Ask a PA Admissions Director

@PAtoB Thank you for your question. If I'm not mistaken, graduates of a provisionally accredited program are still eligible to sit for the PANCE.  If a program were to lose it's accreditation after you graduate it does not affect those who did graduate when it was accredited. Obviously, you can't get a job as a PA without passing the PANCE and I've never heard of an employer asking for the score on the exam. There may be some employers who know more about the reputation of certain programs versus others (that's with any profession), but that may be more of an unspoken part of the employment process. As with many jobs, it's all about how you sell yourself! 

Would there be any repercussions job potential-wise to graduating from a new program that is provisionally accredited? What about graduating from such a new PA program that fails to get its full accreditation at any point within the initial 5-year window, after you graduate from the program? Or do most employers look first and foremost at whether or not you passed the PANCE, i.e. would it not matter at that point as long as the student passed the PANCE?

@jahensle Thank you for your questions. I think your most recent work and the fact that you have completed an advanced degree will work in your favor. If you're able to go above and beyond what is required for the program(s) you're interested in, that would help your application even further. However, I do commend your post-bacc and graduate performance thus far. Couple that with quality HCE and a competitive GRE score (if applicable) I think your application will be fairly competitive for programs who do pay close attention to recent work and improvements made to an application. Hope this helps!

It seems like this is fairly common so I figured I'd ask away, any feedback is much appreciated!

I'm currently finishing up my science prereqs, taking Organic 2 and Cell Bio next semester with Biochem 1 setup for the fall.  Here's my current situation and back story:

I graduated with an econ degree in 2009, 2.7 undergraduate GPA.  I didn't take school seriously at this point in my life and literally never cracked a book.  I'm amazed I actualyl graduated in 4 years.  Somehow, I ended up working in finance at the board of trade in Chicago and eventually finished my MBA with a finance emphasis at a so so school, 3.71 graduate GPA.  After realizing that the business world wasn't qutie my cup of tea, I ended up moving back home and pursuing a career in health care.  I've always been involved in the exercise science world as a hobby, so I looked into PT first.  Realized that it might be a bit boring compared to what I "thought" it would entail.  Anyways, a buddy of mine is a MD at a pain management / spine institute and suggested I come in and see what the PA world is all about.  Well, I ended up shadowing quite a bit and become thouroughly interested in everything regarding western medicine.  I immeaditely started my science prereqs and have since completed AP1/2, Abnormal Psych, Gen Chem 1/2, Microbiology, Bio 1/2, and currently in the progress of finishing off Organic chem 1 and Genetics.  I have received or will recieve an A in all of these except for AP1 which I received a B.  AP1 was my FIRST science course since high school, besides a complete throw away course my freshman year in college dubbed science 101.  Using this track record, I have confidence in me succeding in organic 2 and biochem 1. 

I actually really enjoy chemistry and would pursue that if for some reason the medical field was off limits to me.  These prereqs have boosted my original undergraduate GPA since I'm back my local University and I'm about to finally hit that 3.0 (as well as my 3.7 business graduate GPA).  I also completed a 6 month long EMT course since starting these prereqs and am in the progress of applying for positions ASAP to accumulate hours. 

Would you say I have a chance? I'm doing everything I possibly can.  I wish I could go back in time and fix my undergraduate years but that is long ago. 

Thank you so much!

Jared

Hi pa admissions,

Thank you so much for participating in this forum. It has been extremely helpful. My question is this: what is your recommendation for someone who's science gpa is less than stellar (3.2), but prerequisite gpa for most schools is at least a 3.8? I did poorly in a couple classes my last year of college because I overloaded my schedule with 18 credits, part time job, and made the stupid decision of scheduling my wedding the day after graduation. My poor grades (c's) are in physics and a kinesiology class. My overall caspa gpa is 3.45 and GRE is 320. I have a 4.0 in 24 credits of post-bacc classes.

My HCE should be sufficient for most programs, so I'm not too worried about that. 1000+ hours as cna in hospital with 800 hours volunteer work in hospital in Romania, plus 1000+ hours as home health aide.

