AAPA and Racism

Guest Paula

43 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I agree with you it is kind of disingenuous, and that was my point.  Data doesn't make racism, although liberals/leftists/progressives use data to prove their point all the time...kinda like you just did.  All of those things you listed (teen parenting, poor education, poor economic status cycle)  are more predominate in the poor, and blacks are more likely to be poor, but it doesn't mean that teen parenting is racist.

Agree.  People "see" what they want to see, and in our polarized world many are blind to seeing what other people see.  And, generally, when someone doesn't see the world in the way that a liberal/progressive/leftist sees things they are castigated as inhumane/evil/etc.

About as likely as white supremacists advocating ethnic cleansing through "limiting access to healthcare", right?

In my view there is still racism.  There are a very, very few intense racists in our country, and we ALL have some inherent bias to congregate to those who are like us.  We should all be aware of this and work to overcoming these problems.

There are huge racial disparities (like healthcare access, abortion, morbidity/mortality rates, economic, educational, etc ad nauseum).  We should look for solutions to these, but the causes for these racial disparities are not necessarily RACISM!!  If we can ever get past calling those who disagree with each other RACIST, then perhaps we can start working together to end the disparities.

While I’m sorely tempted to reply, it is off topic for this thread. If I thought we could get anywhere with the developing topic, racism, we should shift the topic back to AAPA statements.

for the record, I’m all for discussing racism and policies to improve it. Let’s just start another thread on it.

2 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I agree with you it is kind of disingenuous, and that was my point.  Data doesn't make racism, although liberals/leftists/progressives use data to prove their point all the time...kinda like you just did.  All of those things you listed (teen parenting, poor education, poor economic status cycle)  are more predominate in the poor, and blacks are more likely to be poor, but it doesn't mean that teen parenting is racist.

Agree.  People "see" what they want to see, and in our polarized world many are blind to seeing what other people see.  And, generally, when someone doesn't see the world in the way that a liberal/progressive/leftist sees things they are castigated as inhumane/evil/etc.

About as likely as white supremacists advocating ethnic cleansing through "limiting access to healthcare", right?

In my view there is still racism.  There are a very, very few intense racists in our country, and we ALL have some inherent bias to congregate to those who are like us.  We should all be aware of this and work to overcoming these problems.

There are huge racial disparities (like healthcare access, abortion, morbidity/mortality rates, economic, educational, etc ad nauseum).  We should look for solutions to these, but the causes for these racial disparities are not necessarily RACISM!!  If we can ever get past calling those who disagree with each other RACIST, then perhaps we can start working together to end the disparities.

I was not sure if I should reply to you, however, to equate that only "liberals/leftists/progressives use data to prove their point all the time" is absolutely false. I do not know where you watch your new or get your information from. But both side do exactly the same thing.  You did the same thing in trying to define your statement. I am all for people agreeing to disagree, but just calling out a different group that have different opinion as you to justify your argument makes it weak. 

Another point you made that is absolutely false is that racial disparities is not a result of RACISM,. Again, I do not know where you got your fact/data from but as someone who is a POC, I can tell you that RACISM, is the number factor for why there are disparities based on a person perceived race. 

I can go into details with you, but I already know we will agree to disagree so I will save my typing strength as my keyboard is not the easiest to type with. 

• Like 1

Data does not make racism.

The fact that a greater percentage of blacks are incarcerated does not make that fact racist.  Even if we parsed every OTHER piece of data related to the subject (crime rate differences, sentencing differences, and then the amorpheous data pieces that are more subjective like the intent of legislators when enacting criminal law, and then the economic drivers) the data does not make things racist.

It is human intent which makes racism.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Data does not make racism.

The fact that a greater percentage of blacks are incarcerated does not make that fact racist.  Even if we parsed every OTHER piece of data related to the subject (crime rate differences, sentencing differences, and then the amorpheous data pieces that are more subjective like the intent of legislators when enacting criminal law, and then the economic drivers) the data does not make things racist.

It is human intent which makes racism.

Okay..*eyes rolled* Hope any POC that is a patient of yours is not dismissed with dismissive attitude you bring to an argument when receiving a treatment. 

15 minutes ago, okons212 said:

Okay..*eyes rolled* Hope any POC that is a patient of yours is not dismissed with dismissive attitude you bring to an argument when receiving a treatment. 

15 minutes ago, okons212 said:

I as a "POC" find YOUR attitude as part of the problem! You post a statement inferring that "Boats" would be dismissive of a patient because of their race or ethnicity!!! I find that the "race card" being flung into the face of a person not of color has created a significant backlash toward those who may in fact have experienced racist behaviors. In my years of life having been born into a racially segregated world of the 50s' I now hear more cries of "Racism" than ever! Eyes not rolling!

Edited by CAdamsPAC
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, okons212 said:

Okay..*eyes rolled* Hope any POC that is a patient of yours is not dismissed

maybe you can stop your juvenile eyerolling for a minute and try to have a conversation with someone who may have a different opinion than you.

Just so I can clarify your position, are you saying that all racial disparities are caused by racism?

BTW - want to know where the best place to have conversations about race? Not in college where you are required to echo the professor and have any non-PC opinion shouted down.  The best place is when you are stuck in very close quarters with people of every racial and socioeconomic backgroundx and you are all carryimg guns!

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Boatswain2PA said:

maybe you can stop your juvenile eyerolling for a minute and try to have a conversation with someone who may have a different opinion than you.

Just so I can clarify your position, are you saying that all racial disparities are caused by racism?

BTW - want to know where the best place to have conversations about race? Not in college where you are required to echo the professor and have any non-PC opinion shouted down.  The best place is when you are stuck in very close quarters with people of every racial and socioeconomic backgroundx and you are all carryimg guns!

I think you just described the military. While certainly not flawless it was about as close to a classless society I ever experienced. It was designed to be a meritocracy.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, CAdamsPAC said:

I as a "POC" find YOUR attitude as part of the problem! You post a statement inferring that "Boats" would be dismissive of a patient because of their race or ethnicity!!! I find that the "race card" being flung into the face of a person not of color has created a significant backlash toward those who may in fact have experienced racist behaviors. In my years of life having been born into a racially segregated world of the 50s' I now hear more cries of "Racism" than ever! Eyes not rolling!