“and all the heart piggies went beep, beep, beep, all the way home”

I’m surprised that no one has brought up the study on the genetically altered pig heart that was transplanted into the late stage, non-compliant, heart failure patient.  Study results showed alteration of the normal pig conduction into a more human-like conduction pattern.  The way that I read it, it was taken that they had concerns about prolonging of the PR, QRS (as I recall), and specifically the QT intervals.  I saw it as an adaptation to more human conduction parameters (pigs have shorter PR, QRS, and QT intervals apparently).  I took it as a positive, aside from the QT prolongation (up around .5 sec. as I recall).

• Administrator
1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

I am trying to follow Dr David Sinclair's habit of not eating other mammals. Much easier than going completely vegetarian. 

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/19155774.David_A_Sinclair

You know, if you want a quick way to not eat anything reasonably intelligent, Hebrew dietary laws on clean/unclean animals in Leviticus 11 (on which the modern Kosher laws are based in part) isn't a bad starting point. "Mammals" is a pretty good starting point, but Octopi are also really intelligent non-mammals.

5 hours ago, rev ronin said:

You know, if you want a quick way to not eat anything reasonably intelligent, Hebrew dietary laws on clean/unclean animals in Leviticus 11 (on which the modern Kosher laws are based in part) isn't a bad starting point. "Mammals" is a pretty good starting point, but Octopi are also really intelligent non-mammals.

I already don't eat octopus, squid , or shrimp. I wouldn't eat a parrot or a bat either. 

Chicken, turkey, a few kinds of fish. Cornish game hens. That's about it. I don't like duck or goose, so they are safe too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Industrial farming is my problem. Animal cruelty, hormones, chemicals. It is awful. 

The 100 mile rule is ecologically sound to lower carbon footprint.

image.thumb.png.f8bd63b7dbf3ddc2e7acf1f90010b729.png

Knowing where your nutrition comes from is a good thing.

I avoid meat mostly - some chicken, some turkey. No pork, no beef.

Eggs are a renewable resource and 2 acres from my house with the 30 hens I help feed. Uber natural and healthy.

8 billion people on this rock to support food wise is a daunting and damaging task.

We should all learn how to feed ourselves and reduce the damage to ourselves and the planet.

Animals deserve better than what we have done to them.

Just my 2 cents 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I guess that the medical science part of the story wasn’t of interest…sorry that I brought it up.  Back to my porch, cooler, and firearm.

well back to the science part.... transplanting organs from animals to humans has the potential to save many, many lives.

If the electrophysiology of the transplant was different from humans but the same as the donor animal when working correctly...why would it matter (assuming you get perfusion)?

Now I know that may start a whole 'nuther discussion about the ethics of transhuman transplants but hey....

Some day I imagine we will be 3D printing all kinds of tissue. But until then, animals are a resource. It's hard to say if the average farmed animal has a better or worse life than those in the wild. The farmed ones might get killed instantly by a captive bolt gun while those in the wild die of disease or get eaten by something else. 

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 12:49 PM, CAAdmission said:

Some day I imagine we will be 3D printing all kinds of tissue. But until then, animals are a resource. It's hard to say if the average farmed animal has a better or worse life than those in the wild. The farmed ones might get killed instantly by a captive bolt gun while those in the wild die of disease or get eaten by something else. 

Humaneness and ethics of eating animals aside, I think the two main concerns are what the industrially farmed animals are fed (mainly corn) and the environmental impact of the waste.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 9:20 AM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I’m surprised that no one has brought up the study on the genetically altered pig heart that was transplanted into the late stage, non-compliant, heart failure patient.  Study results showed alteration of the normal pig conduction into a more human-like conduction pattern.  The way that I read it, it was taken that they had concerns about prolonging of the PR, QRS (as I recall), and specifically the QT intervals.  I saw it as an adaptation to more human conduction parameters (pigs have shorter PR, QRS, and QT intervals apparently).  I took it as a positive, aside from the QT prolongation (up around .5 sec. as I recall).

Interesting! I haven't heard of this study. Thanks for sharing. 

On 11/8/2022 at 5:24 AM, CAAdmission said:

Are people here avoiding meat for nutritional reasons or due to some moral imperative? 

Mostly health reasons. I have a familial hypercholesterolemia (low HDL, high triglycerides), which I am trying to control with diet and exercise. As a distance runner, I don't want to take a statin because of the increased potential for rhabdo. 

It's becoming increasingly fashionable to suggest that people should be eating bugs to save the environment. What do you think? Maggot butter for breakfast?

https://www.fao.org/edible-insects/en/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-belgium-cake-bugs/waiter-theres-a-fly-in-my-waffle-belgian-researchers-try-out-insect-butter-idUSKCN20M23U

• Like 1

I don’t want to eat bugs, necessarily. I do want to eat clean with less chemical input (except Oreos) and with thoughts toward where my food comes from and what is in it.

Commercial farming and ranching are fraught with animal abuse and conditions we shouldn’t be ok with. And chemicals, etc.

Going to a more local diet with wholesome foods is better for planet and health. 

Live what we teach and be healthy.

And consider what we are doing to animals and the planet.