@JobSmith Thank you for your question. I would say you would be a competitive applicant for PA school...at least from our standpoint. Especially with a prerequisite GPA of 3.8 coupled with your GRE scores and HCE.  Your post-bacc performance should help you. It never hurts to reach out to the programs that interest you to see if you can scan them a copy of your transcripts for their evaluation. A simple email would do. Hope this helps!

Hi pa admissions,

Thank you so much for participating in this forum. It has been extremely helpful. My question is this: what is your recommendation for someone who's science gpa is less than stellar (3.2), but prerequisite gpa for most schools is at least a 3.8? I did poorly in a couple classes my last year of college because I overloaded my schedule with 18 credits, part time job, and made the stupid decision of scheduling my wedding the day after graduation. My poor grades (c's) are in physics and a kinesiology class. My overall caspa gpa is 3.45 and GRE is 320. I have a 4.0 in 24 credits of post-bacc classes.

My HCE should be sufficient for most programs, so I'm not too worried about that. 1000+ hours as cna in hospital with 800 hours volunteer work in hospital in Romania, plus 1000+ hours as home health aide.

Hi pa admissions,

I applied for pa school this cycle and haven't heard anything yet.  I'm just wondering if my stats were not competitive enough to be invited for an interview?

Undergrad Science GPA:  3.02

Undergrad Overall GPA:  3.10

Post Bacc Science GPA:  3.80

Post Bacc Overall GPA:  3.50

GRE:  V-140, Q-152, AW-3.5

BS in Clinical Laboratory Science

HCE:  6000+ hrs, mainly in ER and lab

My undergrad GPA isn't all that great since I worked a full time job and a part time job my last two semesters in college.  On top of that, I gave birth to my son during the last semester so my grades suffered dramatically.  I applied in May and my application was sent at the beginning of June.  I haven't heard anything yet, do you think I still have a good chance to receive and invite for interview?

Thank you so much for this forum it is greatly appreciated.  I have been working as an EKG Technician for just over 5 years I have worked outpatient as well as inpatient. In addition to EKGs, we place monitors and staff stress tests as well as create preliminary reports for the holter strips. I feel like my experience has prepared me well to transition to the PA profession, I get a lot of the same experience as MA's and emergency techs.  I was rejected last year from PA schools, due to my low GPA's in the sciences. My BCP GPA is about a 2.7 however my last 40 hours of science BCP is a 3.8.  My low GPA comes from performing poorly, lack of focus, and then retaking A&P, and chemistry and it all being averaged. I have taken so many credits between my first year of college, then transferring to another University for 4 years and now about 60 credits post bacc completing prerequisites and other medically related coursework.  Most of this is at a community college, one PA school said my most recent work looks good however I should think about taking some upper division courses at a 4 year university.  I have done that and received A's in 400 level upper division courses like Virology and behavior endocrinolgy as well as Everything DNA and Family relations and health.  At times it feels like what more can I do, what more can I prove.  My prerequisites range from 3.6-3.8 depending on the school I'm applying to. Even after all of this my cumulative GPA is still at a 2.7.  Do schools consider most recent work? Or the fact that my prerequisite performance is high? I work full time and overtime so I can only take 1 or 2 classes at a time simply because times conflict not because I cant handle the courseload. I have a family and like being self sufficient so I would never cut my hours, plus I think experience is the most important part of transitiong to the PA proffesion.  If I dont get in this year Im still going to reapply.  My reccommendations are more diverse this year, I've shadowed, I've volunteered.  My volunteer hours are less than a lot of other applicants I believe because they needed to achieve a certain amount of patient care experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Im optimistic but want to be prepared to put out a stronger application should I not be accepted.  Thank you so much for any advice!

Dear paadmissions,

Thank you for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.  I was really excited to see this thread as getting feedback can be rather difficult sometimes. I am on my 4th cycle of PA applications now and am sad to say I have not had very good responses.  To start, I'll share some of my background.

uGPA: 2.33  (I know this is bad...)

