2020-2021 Cycle

Hi guys! I’m currently a PA-S1 at CSU and really loving it! I just wanted to wish everyone good luck this cycle, and you picked a great school to apply to! If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to answer. Admissions stuff is a little different this year with the COVID pandemic, so I’ll defer most specific admissions questions to the admissions coordinator. Please don’t ask what kind of questions they ask during the interview, as they kindly ask us to not share in order to keep things fair for everyone. But if you have questions about what the program is like, I’m happy to share!

Best of luck to all of you! 😁

Edited by KThames
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, KThames said:

Hi guys! I’m currently a PA-S1 at CSU and really loving it! I just wanted to wish everyone good luck this cycle, and you picked a great school to apply to! If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to answer. Admissions stuff is a little different this year with the COVID pandemic, so I’ll defer most specific admissions questions to the admissions coordinator. Please don’t ask what kind of questions they ask during the interview, as they kindly ask us to not share in order to keep things fair for everyone. But if you have questions about what the program is like, I’m happy to share!

Hello! What made you choose this program (especially if you were offered acceptance to other programs)? What are your likes/dislikes about the program?

On 5/5/2020 at 7:40 PM, AspiringPAS said:

Hello! What made you choose this program (especially if you were offered acceptance to other programs)? What are your likes/dislikes about the program?

Hi there! I was offered a seat at one other program and ended up choosing CSU for several reasons. The first, and most important reason was that it “felt right.” You’ll probably hear a lot of people say this, but when you go to interviews you will likely get a feel for whether or not you want to be there. For me, CSU felt like the right place from the minute I walked into my interview. The faculty was so welcoming and friendly, they genuinely seemed invested in us as candidates. I felt very at ease, like I already belonged. The other most important reason was location. I had the choice between Connecticut and South Carolina. I have family in both regions so I had a choice on who I wanted to be close to, and what type of lifestyle I wanted while in school. For me, I would be closer to my parents in SC, as well as a nice lifestyle near the beach while in school, vs dealing with a more expensive cost of living and harsh New England winters. This was an easy choice for me as well. The other big reason was start date. The school in CT didn’t start until August, whereas CSU started in January and was a 3 month shorter program, so I would be graduating an entire year early. This was a HUGE factor for me as well, and ultimately one of the biggest deciding factors. Other things that initially made me consider CSU and am now grateful for are a full 5 week intensive anatomy cadaver lab, 2 elective rotations, and a systems-based curriculum. I could go on about all the reasons I love my program, but those were the biggest. Cost had no place in my decision whatsoever.

I hope this helps! If you have other, more specific questions, please feel free to ask! 😁

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 11:42 PM, KThames said:

Hello

I have all As in my other prerequisites, but have a C in Micro. Will this C hurt my chance of at least getting an interview? I’m not applying until next cycle to gain more PCE and give myself time to do well on the GRE on the first attempt. This was a retake  as I have graduated from college back in 2009 so of course I needed to refresh The courses to be within 7 yrs. Thanks for your help.

On 5/4/2020 at 11:42 PM, KThames said:

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I can't find the number of seats available this year anywhere on the website. I can see the class of 2019 was 25 students. Has this changed? Thanks in advance!

On 5/16/2020 at 10:58 PM, NotVeryCreative16 said:

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I can't find the number of seats available this year anywhere on the website. I can see the class of 2019 was 25 students. Has this changed? Thanks in advance!

My class has 32 students and I believe that is the max they are going to accept. Can't say 100%, but I'm fairly certain that is the number of seats available for all classes going forward. they originally started with 25, then increased to 30 (I think), then 32 with my class.

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, yvg2005 said:

Hello

I have all As in my other prerequisites, but have a C in Micro. Will this C hurt my chance of at least getting an interview? I’m not applying until next cycle to gain more PCE and give myself time to do well on the GRE on the first attempt. This was a retake  as I have graduated from college back in 2009 so of course I needed to refresh The courses to be within 7 yrs. Thanks for your help.

I had a few Cs on my transcript as well as a couple of Bs, mostly in chemistry classes, and still got in. I would say go for it! Best of luck to you!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends! This was one of the first schools I stumbled upon and immediately fell in love with it. I was finishing up my CASPA application when I realized my AP Stats credit does not count for their Statistics prerequisite, which means I need to find & enroll in a summer course ASAP that would be completed by September 1st. Since I just missed the deadline to sign up for the summer classes going on now, I'm not sure I'll be able to apply anymore. AKA Stressed 🙂  

My undergraduate university had two blocks of summer ("Summer I" and "Summer II") but I am not finding any Statistics/Biostatistics online courses offered for the second half of this summer. Does anyone have recommendations about this? I've been out of the game for awhile, so I feel lost trying to find an online course I can take before September. 

