Help me decide between two jobs......

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, CAAdmission said:

I hate to say it, but I don't view my own relationship with my PCP as a covenant. He's a service provider. I go see him when I need something, and he provides it.

Yes, but when you can see behind the curtain, things change.  I don't really have a PCP myself right now, either, and I definitely should.

12 hours ago, jmj11 said:

Maybe this was discussed above, but I didn't see it, and that's the intangible quality of life issues. I left a fantastic job once for a far lessor job, for the sake of the quality of life of my family. It was hard and I often dream I was back at that old job. But twenty years later, I know beyond a doubt that I did the right thing. I don't know if you have a family and if either job is better than the other regarding the quality of life, time with a spouse or kids, issues, but that should be part of the equation. I think money is over-rated. I met a man in a kayak on Lake Superior once. He had been a corporate lawyer in Chicago, a rat race but big $$$. He gave it all up in his late thirties to move to a podunk town in northern Wisconsin to work as a kayak guide for about $15/ hour and he told me it was the best decision of his life.

^This. I left a job I loved after it changed for the worst for a job that was lesser. My new job is just a job and I'm working on leaving it as it has some other issues, but it's at least allowed me a better quality of life. No more working from home, having to come in on our off days, etc. I frequently think back to my last job because I really enjoyed it and the people, but I just can't go back to not having a life and working at a place that didn't support its people. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SedRate said:

^This. I left a job I loved after it changed for the worst for a job that was lesser. My new job is just a job and I'm working on leaving it as it has some other issues, but it's at least allowed me a better quality of life. No more working from home, having to come in on our off days, etc. I frequently think back to my last job because I really enjoyed it and the people, but I just can't go back to not having a life and working at a place that didn't support its people. 

Yes - to the above.  

The ER job would be just a job - yes more time off so likely better quality of life outside of the clinic - but it would be a job that I would go and watch the clock for when to come home.     I am learning a ton - ER vs PC are two different animals - so in that aspect - I am a better PC provider due to working in the ER.   

I would miss women's health and my kids - I adore my patients for the most part.   But 30 a day with the push to see more is exhausting 

EM in the VA is a very different animal that general EM (I work in community ED's).  I see lots of kids: mostly upper respiratory, belly pain, and minor trauma, occasional badness and some women's health - which honestly isn't my favorite.  (Ever had to do a speculum exam to wash out meth when the baggie they stashed broke?)

However, almost all ED's have patients that you develop relationships with: those with frequent exacerbations of chronic problems, whether medical, mental health, substance abuse, homeless.  You will see that at the VA.

If money is an issue, it would be easy to supplement with urgent care, PRN at a civilian ED, etc.

I've done a bit of primary care and have done EM all of my career - so, while I'm not you and won't presume to know what's best for you, I'd definitely go the EM route.

Edited by ohiovolffemtp
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

EM in the VA is a very different animal that general EM.  I see lots of kids: mostly upper respiratory, belly pain, and minor trauma, occasional badness and some women's health - which honestly isn't my favorite.  (Ever had to do a speculum exam to wash out meth when the baggie they stashed broke?)

However, almost all ED's have patients that you develop relationships with: those with frequent exacerbations of chronic problems, whether medical, mental health, substance abuse, homeless.  You will see that at the VA.

If money is an issue, it would be easy to supplement with urgent care, PRN at a civilian ED, etc.

I've done a bit of primary care and have done EM all of my career - so, while I'm not you and won't presume to know what's best for you, I'd definitely go the EM route.

Unfortunately money is an issue since my PC job pays 20k MORE with productivity.   So to equal what I am making in PC I would HAVE to work an extra shift each pay period.   

1 hour ago, bobuddy said:

That being said - most of everyone here has been in practice for many years - are there jobs you wish you never left  - have regrets?   What made you regret the move the most?   what made you leave?  

I have been a PA for 26 years and have had 9  jobs. I still have 3 of them. I left all the others for good reasons(generally scope of practice and/or respect, never money). I wouldn't go back to any of the ones I left. 

47 minutes ago, bobuddy said:

That being said - most of everyone here has been in practice for many years - are there jobs you wish you never left  - have regrets?   What made you regret the move the most?   what made you leave?  

I'm mid-career so probably not the audience you're asking, but I'll contribute.

I left a job that paid well, good benefits, and was shift workish so I had a decent quality of life. Left because the schedule was exhausting (rotating weeks of days with 24-hour shifts), weekends/holidays, toxic culture, didn't love the work, meetings every other week. On the one hand it was great on paper and I practiced at the top of my license, so I regret leaving that. On the other it was just a job in a toxic culture so overall I don't regret leaving.

Another job, I loved the work and people. Unfortunately, left because it was unsupportive, constant turnover, and the life balance I was initially promised was never delivered. I regret leaving the work and working alongside talented folks. But overall I don't miss not having a life and lack of support, so overall no regrets other than I should've stayed a bit longer and taken more time searching for a new job.

8 hours ago, ventana said:

How is a VA ED a lot of kids?  Thought you had to be a vet??

Just for clarity, I was speaking of the difference between a community ED and a VA ED.  So, no, I would was not saying a VA ED would see kids - that a community ED would.  However, I would expect that in a VA you would have patients you see frequently because of chronic conditions.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:22 PM, ventana said:

As a disabled vet can I get family coverage through VA??

you can. There are some extremely rare circumstances where families are afforded care. As far as I know that has only ever been provided to a spouse but that may be because these are generally older folks.

Family And Caregiver Health Benefits | Veterans Affairs (va.gov)

there are tons of things available depending on level of disability. Home health, hospice, nursing home. There is a program that will pay a family member a stipend to help care for you. They pay you mileage to come to the doctor.

It is a big government PIA to get services a lot of the time but its there.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:22 PM, bobuddy said:

My biggest regret in some circumstances have been not leaving sooner. It has always been personalities. I don't mind working hard. I don't mind being a little underpaid. I don't mind low resource environments. 

But if you act like a jerk long enough, I pretty much have to leave or we will throw hands and I'll wind up in prison. 

• Upvote 1

My biggest issue is expecting us to do the same job as the docs for 1/2 to 1/4 the pay then saying we should not complain.  Respecting that medical knowledge is damn hard to master and not something you can just teach and turn out new grads.  Admin seems to miss this point.  We are just widget makers in their minds.