Post-Bacc GPA: 4.0

GRE (old version):  Just barely above the 50% mark

My Cumulative GPA as calculated by CASPA: 2.84

Clinical Experiences:

Physical Therapy Aide: 2000 hrs

Exercise Physiologist (for research): 2400 hrs

Clinical Research Coordinator: 960 hrs

In the past 3 application cycles, I've only been granted 2 interviews.  Surprisingly, they were both at Duke, however, I was ultimately turned down.  Duke usually offers admissions counseling in the April following the interview season.  I felt good coming out of the interviews both times and felt I had good conversations with the interviewers.  One piece of feedback after the second interview was that they didn't feel like I "wanted it enough."  I was honestly super excited to be there both times.  Perhaps I didn't let that show?  I am usually a calm and mellow person and perhaps that works against me? The only other feedback i got from them was that my numbers were low compared to other applicants.  I'm not really sure what to do about that other than scrape together money to take a few courses here and there but I don't feel that will change my cumulative very much.  I was hoping that schools would see the first GPA and the Post-bacc one and note the improvement considering the time gap between the two.  

I also get the feeling that my research experiences, clinical or not, may not be viewed as favorably as something that is purely clinical such as medical assisting or emt.  I'm not sure if that is true or not though.  I'm not sure what to make of my application at this point.  Each cycle I have re-written my statement and added on new experiences as well as tried to highlight the clinical sides of my experiences.  It seems something is preventing me from even getting to the interview at most programs.  I'm hoping the current cycle proves to be different!

Being a PA is something I truly want and is something that I honestly feel my personality, skills, and experiences will allow me to succeed at.  Any insights or advice that you may have would be very much appreciated!  Thank you so much!!

@ru2013 Thank you for your post and it's encouraging to see the improvements that you've made to your profile. In my opinion, I think they will be noted by admissions committees. If your prerequisite GPA is higher than a 3.4 I think that will make your application even more attractive. Make sure to take the GRE is that is required for the programs you're applying to.  If they require the GRE a range to be in is around a 300. Hope this helps and best wishes for the upcoming cycle. 

Hi Admission Director, I had asked you a couple questions about my application before and I am now updating you on my process. Please advice me if I am ready to apply this April 2014. I feel that I made a lot of improvements on my application. I hope that admission committees will see the improvements and the upward trend in my GPA. I'm also taking more prerequisites that the majority of programs require since last time I only apply to programs that I have fulfilled the minimum prerequisites for. 

First time application GPA (CASPA): ~3.2  sGPA: ~3.2

HCE

• none

Volunteer

• Vietnamese teacher at community church ~ 2 years 
  • Piano teacher at community church ~ 3 years
  • Piano player for church ~ 10 years
  • Holiday plays coordinator ~ 4 years

Work experience

• Private piano teacher ~ 6 years
  • Research Assistant ~ 4 months

This coming cycle :

GPA: 3.410 and improving more as I take more prerequisites 

HCE

• CNA at a Sub-acute unit facility, by April I hope to have ~1500hrs
  • Shadow PA and MD: 100hrs

Volunteer: Same as previous

Honors: Chi Alpha Epsilon, Academic Achievement Recipient

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate your time and input ! 

@bobcats09 Thank you for your question. Your post bacc work is strong, but if I would evaluating your file, I would consider the following about your post bacc work:

- Where you did the post bacc work (cc vs. university)

- How many hours are included in that GPA

- What courses have you taken during that time.

In my opinion, you'll need to have taken courses that are relevant to applying to PA school (i.e. chemistry, biology courses).  If you've taken classes that are just GPA boosters and not relevant to PA school prerequisites it would be hard to say that your application would be more attractive. If the classes are relevant and you've taken a significant amount of coursework, then from a coursework standpoint you've shown great improvement. 

I do think you should consider retaking the GRE. Our program weighs the GRE heavily and we recommend a score of 297-300 to be competitive. Your verbal score will need to improve. Hope this helps!

Hi pa admissions,

I applied for pa school this cycle and haven't heard anything yet.  I'm just wondering if my stats were not competitive enough to be invited for an interview?

Undergrad Science GPA:  3.02

Undergrad Overall GPA:  3.10

Post Bacc Science GPA:  3.80

Post Bacc Overall GPA:  3.50

GRE:  V-140, Q-152, AW-3.5

BS in Clinical Laboratory Science

HCE:  6000+ hrs, mainly in ER and lab

My undergrad GPA isn't all that great since I worked a full time job and a part time job my last two semesters in college.  On top of that, I gave birth to my son during the last semester so my grades suffered dramatically.  I applied in May and my application was sent at the beginning of June.  I haven't heard anything yet, do you think I still have a good chance to receive and invite for interview?

