how does it handle the mad patient.  Or the sarcastic patient.  Or the patient that says yes to everything, or no to everything.   Or what about the patient that can’t remember anything??

• Upvote 1

I wonder what kind of "patient care tasks" it's referring to. Rooming a pt? Answering a call light? 

11 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

at what point will people realize that maybe automation and ai maybe ain’t such a good idea?  Medicine -and nursing-isn’t checkboxes and coding and RBI’s- it’s looking another human being in the eye and telling them they aren’t alone.  
Am I crazy?  It’s bad enough that the commercialization of medicine has reduced this interaction-this most human of interactions- to minutes- now we are taking people out of the loop.

You're not crazy. This world is. We need a healthier community and population. Less sickness and more health. We need to work less and live more. Trying to cram life in the few remaining hours we get per day and a measly weekend mostly spent catching up is no way to live... But I digress.

• Upvote 1

AI will become an increasingly useful tool for diagnosis. With appropriate software, if people in the ER waiting room could entertain themselves by answering questions on a tablet computer, by the time they were called into the back there could already be most of a differential diagnosis and treatment plan ready to go. 

It's not far off. Most humans these days can't stand each other. 

Edited by CAAdmission

1 hour ago, CAAdmission said:

AI will become an increasingly useful tool for diagnosis. With appropriate software, if people in the ER waiting room could entertain themselves by answering questions on a tablet computer, by the time they were called into the back there could already be most of a differential diagnosis and treatment plan ready to go.

All true. However without a human to interpret the non verbal cues it won't take a hot second for people to figure out how to manipulate the process to get what they want or think they need.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

All true. However without a human to interpret the non verbal cues it won't take a hot second for people to figure out how to manipulate the process to get what they want or think they need.

I don't entirely disagree, but there are ways to set an algorithm up to ask the same question a few different ways to check for consistency. I know a lot of humans that can be cajoled into prescribing unnecessary antibiotics. A cold, emotionless machine doesn't care about Press Ganey. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

I don't entirely disagree, but there are ways to set an algorithm up to ask the same question a few different ways to check for consistency. I know a lot of humans that can be cajoled into prescribing unnecessary antibiotics. A cold, emotionless machine doesn't care about Press Ganey. 

but what about when they tweek the algorithm to prescribed when not needed.  Think about pay one doc $100,000 to design it, then roll it out....  just to make money....

On 4/8/2024 at 2:17 PM, Reality Check 2 said:

Can AI see rolling eyes or the Candy Crush play on the phone or interpret pain level 9/10 or 12/10 on a migraine who is on said cell phone without dark glasses watching TikTok?

I see you have 10/10 pain from your hangnail, are allergic to all non-opiate pain medications and get a rash from morphine. Please proceed to the pharmacy to pick up your box of fentanyl patches, and have a nice day.

• Haha 2

On 4/11/2024 at 2:07 PM, EMEDPA said:

I see you have 10/10

I was envisioning that before it would dispense a prescription for analgesics, the machine would have some sort of pain-o-meter the patient would have to use, like the thing in Dune that they make you stick your hand in. 

paulPutsHandInBox.gif

• Haha 2