Ask a PA Admissions Director

@smani06 Thank you for your questions. If you have all Bs in your prerequisites that's going to equate to a 3.0 GPA...to be competitive I think applicants need those prerequisites to be at or above a 3.4. Since you're considering going back to retake some of the courses I would strongly discourage retaking them online and I'm not a fan of retaking them at a cc, especially Org I and Biochemistry. I don't know if other programs do this, but we pay attention to where courses are taken. For example (excuse the run-on sentence), if you're at a well-known, relatively  competitive institution, and are struggling or performing average, and in the summer you decide to take your more difficult courses (i.e. Organic Chemistry I and Biochemistry) at a community college...then return back to your other school, show no academic improvement, it's a red flag, at least to us. It can be perceived as "taking the easy way out" and using those as a GPA booster.  That said, your GPA is pretty solid and not one that would typically warrant concern about your potential..but to me, taking those courses at a cc or online doesn't demonstrate your desire to prove that you can do better while at the same school (or at another 4 year university that is just a competitive). I like to tell applicants not to cheat themselves because you don't do yourself any favors when preparing for a PA curriculum. I hope this makes sense and let me know if you have any further questions! 

Hi there!

I first want to thank you for taking your time to read and answer all these questions! I am just wondering what my chances of getting into PA school are. I have a 3.5 GPA overall in my undergrad. I am currently a Junior so I would be applying in the next cycle. This summer I worked about 500 hours in a clinic and I am currently a volunteer at the local Emergency Room. My main question is about my GPA. I would think a 3.5 is considered competitive, but in most of my prerequisite classes (Chem 1, Chem 2, Organic Chem, Psychology, Biochem) I received B's in. Would it be worth it to retake them online at a community college to get an A?  

Hi Admission Director, I had asked you a couple questions about my application before and I am now updating you on my process. Please advice me if I am ready to apply this April 2014. I feel that I made a lot of improvements on my application. I hope that admission committees will see the improvements and the upward trend in my GPA. I'm also taking more prerequisites that the majority of programs require since last time I only apply to programs that I have fulfilled the minimum prerequisites for. 

First time application GPA (CASPA): ~3.2  sGPA: ~3.2

HCE

• none

Volunteer

• Vietnamese teacher at community church ~ 2 years 
  • Piano teacher at community church ~ 3 years
  • Piano player for church ~ 10 years
  • Holiday plays coordinator ~ 4 years

Work experience

• Private piano teacher ~ 6 years
  • Research Assistant ~ 4 months

This coming cycle :

GPA: 3.410 and improving more as I take more prerequisites 

HCE

• CNA at a Sub-acute unit facility, by April I hope to have ~1500hrs
  • Shadow PA and MD: 100hrs

Volunteer: Same as previous

Honors: Chi Alpha Epsilon, Academic Achievement Recipient

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate your time and input ! 

Hello good sir! 

Hope you don't mind if i throw my hat into the ring. Planning a life change from International Development to Physician Assistant and would appreciate your point of view:

- 2009 graduated with a 2.8 and a degree in International Business. ( Not off to a good start)

- 2010-2012: Education volunteer with Peace Corps Dominican Republic. I served as Chairman of the Peace Corps Medical Missions Committee organizing and participating in over a dozen Medical Missions ranging from general care to orthopedic surgery in rural settings. (Fluent in Spanish)

- 2012-Current: Field Operations Manager for an International Health NGO in the Dominican Republic working in preventative care specializing in AIDS and chronic non-communicable diseases.

After spending the past 3-ish years experiencing a wide range of medical environments i have decided i would like to be able to contribute in a more tangible way. I have spoken with PA's and done heavy research into many programs. I feel very strongly that this is what I should be doing. I realize the path to even becoming relevant is very uphill for me. I know the pre-reqs that are necessary and plan on becoming CNA certified once my contract ends next march. My question is to what effect does my international health experience and Spanish fluency have on you as an admissions counselor and would Acing my pre-reqs, experience as a CNA and scoring well on the GRE help occlude my embarrassing undergrad GPA? What else would you recommend? 

Thank you very much

Joe

Good Morning paadmissions

I am currently looking to go to PA school for the 2015 year and I was wondering if you could give me some advise or recommendations to get my application more competitive. 