@shawba08 Thank you for your questions. I would have to agree that the cc track is probably what has hurt your application for some programs. The classes you've taken at the university level are good, but I don't think they would be on the list of required coursework for many programs. You may want to consider taking courses that are required for most programs that you're considering at the university level (A&P, Micro, Gen Chem I and II, possibly Org 1, Genetics). I would not reapply the next cycle unless you're able to get many of these type of courses retaken (or taken). It will not show any improvement if you reapply with no coursework retaken. You HCE is solid, but you'll need to balance out the other aspects of your application. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for this forum it is greatly appreciated.  I have been working as an EKG Technician for just over 5 years I have worked outpatient as well as inpatient. In addition to EKGs, we place monitors and staff stress tests as well as create preliminary reports for the holter strips. I feel like my experience has prepared me well to transition to the PA profession, I get a lot of the same experience as MA's and emergency techs.  I was rejected last year from PA schools, due to my low GPA's in the sciences. My BCP GPA is about a 2.7 however my last 40 hours of science BCP is a 3.8.  My low GPA comes from performing poorly, lack of focus, and then retaking A&P, and chemistry and it all being averaged. I have taken so many credits between my first year of college, then transferring to another University for 4 years and now about 60 credits post bacc completing prerequisites and other medically related coursework.  Most of this is at a community college, one PA school said my most recent work looks good however I should think about taking some upper division courses at a 4 year university.  I have done that and received A's in 400 level upper division courses like Virology and behavior endocrinolgy as well as Everything DNA and Family relations and health.  At times it feels like what more can I do, what more can I prove.  My prerequisites range from 3.6-3.8 depending on the school I'm applying to. Even after all of this my cumulative GPA is still at a 2.7.  Do schools consider most recent work? Or the fact that my prerequisite performance is high? I work full time and overtime so I can only take 1 or 2 classes at a time simply because times conflict not because I cant handle the courseload. I have a family and like being self sufficient so I would never cut my hours, plus I think experience is the most important part of transitiong to the PA proffesion.  If I dont get in this year Im still going to reapply.  My reccommendations are more diverse this year, I've shadowed, I've volunteered.  My volunteer hours are less than a lot of other applicants I believe because they needed to achieve a certain amount of patient care experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Im optimistic but want to be prepared to put out a stronger application should I not be accepted.  Thank you so much for any advice!

@alnk Thank you for your questions. I tread very lightly on speaking on behalf of other programs and their decisions, especially after an interview. Were these reasons (not wanting it enough and academics) the same that were given after both interviews? If academics were an issue the first time, I am surprised that an interview was extended if you had the same academic profile as the year before. I don't mean that to sound negative towards you or the program, it's just an observation and applicant pools change from year to year...and you may have made the necessary improvements from cycle to cycle that they wanted to see. A lot of times, interviews tell us a lot about  your interpersonal skills. From the outside looking in, you may have been perceived differently than you think unfortunately. I'm not sure how to council an applicant to put more "umph" in their interviews, but you may want to consider applying to other programs, if you have not already. If you are extended another interview you may want to set up a way to do a mock interview just so you're able to get feedback about how you are perceived. I hope this is somewhat helpful!

Dear paadmissions,

Thank you for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.  I was really excited to see this thread as getting feedback can be rather difficult sometimes. I am on my 4th cycle of PA applications now and am sad to say I have not had very good responses.  To start, I'll share some of my background.

uGPA: 2.33  (I know this is bad...)

Post-Bacc GPA: 4.0

GRE (old version):  Just barely above the 50% mark

My Cumulative GPA as calculated by CASPA: 2.84

Clinical Experiences:

Physical Therapy Aide: 2000 hrs

Exercise Physiologist (for research): 2400 hrs

Clinical Research Coordinator: 960 hrs

In the past 3 application cycles, I've only been granted 2 interviews.  Surprisingly, they were both at Duke, however, I was ultimately turned down.  Duke usually offers admissions counseling in the April following the interview season.  I felt good coming out of the interviews both times and felt I had good conversations with the interviewers.  One piece of feedback after the second interview was that they didn't feel like I "wanted it enough."  I was honestly super excited to be there both times.  Perhaps I didn't let that show?  I am usually a calm and mellow person and perhaps that works against me? The only other feedback i got from them was that my numbers were low compared to other applicants.  I'm not really sure what to do about that other than scrape together money to take a few courses here and there but I don't feel that will change my cumulative very much.  I was hoping that schools would see the first GPA and the Post-bacc one and note the improvement considering the time gap between the two.  