Thank you & good luck to everyone!!!!

Hey everyone! I really want to apply to this program but I am unsure about whether or not my upper level courses count towards the upper level prerequisite because they are not "300 level". I was a biology major, and at my university 200 level courses were upper level while 300 level courses were for graduate students only. I've been unable to get in touch with anyone from the school regarding this. If anyones had a similar issue, let me know!

On 6/2/2020 at 3:54 PM, applicant18 said:

has anyone heard anything back after submitting ?

submitted 6/3
received email: "We have received your application and are currently in the process of reviewing all submitted applications. If you are selected for an on-campus interview, you will be notified by both phone and email."

12 hours ago, passionate4PA said:

submitted 6/3
received email: "We have received your application and are currently in the process of reviewing all submitted applications. If you are selected for an on-campus interview, you will be notified by both phone and email."

okay thanks, I got the same email the day after I submitted but then another email saying they were unable to process my application bc my GRE scores weren't posted so I updated my application and emailed them back, haven't heard anything back but im assuming they received my updated application and are just busy receiving more applications 

Just a heads up regarding interviews. Things might be a little different this year due to COVID-19. Our faculty has been very busy trying to adjust our learning curriculum accordingly, as well as manage the clinical year students getting back into rotations. I definitely understand it's a tough time playing the waiting game (I did it for 2 years, so I know what you're going through!), but please just try to be patient as they navigate this new territory. I'm honestly not sure what the timeline will look like (they haven't mentioned anything to us about it), but I imagine it will be slightly modified from previous years. 🙂

In the meantime, if you have any general questions about the program, feel free to ask; I'm happy to answer what I can! Best of luck to all of you!

• Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 7:37 AM, secondroundbestround said:

Does anyone know how much religion is incorporated into the curriculum? 

This is a really great question! I will say that it primarily depends on the instructor, as some don't at all, or very rarely, but others incorporate it much more. Most of the time it involves them discussing that "God has put you in this classroom for a reason" or that they are praying for us during exams, but some instructors discuss how the body is "by God's design," etc. Some faculty members include a slide or two in their PowerPoint lectures that has a Bible verse that they take a minute to reflect on, but mostly during the actual lecture, you wouldn't even know you were at a religious school. During special events, Director Poole will usually lead the class in a prayer as well but I never feel pressured to pray. The biggest related curriculum adjustment comes from the Path to Becoming a PA class where we are asked to incorporate our "Biblical world view" into our papers or discussions. Many students in my class chose the school based on its religious affiliation specifically and I think they are very satisfied with the level of religious emphasis and enjoy incorporating it into their research papers and discussions, but I just really loved the program, and actually chose it over another non-religious program and have no regrets. If religion is important to you, I think you will be very happy at CSU, but even if it's not, I think you would still enjoy the program and not feel overwhelmed by religious oversight; I certainly don't. Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, KThames said:

This is a really great question! I will say that it primarily depends on the instructor, as some don't at all, or very rarely, but others incorporate it much more. Most of the time it involves them discussing that "God has put you in this classroom for a reason" or that they are praying for us during exams, but some instructors discuss how the body is "by God's design," etc. Some faculty members include a slide or two in their PowerPoint lectures that has a Bible verse that they take a minute to reflect on, but mostly during the actual lecture, you wouldn't even know you were at a religious school. During special events, Director Poole will usually lead the class in a prayer as well but I never feel pressured to pray. The biggest related curriculum adjustment comes from the Path to Becoming a PA class where we are asked to incorporate our "Biblical world view" into our papers or discussions. Many students in my class chose the school based on its religious affiliation specifically and I think they are very satisfied with the level of religious emphasis and enjoy incorporating it into their research papers and discussions, but I just really loved the program, and actually chose it over another non-religious program and have no regrets. If religion is important to you, I think you will be very happy at CSU, but even if it's not, I think you would still enjoy the program and not feel overwhelmed by religious oversight; I certainly don't. Hope that helps!

This was very helpful. Thank you! 

• Like 1