Overall GPA:3.55

Prerequisite GPA: currently a 3 (still have to take Biochemistry and Genetics and retaking General Chemistry and Microbiology) 

Bachelors of Science in Respiratory Care

HCE

2000 hours working full time as a critical care/emergency RRT at a hospital while I was finishing up my BSRC 

1000 hours participating in research using pre-emptive Airway Pressure Release Ventilation in preventing Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and Using high frequency percussive ventilation in the mobilization of secretions while doing my BSRC

500 hours and climbing as a full time critical care RT at a top hospital in New York City

Teaching Experience:

Professor of Mechanical Ventilation at a community college. 13 8 hour classes divided up into lecture and lab. 
Guest lecturer for Junior RT students while getting my BSRC instructing the use of Airway Pressure Release Ventilation and High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation in Adults, FLOLAN and Inhaled Nitric Oxide use

Volunteer experience

Pulmonary function technologist at a state fair

Charter member of a local drum and bugle corps. Was a member from 2007 to 2010 when we became world champions for our class.

What I am most concerned about is my prerequisite GPA. I am retaking the 2 classes that I didn't do to hot in (C's) and plan on acing them as well as biochemistry and genetics to show how much I have matured. When I took those classes, I was ok with just doing the minimum because I never pushed myself to do better. Once I got into healthcare, I have really found that medicine is fascinating and welcome the challenge of complex and rare cases. I plan on getting my letters of recommendation from a PA-C that I work with all the time at my current hospital, the director of the cardiopulmonary surgery research lab that I participated in, and the Director of the respiratory care program that I was an adjunct instructor for. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for you time!

Dear Admissions Director,

I signed up for Spanish for credit this semester.  It is not a prereq for me, but I really would like to know Spanish.

Unfortunately I really don't like the class I've chosen.  It is poorly run and largely gets in the way of learning.  I have also been trying to get the professor to clarify what my current grade is for a few weeks now (perhaps her English is not great?) and I still have no idea if I'm a solid A or well on my way to a B.  Yikes.

I like A's and I'm normally willing to stick it out and work for them.  But I am actually really excited to learn Spanish and this course is a hindrance. It takes up my time without much useful result.

This will be the second W in my prerequisite period of studies (the first was a psych elective I subsequently made an A in).  

Can I drop this class and take a W without worries for my PA application?

Thanks!

@ru2013 Yes, I think you're much more competitive for applying in April. Just make sure you're on schedule to complete any outstanding coursework by the specific deadlines for the programs you're applying to.  If the programs you're applying to require the GRE, now is the time to prepare for it and take it. I would tell you to aim for taking the GRE no later than December, which will allow you enough time to retake it if need be. Hope this helps!

Hi Admission Director, I had asked you a couple questions about my application before and I am now updating you on my process. Please advice me if I am ready to apply this April 2014. I feel that I made a lot of improvements on my application. I hope that admission committees will see the improvements and the upward trend in my GPA. I'm also taking more prerequisites that the majority of programs require since last time I only apply to programs that I have fulfilled the minimum prerequisites for. 

First time application GPA (CASPA): ~3.2  sGPA: ~3.2

HCE

• none

Volunteer

• Vietnamese teacher at community church ~ 2 years 
  • Piano teacher at community church ~ 3 years
  • Piano player for church ~ 10 years
  • Holiday plays coordinator ~ 4 years

Work experience

• Private piano teacher ~ 6 years
  • Research Assistant ~ 4 months

This coming cycle :

GPA: 3.410 and improving more as I take more prerequisites 

HCE

• CNA at a Sub-acute unit facility, by April I hope to have ~1500hrs
  • Shadow PA and MD: 100hrs

Volunteer: Same as previous

Honors: Chi Alpha Epsilon, Academic Achievement Recipient

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate your time and input ! 