I also get the feeling that my research experiences, clinical or not, may not be viewed as favorably as something that is purely clinical such as medical assisting or emt.  I'm not sure if that is true or not though.  I'm not sure what to make of my application at this point.  Each cycle I have re-written my statement and added on new experiences as well as tried to highlight the clinical sides of my experiences.  It seems something is preventing me from even getting to the interview at most programs.  I'm hoping the current cycle proves to be different!

Being a PA is something I truly want and is something that I honestly feel my personality, skills, and experiences will allow me to succeed at.  Any insights or advice that you may have would be very much appreciated!  Thank you so much!!

Dear PAadmissions,

Thank you for your feedback, I have retaken A&P, Micro, Org chem1, and genetics all at the CC level as a post bacc student.  I received A's in all except a B in 1 quarter of A&P and a B in Org chem 1.  Would you suggest I retake them at the University level? I was thinking I would try to take biochem and molecular biology at a university next quarter.  Last year I only applied to 1 school.  I applied to more this cycle and am waiting to hear if i will receive an interview.  Last cycle I had zero new upper division biology/ medically related courses to submit on the application this year I'll have 2, both with A grades, Im currently in 2 upper division university courses and have 100% in each course thus far. i'm hoping my application isn't reviewed by the admin until mid december so they can see my grades and factor those into their decision.  Thank you again for your help.

Dear PA admissions, I think this list of classes I have taken may be useful for my next question. Do you suggest I continue taking upper division courses or more basic biology courses at a university level such as general biology 211?  Thank you again, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

So far I have taken:

A&P: A,B,A    retakes

Micro: A 

chem I & II  (university level A and B.)

Org chem I: B

Genetics; A

Pathophysiology: B

Immunology: A

Cell bio: A

Develop psych: A

abnormal psych: A

Nutrition: A  retake

410 Virology: A,  (University level)

410 Beh. Endocrinology: A, (University level)

410 Everything DNA: in progress    "A" so far     ( University level)

410 Family relations and health: in progress, "A" so far  (University level)

Can you please provide some information on the wait list? What I would like to know is--generally, if you are notified after interviewing that you are waitlisted, is it right to assume that you met the qualifications, but that there was just not a seat available, otherwise a rejection would be sent instead? If four candidates are interviewed at a program for every seat, how many of those are likely to be waitlisted? Should being placed on the waitlist be encouraging to reapply to the same programs next cycle? Thank you.

@shawba08 I would recommend maybe taking Micro and OC1 over at the university level and stick with your plan of taking biochemistry and molecular at the university level. Typically, the upper level courses don't always transfer into a 4 year school at the same level and some programs may have a strong preference for university level work. I think it prepares you better for the PA curriculum. Hope this helps!

Dear PAadmissions,

Thank you for your feedback, I have retaken A&P, Micro, Org chem1, and genetics all at the CC level as a post bacc student.  I received A's in all except a B in 1 quarter of A&P and a B in Org chem 1.  Would you suggest I retake them at the University level? I was thinking I would try to take biochem and molecular biology at a university next quarter.  Last year I only applied to 1 school.  I applied to more this cycle and am waiting to hear if i will receive an interview.  Last cycle I had zero new upper division biology/ medically related courses to submit on the application this year I'll have 2, both with A grades, Im currently in 2 upper division university courses and have 100% in each course thus far. i'm hoping my application isn't reviewed by the admin until mid december so they can see my grades and factor those into their decision.  Thank you again for your help.

@shawba08 I think my previous response may be helpful in answering this question as well. A lot of your upper level courses are at the CC level and it could enhance your application to retake the 2 I mentioned previously. Thanks!

