California area with good job market

Hello everyone !

Hope everyone is staying safe out there! I’m a new grad and looking to move to Cali. I know some areas in Cali are very saturated. Can you suggest some areas that I should be looking at where the job market isn’t saturated. I’m thinking Fresno or Sacramento so far.

Thank you for your responses in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone !

Hope everyone is staying safe out there! I’m a new grad and looking to move to Cali. I know some areas in Cali are very saturated. Can you suggest some areas that I should be looking at where the job market isn’t saturated. I’m thinking Fresno or Sacramento so far.

Everything right now seems to be scarce because of covid but I've been seeing a lot of jobs in Modesto/Stockton area. Pretty much the dust bowl areas... Hanford, Fresno, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Joelseff said:

Everything right now seems to be scarce because of covid but I've been seeing a lot of jobs in Modesto/Stockton area. Pretty much the dust bowl areas... Hanford, Fresno, etc.

^Hit the nail on the head.  Less desirable place to live = more opportunities, better pay, and lower COL.  Bonus is if you're going into primary care, many sites in the valley are federally qualified healthcare shortage areas.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Don’t even bother. Honestly it’s so saturated here for new grads you’d have to move way out to the middle of nowhere to find anything.

also, just a tip: people who live/born in California hate the word “Cali” 🙃

Edited by sam619
  • Like 2

I agree with others that mentioned looking in the Central Valley. Likely more opportunities with better pay and autonomy. Down side is that it’s hot and you have to drive 3-4 hours to get to beaches or major cities. Some areas in the Sierra foothills may be nice enough if you are into mountain sports. I would consider this if I were a new grad and not tied to family.

Forget about coastal Southern California unless you have significant experience or great connections. 

• Like 1

Don’t even bother. Honestly it’s so saturated here for new grads you’d have to move way out to the middle of nowhere to find anything.

also, just a tip: people who live/born in California hate the word “Cali” [emoji854]

True I text it sometimes to save letters [emoji23] but still cringe when I do...

Also those of us in the bay area hate when outsiders say "San Fran" immediately tells us you are from out of town and just trying to be cool [emoji23]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sam619 said:

also, just a tip: people who live/born in California hate the word “Cali” 🙃

Yup. Born and raised here. Cringe every time I see "Cali."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joelseff said:

True I text it sometimes to save letters emoji23.png but still cringe when I do...

Also those of us in the bay area hate when outsiders say "San Fran" immediately tells us you are from out of town and just trying to be cool emoji23.png

born here and i just call san francisco "SF"... whoops LOL!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 12:23 PM, keyara808 said:

Hello everyone !

Make sure you have a good reason before you move to California. 

Everything is so expansive here and the pay does not match up. Unless you are from here I don't recommend it because you will be shocked. 

https://www.aapa.org/news-central/2017/03/just-far-pa-buck-go/

My friend from Dallas, Texas who moved here, had a huge pay cut and with higher cost of living. 

That being said, Central Valley has a lot of opportunities and higher pay. But in my opinion, Central Valley is not your typical California. 
If you are not going to live either in the Bay area (San Francisco, Silicon Valley) or So Cal(Los Angeles County, San Diego County), maybe central coast, there is no point moving to "Cali."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PACali said:

If you are not going to live either in the Bay area (San Francisco, Silicon Valley) or So Cal(Los Angeles County, San Diego County), maybe central coast, there is no point moving to "Cali."

Agree. There is a little strip along the coast maybe 25 miles wide that is really nice. The rest is redneck central. The central valley is the armpit of California. Hot , dry, abysmal weather, etc

(I say this as someone who lived in both southern and northern calfornia for many years and spent time in the central valley as a paramedic intern. I was offered a job there immediately after my last shift and I said no without having to think about it at all with no other prospects lined up. It is that bad).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've seen a lot of postings for jobs in Sacramento. It's not my favorite place but on the plus side it's only 2 hours from Lake Tahoe. Finding a job as a new grad in SF or LA region will probably be tough if you don't have a connection. Like others have said you could probably easily get a job in Fresno, Bakersfield, or Salinas but those areas are dumps. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PACali said:

Make sure you have a good reason before you move to California. 

Everything is so expansive here and the pay does not match up. Unless you are from here I don't recommend it because you will be shocked. 

https://www.aapa.org/news-central/2017/03/just-far-pa-buck-go/

My friend from Dallas, Texas who moved here, had a huge pay cut and with higher cost of living. 

That being said, Central Valley has a lot of opportunities and higher pay. But in my opinion, Central Valley is not your typical California. 

3 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Agree. There is a little strip along the coast maybe 25 miles wide that is really nice. The rest is redneck central. The central valley is the armpit of California. Hot , dry, abysmal weather, etc

(I say this as someone who lived in both southern and northern calfornia for many years and spent time in the central valley as a paramedic intern. I was offered a job there immediately after my last shift and I said no without having to think about it at all with no other prospects lined up. It is that bad).

Eastern Sierra > Central Coast > NorCal > SoCal > Central Valley.  🙂

Haha.  I lived in La Jolla,  Encinitas, Del Mar, Cardiff over the course of 22 years;  I can't go back there for longer than 2 days before I get claustrophobia and start to go into panic mode with the traffic.  I rented a home in Cardiff in 1992-1995,  the owner offered to sell it to us for $275K;  we declined.  I recently saw on "Redfin" that it sold for 1.2 million in July 2019!   2bed/1bath,  1,000 sqf.  C-r-a-z-y !

11 hours ago, MrSinn said:

The central valley is not that bad...If you are looking for primary care in Central Cali ( born and raised), let me know. Great pay for new grads with loan repayment program. Fresno/Visalia area. 

All joking aside, Clovis which is next to Fresno is considered one of the nicest places to live in California when considering the price to performance ratio.  If I had to live anywhere in the Central Valley, it would be Clovis.  Plus you are what, like an hour from the Redwoods?

• Like 2

I lived in Sacramento (Roseville) for a couple years.  Loved the area and was my highest paying gig (outpatient psych).  Being 2 hours from SF, Tahoe, Yosemite...Had a nice pool, palm trees, and orange tree in the back yard.  Meanwhile....back in Ohio 😞 

Before accepting the psych job, I went to Bakersfield and interviewed at the urgent care of those two docs in the news.  They had some delay in opening up the new location and had to hold off on my hire.  I did not like Bakersfield.