NP fined for making false claims that she is a physician

I used to work with a physician... who HATED when patient's would refer to me as "doc" or "doctor."  

Of course I always introduce myself as a physician assistant/associate, but at the duration of office visits many patients will still say "thanks doc" "see ya doc"

If he overhead this, he would come sprinting across the office full speed to correct them, and let them know "he is not a doctor."  He then told me it is "actually illegal if I do not correct them."  

🙂

16 minutes ago, ShakaHoo said:

I used to work with a physician... who HATED when patient's would refer to me as "doc" or "doctor."  

People call military medics "doc" knowing they are not docs. It's just life. 

Sounds like someone with a very fragile ego. This is the kind of person that pays extra for "physician" vanity license plates. I'm sad for them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, CAAdmission said:

Sounds like someone with a very fragile ego. This is the kind of person that pays extra for "physician" vanity license plates. I'm sad for them. 

I won't write the license plate here, but it is a "special vanity license" 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

I stopped correcting veterans who call me doc years ago. I take it as a mark of their trust, not misunderstanding my role or credentials.

Same here. I'd ask "you know I'm not a doc, right?" and make sure they acknowledged. On a bunch of occasions, I'd even make a note in the chart that they called me doc but understood I was not one. Just in case the "that's illegal!" thing ever came up.

Edited by CAAdmission

When I got out of the Army my first job was helping open a new rural health clinic where I was the sole provider. When we were ready to be certified as a RHC the state sent someone to make sure we were properly setup under the RHC guidelines. I was told so many times to make sure I identified as a PA that I made a 2 footlong board with NOT A PHYSICIAN burned on it and put eye hooks on the ends with a chain. When they told me the state inspector was there I met him with it around my neck. He laughed a lot and we had no problems with my inspection. I kept that board on my office wall for years.

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

Same here. I'd ask "you know I'm not a doc, right?" and make sure they acknowledged. On a bunch of occasions, I'd even make a note in the chart that they called me doc but understood I was not one. Just in case the "that's illegal!" thing ever came up.

9 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

yup  correct them once then let it go...

Funny the whole doc thing..... that horse has clearly left the barn.....  we have new grad dnp's getting letter from the credentialing committee/hospital addressed to Dr ___________

PT, OT and slew of others ar doctor

Physician is a protected word, Doctor is not

confusion is the name of the game,  why not go after chiro's who say they are physicians (clearly they are not medical doctors/physicians and many are great business people but not great providers) 

• 4 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 1:13 PM, CAAdmission said:

I think someone else mentioned it, but in the Army that's how we could tell we were accepted/respected by the troops and the bosses alike, though with the Navy, PA's/Medics were always Doc regardless - the medics were "Baby Docs" if there was a PA or MO on the ship, and just "Doc" if they were a singleton on a minor vessel.  I recall a couple of the Medical Officers (doctors) were referred to by their rank/name...usually accompanied by a sigh/eye roll - not all that respected/liked.

I ALWAYS correct patients that try calling me "DOC" or "DOCTOR" simply because my regulatory body would likely calf an elephant if someone walked in - it's in our by-laws to ensure we more than adequately identify who/what we are...but usually it's a once and done thing.

I doubt you'd get charged with impersonation if you've clearly identified yourself as "NOTADR" or "NOTAPHYSICIAN", nor would that doc be charged if he didn't correct that person...but each unto their own.  Use it as an opportunity to stretch your occular musculature to get a look at your cerebellum.