Dear PA admissions, I think this list of classes I have taken may be useful for my next question. Do you suggest I continue taking upper division courses or more basic biology courses at a university level such as general biology 211?  Thank you again, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

So far I have taken:

A&P: A,B,A    retakes

Micro: A 

chem I & II  (university level A and B.)

Org chem I: B

Genetics; A

Pathophysiology: B

Immunology: A

Cell bio: A

Develop psych: A

abnormal psych: A

Nutrition: A  retake

410 Virology: A,  (University level)

410 Beh. Endocrinology: A, (University level)

410 Everything DNA: in progress    "A" so far     ( University level)

410 Family relations and health: in progress, "A" so far  (University level)

@brenna Thank you for your question. The waitlist could vary from school to school but I'm assuming one of 2 things:

- The class is filled and you're being considered as an alternate should someone withdraw their seat in the program, or

- The committee decided at this point "delaying" a decision would be best. 

If you are waitlisted you haven't been denied--at least that's how it works with us.

Our program works it a little different bc we accept, delay or deny an applicant after an interview session is complete. Delay doesn't necessarily mean that the applicant is on the waiting or alternate list, but means we will eventually come to a decision to accept, deny or put on the alternate list. I tell applicants to not be so down on themselves if they are delayed or waitlisted. It's not a bad thing, and many many of these type of applicants have worked out to be great students and PAs. How many applicants programs accept per interview cycle, I'm assuming, is based on the number of seats that are available. Our program does not limit the number of applicants we accept per session unless there are a limited number of seats. And we don't always accept everyone we interview.  That said, if we interview for the alternate list we notify applicants in advance that they are interviewing for that type of seat. I would encourage you to communicate with the program that you're waitlisted with if you plan to attend another program out of courtesy. I don't see it as a negative to reapply the next cycle if you don't go anywhere else or if you're not accepted. I would keep an open mind though, that just because you reapply, it doesn't always guarantee another interview or acceptance. I hope this helps and best wishes! 

Can you please provide some information on the wait list? What I would like to know is--generally, if you are notified after interviewing that you are waitlisted, is it right to assume that you met the qualifications, but that there was just not a seat available, otherwise a rejection would be sent instead? If four candidates are interviewed at a program for every seat, how many of those are likely to be waitlisted? Should being placed on the waitlist be encouraging to reapply to the same programs next cycle? Thank you.

Let me begin by saying thank you for this thread. What an invaluable resource it is. I have a question about a program I was admitted to last year (2012) but I did NOT accept their offer for admisisons. I declined the offer for a variety of reasons:

1. It was a January 5 start and they let me know in November that I was accepted. I didn't think it was enough time to rearrange my life.

2. I had a genetics requirement that I would have had to start and finish within 1 month of starting the program.

3. I assumed (big mistake on my part) that I was going to be offered acceptance at other programs I applied to.

4. I had questions about the quality of the program at the time.

Needless-to-say, I now realize what a mistake it was not to accept admissions and do everything in my power to attend the program last year. I have applied to the program again this year, albeit late in the application cycle. Do you think I should email the admissions committee in regards to my declining admissions last year? They do not require a secondary application so I did not have an opportunity to explain my previous decision. I should also say that I will have my online genetics class completed Dec. 13.

Thank you for your time!

Hi! 

I have a quick question. I am in my undergrad looking to apply to PA school in the next application cycle. This semester I am in BioChemistry and am not doing as well as I would like to be. My University offers Q-drops, which is where you can drop the class and it just shows up as a Q on your transcript. And I am just wondering which will look worse on my application, a Q drop (then retaking it over the summer ) or getting a C (the first on that will be on my transcript). Or should I just stick with it and also retake it over the summer?

Thanks!!

Hi paasmissions!  Thanks so much for the response.  If i remember correctly, after the first interview, they were really focusing on my academic record as the main issue with my application.  After that, I finished up my second year of post-bacc courses and maintained my GPA so I figured I'd reapply.  i really tried to put more pep in the second interview.  After the second interview they only briefly mentioned my academic profile.  I felt good after each interview which is what is throwing me off. I asked them specifically if it was anything in particular I could have done better in the interview and the response was they didn't feel like I wanted it enough.  