@jsouth Thank you for your question. From a preliminary standpoint you're starting off on the right path..determining outstanding prerequisites and accumulating hours. Because your GPA is lower than a 3.0, your performance in the prerequisites is critical. However, I would encourage you to consider taking above and beyond the courses required. I would aim for at least 45 hours of post-bacc work to help you demonstrate to the committee your potential to be successful. I'm a fan of recommending that you take these at the university level and in the classroom if possible. Most programs will not care what you majored in, but with a major in business the chances that you've taken a lot of biology and/or chemistry courses is slim. If you're just now starting to take courses I would delay your application until you've completed the majority of planned coursework so it shows a significant amount of improvement and completed work. I hope this helps and best wishes. 

Hello good sir! 

Hope you don't mind if i throw my hat into the ring. Planning a life change from International Development to Physician Assistant and would appreciate your point of view:

- 2009 graduated with a 2.8 and a degree in International Business. ( Not off to a good start)

- 2010-2012: Education volunteer with Peace Corps Dominican Republic. I served as Chairman of the Peace Corps Medical Missions Committee organizing and participating in over a dozen Medical Missions ranging from general care to orthopedic surgery in rural settings. (Fluent in Spanish)

- 2012-Current: Field Operations Manager for an International Health NGO in the Dominican Republic working in preventative care specializing in AIDS and chronic non-communicable diseases.

After spending the past 3-ish years experiencing a wide range of medical environments i have decided i would like to be able to contribute in a more tangible way. I have spoken with PA's and done heavy research into many programs. I feel very strongly that this is what I should be doing. I realize the path to even becoming relevant is very uphill for me. I know the pre-reqs that are necessary and plan on becoming CNA certified once my contract ends next march. My question is to what effect does my international health experience and Spanish fluency have on you as an admissions counselor and would Acing my pre-reqs, experience as a CNA and scoring well on the GRE help occlude my embarrassing undergrad GPA? What else would you recommend? 

Thank you very much

Joe

@ardsnet Thank you for your question. I do think you are correct that the prerequisite GPA may be the one factor holding you back. If you do well in the retakes where will that bring your prereq GPA? If it's not boosting it too much, you may also want to consider retaking a few of the other prerequisites to get higher scores. I honestly don't think you need a perfect 4.0, but if you're on par with your overall GPA it will make your application more competitive.  GRE scores, if required, will be something you need to prepare for. I hope this helps!

Good Morning paadmissions

I am currently looking to go to PA school for the 2015 year and I was wondering if you could give me some advise or recommendations to get my application more competitive. 

Overall GPA:3.55

Prerequisite GPA: currently a 3 (still have to take Biochemistry and Genetics and retaking General Chemistry and Microbiology) 

Bachelors of Science in Respiratory Care

HCE

2000 hours working full time as a critical care/emergency RRT at a hospital while I was finishing up my BSRC 

1000 hours participating in research using pre-emptive Airway Pressure Release Ventilation in preventing Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and Using high frequency percussive ventilation in the mobilization of secretions while doing my BSRC

500 hours and climbing as a full time critical care RT at a top hospital in New York City

Teaching Experience:

Professor of Mechanical Ventilation at a community college. 13 8 hour classes divided up into lecture and lab. 
Guest lecturer for Junior RT students while getting my BSRC instructing the use of Airway Pressure Release Ventilation and High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation in Adults, FLOLAN and Inhaled Nitric Oxide use

Volunteer experience

Pulmonary function technologist at a state fair

Charter member of a local drum and bugle corps. Was a member from 2007 to 2010 when we became world champions for our class.

What I am most concerned about is my prerequisite GPA. I am retaking the 2 classes that I didn't do to hot in (C's) and plan on acing them as well as biochemistry and genetics to show how much I have matured. When I took those classes, I was ok with just doing the minimum because I never pushed myself to do better. Once I got into healthcare, I have really found that medicine is fascinating and welcome the challenge of complex and rare cases. I plan on getting my letters of recommendation from a PA-C that I work with all the time at my current hospital, the director of the cardiopulmonary surgery research lab that I participated in, and the Director of the respiratory care program that I was an adjunct instructor for. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for you time!

@themickk Thank you for your question. I would check with the programs you're applying to to see what their policies are for p/f. Some programs may require you to get a letter grade in the course and some will accept p/f. The only issue with p/f is that the grading scale may not always be clear, so you may pass the course, but passing could be less than a C. You may also want to speak with your academic advisor at the institution to see if a grading scale to define the p/f benchmarks could be provided. Hope this helps!

