Oral and maxillofacial surgery

Hello! I'm wondering if any of you work in oral and maxillofacial surgery, or know any PAs not on the forum that do. I've maybe got an opportunity coming but it seems that OMF PAs are pretty rare....as in I can't even find an association for them. The docs at this oral surgery center are MDs with DMD and/or DDS credentials if that is helpful info. If you're out there I'm curious as to how PAs are utilized at an oral surgery center (surgical assist? or just pre and post op?) and obviously what the stress/job satisfaction/pay looks like.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• Administrator
10 hours ago, rebex79 said:

The docs at this oral surgery center are MDs with DMD and/or DDS credentials if that is helpful info.

Pretty sure having a different medical credential in addition to an MD doesn't make PAs unable to work for them.

In Washington, the podiatrists are wanting to hire PAs and are working on a legislative fix to allow that, but I don't know of any other Non-MD, non-DO clinicians, like dentists, who are allowed or seeking to supervise PAs in this state.

18 hours ago, rebex79 said:

Hello! I'm wondering if any of you work in oral and maxillofacial surgery, or know any PAs not on the forum that do. I've maybe got an opportunity coming but it seems that OMF PAs are pretty rare....as in I can't even find an association for them. The docs at this oral surgery center are MDs with DMD and/or DDS credentials if that is helpful info. If you're out there I'm curious as to how PAs are utilized at an oral surgery center (surgical assist? or just pre and post op?) and obviously what the stress/job satisfaction/pay looks like.

Thanks!

Reality Check 2

I highlighted this as you missed it

They are MD as well

I would think it depends on rather they hold an active MD license with the state as well as DEA as MD with the Feds

If they are active practicing MDs then there should be no reason they can not have a PA (but I am no attorney)

Easy way to find the answer - put in a written question to the board with specifics - i.e. MD status and DEA status

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

There are schools around where you can do a joint MD/DMD in around 6 years.

I ran across a podiatry resident at Madigan 11 years ago who trying to do MD/DPM because he really wanted to do foot surgery for his entire life.  I'm guessing with that credential pair you would NOT end up just doing diabetic nail care. 🙂

I've worked with several podiatrists, DPM's, who did a significant amount of surgery.  Essentially, they would do both traditional podiatric procedures and the same ortho procedures below the knee as orthopods, e.g. tri-mals.  One served as the chief of surgery at a community hospital.  My experience was that if the patient needed a surgical procedure that could be done by the podiatrist, they were better served by the podiatrist than ortho.

• Upvote 2

On 10/16/2022 at 10:15 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

My experience was that if the patient needed a surgical procedure that could be done by the podiatrist, they were better served by the podiatrist than ortho.

May I ask why your experience suggested that patients were better served by podiatrists than Ortho? 

19 minutes ago, SedRate said:

May I ask why your experience suggested that patients were better served by podiatrists than Ortho? 

This was several years ago but where I was at the ortho guys did everything ortho (except spine) and the pods (who branded themselves as foot and ankle surgeons) did nothing but feet and ankles. So they had much more experience at those procedures.

That would seem to translate into them being better at them but that's just an SWAG.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

This was several years ago but where I was at the ortho guys did everything ortho (except spine) and the pods (who branded themselves as foot and ankle surgeons) did nothing but feet and ankles. So they had much more experience at those procedures.

That would seem to translate into them being better at them but that's just an SWAG.

That makes sense. What is important to know is how the patients do, immediately post-op and long-term, as this isn't always discussed or actually known when talking about a "good" vs "not-as-good" surgeon, regardless of experience level. As you have probably come across, there are experienced folks out there who are actually not very good, skills wise. I also find it interesting that many folks base their assessment of a surgeon's skill off of speed, technical knowledge and congeniality, which all don't necessarily translate into quality surgical intervention. 

• 4 weeks later...