I really appreciate your feedback.  I'm really just trying to pinpoint where I am going wrong.  I have applied to several other programs but I have not made it to the interview.  Should i focus more on my grade, work experience, etc...  I am not really sure.  I thought two years of post-bacc and my work experience would be enough to show that I wasn't the same student I was 10 years ago but maybe I've done something else wrong?  What do I need to do to make myself a more viable candidate?

Thank you for your thoughts!

@alnk Thank you for your questions. I tread very lightly on speaking on behalf of other programs and their decisions, especially after an interview. Were these reasons (not wanting it enough and academics) the same that were given after both interviews? If academics were an issue the first time, I am surprised that an interview was extended if you had the same academic profile as the year before. I don't mean that to sound negative towards you or the program, it's just an observation and applicant pools change from year to year...and you may have made the necessary improvements from cycle to cycle that they wanted to see. A lot of times, interviews tell us a lot about  your interpersonal skills. From the outside looking in, you may have been perceived differently than you think unfortunately. I'm not sure how to council an applicant to put more "umph" in their interviews, but you may want to consider applying to other programs, if you have not already. If you are extended another interview you may want to set up a way to do a mock interview just so you're able to get feedback about how you are perceived. I hope this is somewhat helpful!

@erinski Thank you for your question. I'm really on the fence about this one. Since there is no supplemental application to "defend" why you declined their offer, and if you did not provide an explanation at the time, it may not hurt to email a brief explanation. However, I'm not even sure that will make a difference to the committee, but it may...the least they can say is "ok, thanks for the info..." If you do provide an explanation to the program I would make very sure that you make it clear that you are now able to meet the requirements (prerequisites) by their deadline. I would definitely leave out the other parts about the start date and program problems. From my standpoint, that would be perceived as poor planning (I would expect an applicant to have an idea of the start date if they interviewed) and you never want to insult a program, regardless if they do have issues. I hope that doesn't come across as too blunt, but hope it may help some :)

Let me begin by saying thank you for this thread. What an invaluable resource it is. I have a question about a program I was admitted to last year (2012) but I did NOT accept their offer for admisisons. I declined the offer for a variety of reasons:

1. It was a January 5 start and they let me know in November that I was accepted. I didn't think it was enough time to rearrange my life.

2. I had a genetics requirement that I would have had to start and finish within 1 month of starting the program.

3. I assumed (big mistake on my part) that I was going to be offered acceptance at other programs I applied to.

4. I had questions about the quality of the program at the time.

Needless-to-say, I now realize what a mistake it was not to accept admissions and do everything in my power to attend the program last year. I have applied to the program again this year, albeit late in the application cycle. Do you think I should email the admissions committee in regards to my declining admissions last year? They do not require a secondary application so I did not have an opportunity to explain my previous decision. I should also say that I will have my online genetics class completed Dec. 13.

Thank you for your time!

@Smani06 Thank you for your question. If that is your only withdrawal you have I don't think it's the end of the world, but if you retake it in the summer some schools may view that as "taking the easy way out." Some summer school classes are perceived as being easier that a full semester class....or it could be viewed like an applicant attending a more challenging school during the fall and spring, taking the "easier" courses there, and then during the summer break taking all of the hard courses at a less challenging university.  If you have time, you may want to stick it out and aim for retaking it next year at the same time if you're able to.  A lot of times that could show persistence or the fact that you could prove to yourself you can do better even with the same professor. Just pay attention to deadlines for the programs you're applying to. Hope this helps! 

Hi! 

I have a quick question. I am in my undergrad looking to apply to PA school in the next application cycle. This semester I am in BioChemistry and am not doing as well as I would like to be. My University offers Q-drops, which is where you can drop the class and it just shows up as a Q on your transcript. And I am just wondering which will look worse on my application, a Q drop (then retaking it over the summer ) or getting a C (the first on that will be on my transcript). Or should I just stick with it and also retake it over the summer?

Thanks!!

@alnk Thanks for your response. I really think the second time came down to your interview more so than your academics. By now, I'm assuming you've made a lot of strides to make that academic record and work experience attractive to programs. I'm hesitant to recommend you go back and take more classes without actually looking at the courses you've taken and your grades. If you are offered another interview, it may be worth seeing if someone could help you with preparing for your interview.  As a non-traditional student you may not have access to a career services office on a campus, but organizations similar to Toastmaters may be able to help you. They could offer some constructive criticism. I hope this helps! 