Hi! 

What is the general policy on Pass/Fail classes? I'm taking an upper level genetics course out of interest under the Pass/Fail grading system. Is P/F worse than not taking the class at all? Will it hurt my transcript if I don't receive a real grade in the class?

Thank you!!!

@callingly Thank you for your question. Since the course is not a prerequisite and you're still doing well, I would encourage you to stick with the course. There will be times when an instructor may not teach a class the way some may want it to be taught...unfortunately, you can't always please everyone. However, I think it's best to stick it out and continue to work hard-that to me shows more determination. I understand when applicants say an instructor is difficult, but that can be perceived as opposite of what your intentions are. I hope this helps!

Dear Admissions Director,

I signed up for Spanish for credit this semester.  It is not a prereq for me, but I really would like to know Spanish.

Unfortunately I really don't like the class I've chosen.  It is poorly run and largely gets in the way of learning.  I have also been trying to get the professor to clarify what my current grade is for a few weeks now (perhaps her English is not great?) and I still have no idea if I'm a solid A or well on my way to a B.  Yikes.

I like A's and I'm normally willing to stick it out and work for them.  But I am actually really excited to learn Spanish and this course is a hindrance. It takes up my time without much useful result.

This will be the second W in my prerequisite period of studies (the first was a psych elective I subsequently made an A in).  

Can I drop this class and take a W without worries for my PA application?

Thanks!

It's me Again, RU2013 hehe. I'd like to ask a question about personal Statement. Since I am a reapplicant, I plan to explain my improvements and what else i've done since last time I applied. But I did not apply to many programs last time. So technically, It would be my first time applying to these other schools this time. SHould I still state that I am a re-applicant and what I have improved this time ? CASPA sends out only one copy to all these schools so I am not very clear of what I should do. Thank you again for your time and advice ! 

@callingly Thank you for your question. Since the course is not a prerequisite and you're still doing well, I would encourage you to stick with the course. There will be times when an instructor may not teach a class the way some may want it to be taught...unfortunately, you can't always please everyone. However, I think it's best to stick it out and continue to work hard-that to me shows more determination. I understand when applicants say an instructor is difficult, but that can be perceived as opposite of what your intentions are. I hope this helps!

Oh no!  I was hoping you could say I could drop it.  Could I make up for the appearance of not being determined by learning Spanish nearly fluently by the time I apply? Part of the problem is I want to learn to speak Spanish a lot faster than this class really supports.  I have been looking into more of an intensive immersion style of language learning. And I would like to take a formal conversation class for credit next semester.

This academic portion of this class isn't hard.  It's an online class and there are just ongoing hassles dealing with logistics of it: the periodic failure of parts of the system or the crashing of the entire system.  Grading can seem arbitrary. Assignments seem silly. Couple this with a professor with whom I have to exchange a dozen emails to get a straightforward answer to a simple question (like what is my real grade or can you hear my recorded audio assignments) and I'm feeling frustrated.  Half the class has dropped so far.

I have the highest grade in my A&P class right now, but this class is driving me nuts.

@ru2013 Thank you for your question. I would mark that you have applied, but as you've stated, make a comment in your PS about how you've improved from last cycle..particularly in your academics and HCE, if that's where you needed to improve.  Because CASPA mails one application you will need to mark that you're a reapplicant. I run into this "situation" more than I'd like to see with applicants putting they didn't apply last cycle. Keep in mind, most of us have databases and it does a cross-check when we download the information into our systems...we will see if you're reapplying.  You don't want it perceived as lying, although that's not your intention. A lot of times the programs you're applying will have a supplemental application that may help you clarify your status. I hope this helps!

It's me Again, RU2013 hehe. I'd like to ask a question about personal Statement. Since I am a reapplicant, I plan to explain my improvements and what else i've done since last time I applied. But I did not apply to many programs last time. So technically, It would be my first time applying to these other schools this time. SHould I still state that I am a re-applicant and what I have improved this time ? CASPA sends out only one copy to all these schools so I am not very clear of what I should do. Thank you again for your time and advice ! 

