Doing admin work at home

I work in a busy family practice using Athena EMR and find sometimes, an overwhelming number of "tasks" that should be addressed in a timely manner such as labs, imaging, refill requests, etc. but physically impossible to address sufficiently during office hours so some PA's NP's address these tasks at home and weekends.  I know the practice will not reimburse for that time.  Any thoughts?  Approximately 18-20 patients daily in an 8 to 5 M-F with 1 hour for lunch which is usually 15-20 minutes.  Also, each clinician takes the on-call phone home for one week at a time which truthfully really rings and is usually a "panic" value lab.    Any thought or advice??

I had a gig where I was an hourly employee. For a long time I used to stay late to catch up paperwork. Even getting paid, it got to be a burden at the end of a 12 hours shift. I got to the point that every 3-4 patients I would ensure that I caught up on paperwork. If it meant others had to wait a little longer, so be it. 

The hospital CEO wasn't taking much work home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I should add that I am paid hourly and do come in early and stay a little later for my admin.  Always on the clock. Surprisingly the NP's seem to be backed up and wind up with literally hundreds of tasks.  They are all a lot younger than me.  I always finish charting my patient before seeing the next one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SedRate said:

Agree with the others to chart as you go and create a healthy work-life balance, i.e., don't take work home. Easier said than done... 

Both the EMRs I use (Cerner and epic) allow only 4 open charts at once. I really try not to see patient #5 unless they are dying until I finish at least one chart. That way I have a max of 4 charts to complete at the end of a shift. It works 95% of the time. I also agree with "don't work for free". The other thing I have taken to doing is not attending to the lab result file for patients who are not mine. . The docs at that particular job make 3 times what I do hourly. They can deal with that bit of scut work. 

10 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Both the EMRs I use (Cerner and epic) allow only 4 open charts at once. I really try not to see patient #5 unless they are dying until I finish at least one chart. That way I have a max of 4 charts to complete at the end of a shift. It works 95% of the time. I also agree with "don't work for free". The other thing I have taken to doing is not attending to the lab result file for patients who are not mine. . The docs at that particular job make 3 times what I do hourly. They can deal with that bit of scut work. 

That's a great tactic. I try to chart something on each pt (or set of pts on rounds/in clinic) as I go cuz otherwise the day gets away from me and nothing's been done. And then when I have a quiet moment, I knock em out.

I also have Athena and the worklist is crazy.      Yesterday I saw 32 and I am at home right now working on finishing charts/labs, etc.     The only way I see to make this less crazy is to see less patients.     I also do not address any labs or imaging or prescriptions that are not my patients - I forward them to the appropriate provider.

I was off on Thursdays - I work 4-10 hour days and I walked in to 20 "patient cases" that wanted to speak to ONLY me regarding their tests  or had other questions.    That can be a whole days work without seeing one patient in the office.    I forwarded all of those to the nurses .   The workload in PC is overwhelming most days - hence the other topic I have in this forum about taking a different job that I would not love - but less "work from home" without pay.    

I did choose to make it a point to leave the office to finish work at home - so at least I am at home......

Athena makes to many tasks. 
route almost all of them to nursing. 
I even send refill requests to them to prep for my signature. 

patients never get to talk to me directly with out talking with a nurse first. 

20 day is reasonable in Athena with text macros, quick text and brief notes. 

tasks lists—— your nurses and MA are paid to do them.   

• Upvote 1