Hi paasmissions!  Thanks so much for the response.  If i remember correctly, after the first interview, they were really focusing on my academic record as the main issue with my application.  After that, I finished up my second year of post-bacc courses and maintained my GPA so I figured I'd reapply.  i really tried to put more pep in the second interview.  After the second interview they only briefly mentioned my academic profile.  I felt good after each interview which is what is throwing me off. I asked them specifically if it was anything in particular I could have done better in the interview and the response was they didn't feel like I wanted it enough.  

I really appreciate your feedback.  I'm really just trying to pinpoint where I am going wrong.  I have applied to several other programs but I have not made it to the interview.  Should i focus more on my grade, work experience, etc...  I am not really sure.  I thought two years of post-bacc and my work experience would be enough to show that I wasn't the same student I was 10 years ago but maybe I've done something else wrong?  What do I need to do to make myself a more viable candidate?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Hi paadmissions

I'm a pre-PA that graduated from a university a year ago. I was hoping that you might have something to say about my situation. I also want to express appreciation for what you are doing for this whole forum. 

Here's my background info: I majored in biology and ended up with a 3.0 avg GPA and a 2.7 science GPA. Not at all stellar, but that's not why I'm posting. I recently completed an EMT-B program and landed an EMT inter-facility transport (IFT) job. I quit after about 2 months. When you have a partner telling you that you are a bad EMT for 12 hours straight as you're just starting an entry level job, you start to believe him, and the slightest push factor may do you in. That's what happened to me. Now I'm at a loss, and I'm looking for any advice from those who are willing to give it.

My experience with patients on my time as an IFT EMT was that I enjoyed them, and when I shadowed a PA I enjoyed that as well. I would still like to become PA, but with all these perceived failures I have a hard time thinking that it's really for me. One advice in mind is to man up and try EMT again. I just find it hard to get past those failures and criticisms. Hopefully you can somewhat understand.

Some questions I had in mind were: What should be my next step be? If i'm still looking to pay off some student loans (currently being payed by parents), would it be smart for me to attend another trade school to get more HCE?

Do I still have a shot at being a PA? Is it still for me? These I believe are answers I need to answer for myself, but your insight would help a lot.

Thank you for reading.

@lemon Thank you for your questions. If PA school is your ultimate goal I would encourage you to evaluate your transcripts first to determine what courses (prerequisites) need to be retaken to improve your GPAs. It does not hurt to email your transcripts to programs you find appealing and see if they will do an unofficial evaluation and make suggestions for improvements. Also, you will need valuable HCE for most programs, so I would encourage you to seek EMT employment somewhere other than where you were first employed. You may find another place to be a better fit for you and EMT work is valuable experience prior to PA school.  Especially if you have the certification already it doesn't make sense to spend more time getting certified in something else as it will waste more time and money. Hope this helps and best wishes!

Hi paadmissions

I'm a pre-PA that graduated from a university a year ago. I was hoping that you might have something to say about my situation. I also want to express appreciation for what you are doing for this whole forum. 

Here's my background info: I majored in biology and ended up with a 3.0 avg GPA and a 2.7 science GPA. Not at all stellar, but that's not why I'm posting. I recently completed an EMT-B program and landed an EMT inter-facility transport (IFT) job. I quit after about 2 months. When you have a partner telling you that you are a bad EMT for 12 hours straight as you're just starting an entry level job, you start to believe him, and the slightest push factor may do you in. That's what happened to me. Now I'm at a loss, and I'm looking for any advice from those who are willing to give it.

My experience with patients on my time as an IFT EMT was that I enjoyed them, and when I shadowed a PA I enjoyed that as well. I would still like to become PA, but with all these perceived failures I have a hard time thinking that it's really for me. One advice in mind is to man up and try EMT again. I just find it hard to get past those failures and criticisms. Hopefully you can somewhat understand.

Some questions I had in mind were: What should be my next step be? If i'm still looking to pay off some student loans (currently being payed by parents), would it be smart for me to attend another trade school to get more HCE?

Do I still have a shot at being a PA? Is it still for me? These I believe are answers I need to answer for myself, but your insight would help a lot.

Thank you for reading.