Hello @paadmissions,

I have already interviewed at one school this cycle and received a question that sort of made me stop dead and give them the uhhhh... look.  During my interview the first question that was asked was, "Tell me something about yourself that is not already listed on your application." I know that this sounds like quite an easy question, but I didn't know what exactly to share with them that would be relevant to the interview/being a PA.. or does it need to be relevant to the PA profession or are they looking to get to know me on a more personal level.....I just want to know just in case it comes up again.. what exactly should I share with them for that question?

Thank you for your time!!

Hi PA Admissions Director, I was wondering if you could please give me advice.

Some stats about me:

2004 - Graduated college with a BA in Economics from a college in Georgia

2004-2006 - Worked in an advertising agency (realized I wanted to go into healthcare at this time)

2007 - Went back to college and finished science prerequisites/postbacc classes in Florida for medical school (waitlisted at the end of 2007)

2008 - 2012 Enrolled at a caribbean medical school.  Had a difficult 1st couple of semesters, had to retake some courses.  Had to transfer to another caribbean medical school.  Passed USMLE Step 1 and Step 2.  ECFMG certified.

Overall undergrad GPA: 2.95

Science undergrad GPA: 3.4

GRE: pending

Passed USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS

2 years of U.S. Clinical rotations (over 3,000 hrs of HCE)

ECFMG Certified

Did not match into residency last year (could be due to my red flags).

Currently: working in research at a 1,500 bed hospital in Texas, also doing clinical externship to keep my clinical skills up (obtaining H&P's, performing PE's, developing assessment/plan, and going over my plan with an attending physician).

I'm wondering how I would look to an admissions committee.  I know that I am a medical school graduate that has had a hard time matching.  But I came to the realization of being a PA during my clinical rotation years.  I rotated with PA's in quite a few of my rotations in Georgia and Connecticut.  My goal has always been to be a healthcare provider in an underserved part of the country.  I am not looking for advanced standing with my medical school credits.

In all honesty, I'm sure most FMG's/IMG's that apply to PA school as a backup, but I honestly do not see it that way.  I want to function as a primary care provider, regardless of the letters behind my name.  I came to this realization during my rotations.

Thanks.

@samstelmack Other than that one question I hope the rest of your interview went well. If one of our admissions committee members asked that question, I would think they would be looking for a personal attribute that would allow them to get to know you more on a personal level. Any insight that can be given about your interests outside of applying to PA school is a good way to get to know applicants a little better.  Hope this helps and fingers crossed you get good news in return.

Hello @paadmissions,

I have already interviewed at one school this cycle and received a question that sort of made me stop dead and give them the uhhhh... look.  During my interview the first question that was asked was, "Tell me something about yourself that is not already listed on your application." I know that this sounds like quite an easy question, but I didn't know what exactly to share with them that would be relevant to the interview/being a PA.. or does it need to be relevant to the PA profession or are they looking to get to know me on a more personal level.....I just want to know just in case it comes up again.. what exactly should I share with them for that question?

Thank you for your time!!

@fptgcc Thank you for your questions. The positive side of your situation is that you were not dismissed from medical school, making you more eligible than those who have been dismissed.  You've expressed your desire to be a PA quite a bit in your post, and I would encourage you to use something similar in your personal statement should apply. I would be sure to mention other than not matching with a residency program, why the PA profession is attractive you. Even with medical students in the US who have decided to withdraw from medical school and who apply to our program, the first question is "why PA?" Also, you've mentioned some academic difficulty with your first medical school, so don't ignore the elephant in the room and address why you struggled and why you were successful in the other program.  Also, as you research programs make sure that your performed competitively in the prerequisite required for those specific programs. Hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions Director, I was wondering if you could please give me advice.

Some stats about me:

2004 - Graduated college with a BA in Economics from a college in Georgia

2004-2006 - Worked in an advertising agency (realized I wanted to go into healthcare at this time)

2007 - Went back to college and finished science prerequisites/postbacc classes in Florida for medical school (waitlisted at the end of 2007)

2008 - 2012 Enrolled at a caribbean medical school.  Had a difficult 1st couple of semesters, had to retake some courses.  Had to transfer to another caribbean medical school.  Passed USMLE Step 1 and Step 2.  ECFMG certified.

