Florida PA in trouble for treating daughter with COVID with azithro + hydroxychloroquine

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/07/florida-carsyn-davis-coronavirus/

Summary:

1.   Obese teen with h/o immunosuppression goes to a church party with 100 other kids; no social distancing and no masks

2.   Teen catches COVID

3.  Father who is a PA gives his daugther azithromycin and hydroxychloroquine without outside medical evaluation

4.  Teen deteriorates but parents delay for several days before taking her to clinic

5.  Eventually teen sent to ICU, parents decline intubation, teen dies

I can't help but think that this idiot PA dad delayed taking his daughter to the hospital because he didn't want to answer questions as to why he was writing his daughter hydroxychloroquine.

This idiot dad will be getting a notice of investigation from the Florida Medical Board very soon....

4 hours ago, TexasPA28 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/07/florida-carsyn-davis-coronavirus/

Summary:

1.   Obese teen with h/o immunosuppression goes to a church party with 100 other kids; no social distancing and no masks

2.   Teen catches COVID

3.  Father who is a PA gives his daugther azithromycin and hydroxychloroquine without outside medical evaluation

4.  Teen deteriorates but parents delay for several days before taking her to clinic

5.  Eventually teen sent to ICU, parents decline intubation, teen dies

I can't help but think that this idiot PA dad delayed taking his daughter to the hospital because he didn't want to answer questions as to why he was writing his daughter hydroxychloroquine.

This idiot dad will be getting a notice of investigation from the Florida Medical Board very soon....

Good gawd....

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
14 hours ago, TexasPA28 said:

In that circumstance, I hope they're more interested in making sure that he doesn't suck-start a shotgun. He'd make a compelling evangelist for not doing things the way his family did if he can pull through this.

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2020 at 4:38 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Not sure how complete of a picture the Washington Post story is.  It's being told in quotes from a person who is was fired from her state job, whether rightly or not, and who is advocating for her own views.  As Rev said, it's a tragedy for the whole family.

Like so much news provided, this is an incomplete picture. Medical examiner lists father as a physician assistant, however in another article it states her father died approximately 6 years ago. Was her father that died a PA? Or a ? Step father? Are step parents listed on death certificate if they do no adopt a child? 

Regardless of Father's status as Step Father, if he is a PA, a real PA, then he circumvented a cardinal rule of treating one's own family. We may have all done this but not with an experimental protocol that has had so many side effects when used in combination. It's sad when he could have brought her to an ER or UCC.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ShakaHoo said:

DO NOT TREAT YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS!!

Or friends....I cant tell you how many times I have been asked by friends or even other staff members to be treated off the books.  I won't do it and have been called a jerk because of it.  I'm talking like REALLY close friends.....it sucks to say no, but when it goes bad you will be glad you said no.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, surgblumm said:

Regardless of Father's status as Step Father, if he is a PA, a real PA, then he circumvented a cardinal rule of treating one's own family. We may have all done this but not with an experimental protocol that has had so many side effects when used in combination. It's sad when he could have brought her to an ER or UCC.

Guess I was not totally clear, in my question, thought. The articles mentioned in the medical exam report ? Death certificate that father was a PA. Was it her biological father That passed away who was the PA? And whoever wrote article just used that info? There was no name mentioned and all “treatment” and info only listed mothers name. I just didn’t think the husband of mother would likely be listed as father unless she was adopted. Would figure if a PA was involved, the name would be disclosed already. Maybe I’m missing something. But 100% agree Do Not treat family!!!!

3 hours ago, Cideous said:

Or friends....I cant tell you how many times I have been asked by friends or even other staff members to be treated off the books.  I won't do it and have been called a jerk because of it.  I'm talking like REALLY close friends.....it sucks to say no, but when it goes bad you will be glad you said no.

Totally agree, and this is more for younger PAs or PA students who are reading this- Once you let that genie out of the bottle, there’s no putting it back in.  At the least you become the person that everyone figures out they can go to for a script and it’s harder and harder to say no.  If you hold your ground and don’t do it, people eventually stop asking you.

The worst one I had was an ER tech at a hospital I used to work at who asked for a percocet prescription- he did have a legit finger injury though that had already been treated.  I was floored he even attempted to ask

• Upvote 1

Mom listed as a nurse and they used Grandpa’s oxygen at home.

Such bad parenting and worse professional decision making with an unhealthy dose of religious fervor.

PA dad - whatever his status - should lose license and likely face charges of child endangerment. Same for nurse wife. 

Somehow a faction of society has decided that religious gatherings are exempt from infection..... WTH?