California area with good job market

20 hours ago, PACali said:

Make sure you have a good reason before you move to California. 

Everything is so expansive here and the pay does not match up. Unless you are from here I don't recommend it because you will be shocked. 

https://www.aapa.org/news-central/2017/03/just-far-pa-buck-go/

My friend from Dallas, Texas who moved here, had a huge pay cut and with higher cost of living. 

That being said, Central Valley has a lot of opportunities and higher pay. But in my opinion, Central Valley is not your typical California. 
If you are not going to live either in the Bay area (San Francisco, Silicon Valley) or So Cal(Los Angeles County, San Diego County), maybe central coast, there is no point moving to "Cali."

I left primary care in a very affluent suburb of the DFW region and took an EM job in the Central Valley.  I more than doubled my salary my first year.  COL was only about 15% more expensive....so the tradeoff was well worth it.  Had I taken a job in the Bay Area or SoCal....it would not have worked out so well, from a financial perspective.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest HanSolo

A lot of people crap all over California but I enjoy living here. I guess if all you cared about was the most "bang for your buck" then I wouldn't recommend it. You'll find a lot of people butt hurt about the COL. It's not really more expensive than some other major areas in the US. Housing is probably the biggest expense. I'd rather live here in a condo than have a home elsewhere, but I know A LOT of people who think otherwise. I personally find the quality of life here more enjoyable than pretty much any other place I have lived. To each their own. 

2 hours ago, Cideous said:

Weather Weather Weather....and Weather.  Most of California is amazing when it comes to weather.  It's really hard to put a price on that, something I have come to appreciate the older I get.

yeah I drive a Wrangler.  Nice thing about most of CA is you can go topless from May until late October and be reasonably certain you won't get the seats wet.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2020 at 8:24 AM, DizzyJ said:

I lived in Sacramento (Roseville) for a couple years.  Loved the area and was my highest paying gig (outpatient psych).  Being 2 hours from SF, Tahoe, Yosemite...Had a nice pool, palm trees, and orange tree in the back yard.  Meanwhile....back in Ohio 😞 

Roseville in the house! Love placer county and the proximity to Tahoe, SF, etc. This is definitely the sweet spot IMO. Good pay and not Bay Area COL. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corpsman2PA said:

Roseville in the house! Love placer county and the proximity to Tahoe, SF, etc. This is definitely the sweet spot IMO. Good pay and not Bay Area COL. 

Totally agree!  Roseville was a great city and I liked the area.  I worked in Folsom.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DizzyJ said:

Totally agree!  Roseville was a great city and I liked the area.  I worked in Folsom.  

Folsom is on the short list the wife and I have to settle after I finish residency.  We love that town.  

Edited by dfw6er

• 5 weeks later...