Overall undergrad GPA: 2.95

Science undergrad GPA: 3.4

GRE: pending

Passed USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS

2 years of U.S. Clinical rotations (over 3,000 hrs of HCE)

ECFMG Certified

Did not match into residency last year (could be due to my red flags).

Currently: working in research at a 1,500 bed hospital in Texas, also doing clinical externship to keep my clinical skills up (obtaining H&P's, performing PE's, developing assessment/plan, and going over my plan with an attending physician).

I'm wondering how I would look to an admissions committee.  I know that I am a medical school graduate that has had a hard time matching.  But I came to the realization of being a PA during my clinical rotation years.  I rotated with PA's in quite a few of my rotations in Georgia and Connecticut.  My goal has always been to be a healthcare provider in an underserved part of the country.  I am not looking for advanced standing with my medical school credits.

In all honesty, I'm sure most FMG's/IMG's that apply to PA school as a backup, but I honestly do not see it that way.  I want to function as a primary care provider, regardless of the letters behind my name.  I came to this realization during my rotations.

Thanks.

@fptgcc Thank you for your questions. The positive side of your situation is that you were not dismissed from medical school, making you more eligible than those who have been dismissed.  You've expressed your desire to be a PA quite a bit in your post, and I would encourage you to use something similar in your personal statement should apply. I would be sure to mention other than not matching with a residency program, why the PA profession is attractive you. Even with medical students in the US who have decided to withdraw from medical school and who apply to our program, the first question is "why PA?" Also, you've mentioned some academic difficulty with your first medical school, so don't ignore the elephant in the room and address why you struggled and why you were successful in the other program.  Also, as you research programs make sure that your performed competitively in the prerequisite required for those specific programs. Hope this helps!

Thanks PA Admissions,

Just another few questions for you:

1. Have there been many people in my position that have applied to PA programs?  I really feel like my situation is unique. Have any been admitted to your program?  In all honesty, I am just worried that my status as a medical school graduate can go against me.

2. Do PA programs see my transcripts from medical school?  I was told by a program that I have to send foreign school transcripts to some credentialing service.  But I believe that is for granting academic credit for advanced standing.  I'm not looking for advanced standing.  Shouldn't the ECFMG be enough certification (the official credentialing service for the U.S.)

3. Can I send my USMLE transcripts to programs?  How does passing the USMLE look to admissions directors?  I hope it is positive-- the academic material is essentially the same (I rotated with many PA students that studied with the same materials we were studying with).  I feel, given enough time and the appropriate resources, that I can pass the PANCE/PANRE on the first try.  I hope that me passing the USMLE proves to admissions directors that I can.

@fptgcc There have been people in your situation who apply and who have applied to our program. We do have a firm policy though that anyone dismissed from medical school is not eligible to apply-although its not your situation it is the usual situation we have seen. If this application cycle is not an option for you you may want to consider taking prerequisites to enhance your application. It's just a suggestion. 

More than likely you will have to submit your transcripts to the World Education Services (WES) for review. Most programs will require it. And yes, we will see your performance in medical school. It will vary how each program uses the WES evaluation. 

You'll need to check with the programs you're applying to to see if your USMLE transcripts are needed. Some may need them some do not. We do not require them. 

Thanks PA Admissions,

Just another few questions for you:

1. Have there been many people in my position that have applied to PA programs?  I really feel like my situation is unique. Have any been admitted to your program?  In all honesty, I am just worried that my status as a medical school graduate can go against me.

2. Do PA programs see my transcripts from medical school?  I was told by a program that I have to send foreign school transcripts to some credentialing service.  But I believe that is for granting academic credit for advanced standing.  I'm not looking for advanced standing.  Shouldn't the ECFMG be enough certification (the official credentialing service for the U.S.)

3. Can I send my USMLE transcripts to programs?  How does passing the USMLE look to admissions directors?  I hope it is positive-- the academic material is essentially the same (I rotated with many PA students that studied with the same materials we were studying with).  I feel, given enough time and the appropriate resources, that I can pass the PANCE/PANRE on the first try.  I hope that me passing the USMLE proves to admissions directors that I can.

