Ask a PA Admissions Director

@reganc87 Thank you for your question. Our program tends to put more emphasis on the combined score. Some programs may look at the percentile rankings of your scores. So if you're in the 50% for each section I think you'll be ok, but be sure to look at the requirements/recommendations for the programs you're applying to. I personally think a 300 is competitive, but check behind me with the other programs. Hope this helps!

Hello paadmissions,

Great stuff on this thread! I was curious to know your opinion regarding interview selectivity in light of an applicant's total package. Would you say a well-written and emotional personal narrative is more likely to earn one an interview than any other factor? This is assuming there isn't a figurative ocean between the numbers on paper between two given applicants competing for an interview spot. Thanks in advance.

@naphthalene Thank you for your question. What our program prefers to see in a personal statement is an insightful and analytical evaluation of the profession, while incorporating your clinical experience and plans into the statement. I do feel almost every applicant has some "ah-ha" moment during their clinical experience that has made an impact on them..meaning that one patient or experience that deepened your desire to be a PA. However, telling that story in your personal statement is what almost every single applicant does so it's like reading the same personal statement 30 times in a week. Those who write their personal statement with thought and who don't restate their resume' tend to stand out in my opinion. As you've already recognized, your "supporting cast" (GPAs, GRE, and HCE) need to be competitive as well. Hope this helps!

Can my personal pediatric gastro Dr. (who I no longer see) write one of the LOR's? I've known him for about eight years and he's gotten to know me more than most doctors know their patients I assume. He's offered to write me a LOR several times but I keep saying "thanks, but no thanks" because I've never actually worked with him nor shadowed him. Would it be ok to accept the letter if I were to shadow him one or two days? Would it be considered an inappropriate/irrelevant letter coming from a personal physician just as it is if you asked a family member to write you one?

Thanks!

I apologize if this question has been asked already but how to PA schools look upon online science courses? I've already graduated from the University of Maryland with a Bachelors in Kinesiology and have all of my prerequisites met. I am currently working as an EMT so I work all sorts of strange hours which really limits what courses I can take at a 4 year college to further boost my science credentials. Drexel's PA program suggested I look into the online premed courses offered through UNE but I don't want to be looked down upon for taking them. I'll be out of school for 2 years before entering PA school ( God willing) so I'd like to keep my academics fresh and show that I'm serious about becoming a PA and have the ability to handle the work load. Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it!

As an admissions director how do you perceive an extremely low freshman year? I graduated with a 3.37 cumulative/3.7 science GPA however I had a .56 after my freshman year. I maintained straight As (with two exceptions) from sophmore year until graduation. I'm afraid my horrible freshman year will scare away programs.

etopn23, I had 20+ hours of F from my first 3 semesters of school and then had pretty much exactly the same grades you are talking about having. I got plenty of interviews and got into a great school. If you can (briefly, and in a nonspecific way...don't hang yourself) frame it as a good learning/growing/formative experience in your personal statement you should be just fine. All my interviewers told me they thought it looked really good and were impressed rather than turned off by it. Remember that they get a breakdown of your grades by year of undergrad, not just bulk.

@umscheidj Thank you for your question. I really think the answer to that depends on the programs that interest you. I tend to lean more towards encouraging applicants to take as many courses, particularly in the sciences, in the classroom if possible. We count online courses, but I think it better prepares the student and tends to make the application more competitive. If you're only taking 1 or 2 courses online, that's much better than taking 3 or more in my opinion. The UNE is a popular institution for online pre-med courses and tend to fit a lot schedules. Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

@etopn23 Thank you for your question. I do have to commend you for graduating with a 3.37 with a below average start your freshman year...well done! If I saw your application I would like to see a brief explanation in your personal statement of what happened your freshman year. Your upward trend in academic performance is going to stand out. Just make sure the GPAs in the prerequisites for the programs you're applying to are at or exceeding recommendations/requirements and that you've met other requirements (HCE and GRE/MCAT scores). Hope this helps!

Hello! I am about to graduate from UNC-CH this December and plan on applying to PA school in 2014. I'm a little worried about a couple of courses on my transcript. I received two C's my sophomore year of college at a time of great personal distress, and one C+ in a pre-req course (Organic Chem II) because only just before the final did I figure out a way to study that really worked for me. Would you say getting a C in some of your coursework greatly diminishes your chances of being considered for a program, and should I consider retaking them? I have an overall GPA of 3.52 and have yet to take the GRE, but I feel like my strong suit is community service. I have volunteered in therapeutic riding everywhere I have lived, at the UNC Hospital, in children's homes, free clinics and more! Is there an emphasis on community service when applying to be a PA, and is that something Methodist encourages for its students?

@apollak Thank you for your question. There seems to be some interest in our program so I definitely encourage you to look over your prereqs to see what that GPA would be..just in those classes. If you're not at or above (preferably above to be competitive) I would recommend a retake in the classes where you've scores B-s and Cs. That will help boost that GPA. Your overall is fine. GRE scores are weighed as heavy as the prereq GPA so that will need to be in the range of 297-300. We do like to see involvement in the community, leadership positions and quality health care experience. All of these factors make up a strong application. If you have any questions you can email me directly at jmish@methodist.edu. Best wishes!

@DTLarson...SORRY! I overlooked your post...As you're aware, you will have significant work to do to make yourself a competitive candidate for PA school. Post-bacc programs are becoming a very good way to complete a lot of difficult coursework in a short amount--very similar to PA school. You may want to contact the programs that interest you and ask if you were to have a competitive prerequisite GPA at the conclusion of the pre-health/post bacc program, would you even be considered. It is difficult to raise an overall GPA, but there may be some programs that will focus more on your recent work, especially if all other factors are exceeding requirements (i.e. HCE, GRE/MCAT scores). Hope this helps and sorry for the long delay!

@Krystal726 Thanks for your question...I honestly don't think it's a bad thing to send a thank you card even if it's later than 24 hours. We've received cards sometimes 2 weeks after an interview, but to be honest, we don't think negatively of the applicant in situations like that. Some programs may have different expectations than ours, though I don't think it's something that would hurt an admissions decision...just my opinion.

I'm planning on applying to PA school after I graduate next year. I'm majoring in biology and was planning on minoring in math. For my final semester in the spring I can take a math class to complete the minor or take a psychology class. I'm not really enjoying the math as much as before and would rather take the psychology class. Would a math minor help in getting into a PA school ?

Hello! I've been offered an interview at a school next month. This program allows me to have 2 outstanding prereqs at the time of application. If I am offered a spot prior to the end of these two prereqs being finished, how does that work for most schools? Will I be required to receive a certain grade in these outstanding classes? Or do I just need to meet the schools minimum (for example, a C in all required courses)? Thank you for your help!

I'm planning on applying to PA school after I graduate next year. I'm majoring in biology and was planning on minoring in math. For my final semester in the spring I can take a math class to complete the minor or take a psychology class. I'm not really enjoying the math as much as before and would rather take the psychology class. Would a math minor help in getting into a PA school ?

@bonnieam Thank you for your question. It always is nice to see a double major or minor with an applicant's file, but it's not the end of the world if you decide to go the psychology route. I personally would want to finish the minor just because I think it's good to see applicants follow through with it, especially if you only have one course left to take. Hope this helps!