@futurepa19 I would hold off on sending updates in unless they've said you can do that. They should have everything they need to make a decision...to be honest it's more filing on our end :) BUT they should have enough to make that call. I like thank you cards so well done!

PA Admissions,

I submitted my CASPA in June 2013 and recently returned from three interviews. I sent thank you cards immediately upon returning home but want to send a follow-up resume / CV to discuss what I have accomplished since June. (Oddly enough, it didn't come up in the interview.) What is your opinion on this? Does this make me look desperate?

Thank you,

Taylor

Guest KRJames

I just want to say thank you for this forum! You are amazing! I'm almost sad that I have finally caught up with present time....I have been reading this as I could for weeks. I'm applying in 2016 to start in 2017 so I hope you hang in there with me!

I do actually have one question already though, I took the GRE 1 month ago. My scores were V-161 Q-156 and AW-3.5

Is the 3.5 an eyesore? How important is the analytical writing to PA admission? Do I need to retake it?

Would there be any repercussions job potential-wise to graduating from a new program that is provisionally accredited? What about graduating from such a new PA program that fails to get its full accreditation at any point within the initial 5-year window, after you graduate from the program? Or do most employers look first and foremost at whether or not you passed the PANCE, i.e. would it not matter at that point as long as the student passed the PANCE?

It seems like this is fairly common so I figured I'd ask away, any feedback is much appreciated!

I'm currently finishing up my science prereqs, taking Organic 2 and Cell Bio next semester with Biochem 1 setup for the fall.  Here's my current situation and back story:

I graduated with an econ degree in 2009, 2.7 undergraduate GPA.  I didn't take school seriously at this point in my life and literally never cracked a book.  I'm amazed I actualyl graduated in 4 years.  Somehow, I ended up working in finance at the board of trade in Chicago and eventually finished my MBA with a finance emphasis at a so so school, 3.71 graduate GPA.  After realizing that the business world wasn't qutie my cup of tea, I ended up moving back home and pursuing a career in health care.  I've always been involved in the exercise science world as a hobby, so I looked into PT first.  Realized that it might be a bit boring compared to what I "thought" it would entail.  Anyways, a buddy of mine is a MD at a pain management / spine institute and suggested I come in and see what the PA world is all about.  Well, I ended up shadowing quite a bit and become thouroughly interested in everything regarding western medicine.  I immeaditely started my science prereqs and have since completed AP1/2, Abnormal Psych, Gen Chem 1/2, Microbiology, Bio 1/2, and currently in the progress of finishing off Organic chem 1 and Genetics.  I have received or will recieve an A in all of these except for AP1 which I received a B.  AP1 was my FIRST science course since high school, besides a complete throw away course my freshman year in college dubbed science 101.  Using this track record, I have confidence in me succeding in organic 2 and biochem 1. 

I actually really enjoy chemistry and would pursue that if for some reason the medical field was off limits to me.  These prereqs have boosted my original undergraduate GPA since I'm back my local University and I'm about to finally hit that 3.0 (as well as my 3.7 business graduate GPA).  I also completed a 6 month long EMT course since starting these prereqs and am in the progress of applying for positions ASAP to accumulate hours. 

Would you say I have a chance? I'm doing everything I possibly can.  I wish I could go back in time and fix my undergraduate years but that is long ago. 

Thank you so much!

Jared

@KRJames Thank you for your question and I'm excited to hear that the forum has been helpful. In regards to your question, some programs weigh the AW score as heavily as the verbal and quantitative scores, and some do not. Our program does not place a lot of emphasis on the AW score. That said, I would guesstimate as average AW score to be around a 4. I would check out the programs that you're planning to apply to to see if they have provided an average GRE score breakdown. A lot of times this information is on program websites under a "class profile" link or something similar. I hope this helps and best wishes!

I just want to say thank you for this forum! You are amazing! I'm almost sad that I have finally caught up with present time....I have been reading this as I could for weeks. I'm applying in 2016 to start in 2017 so I hope you hang in there with me!

I do actually have one question already though, I took the GRE 1 month ago. My scores were V-161 Q-156 and AW-3.5

Is the 3.5 an eyesore? How important is the analytical writing to PA admission? Do I need to retake it?