2020-2021 Cycle

On 5/4/2020 at 10:42 PM, KThames said:

Hi guys! I’m currently a PA-S1 at CSU and really loving it! I just wanted to wish everyone good luck this cycle, and you picked a great school to apply to! If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to answer. Admissions stuff is a little different this year with the COVID pandemic, so I’ll defer most specific admissions questions to the admissions coordinator. Please don’t ask what kind of questions they ask during the interview, as they kindly ask us to not share in order to keep things fair for everyone. But if you have questions about what the program is like, I’m happy to share!

Best of luck to all of you! 😁

Hi! I’m looking forward to applying this cycle. Is there anything you can share about clinical rotations? I know the website mentions they’re in the Charleston and surrounding areas, but does that entail being within a certain radius of the school? Just trying to gauge the extent of travel during clinical year. Thank you for your insight!

On 6/25/2020 at 11:08 PM, theunconventionalpa said:

Hi! I’m looking forward to applying this cycle. Is there anything you can share about clinical rotations? I know the website mentions they’re in the Charleston and surrounding areas, but does that entail being within a certain radius of the school? Just trying to gauge the extent of travel during clinical year. Thank you for your insight!

Sorry for the delay in responding, last week was Cardio midterms so I was a little crazy with studying 🤪 Unfortunately, I can't really speak too much about clinical rotations since I'm still in my didactic year. What I do know is that they try to get you rotations near where you live, but I think the typical max radius is about 45-60 miles. If you're moving in from out of town, they are happy to try to work with you on getting rotations outside of SC, with enough advance notice, if you want to do rotations back home. My class hasn't started really talking about clinicals yet, since we don't start until January, but that's the extent of what we've been told so far. Hope that helps a little!

• Like 1

Our admissions coordinator just emailed all of the current students today to see who is interested in being on the student panels for interview days coming up, so it sounds like interview invites should be going out soon! I only had about 2 weeks notice for my interview, and they usually do dates at the end of the month, so hopefully you'll hear in the next week or so! Hang in there guys! 🙂 

I volunteered, so hopefully I will see many of you on Zoom very soon! 🤞

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NotVeryCreative16 said:

I received a call just now inviting me to a virtual interview on July 31st. I applied on June 11th and verified on July 16th. I received an email saying my application was received on July 17th. Needless to say, I am beyond ecstatic about this opportunity. Charleston Southern is my number one choice. Good luck to everyone!

That’s so awesome! Congratulations and good luck! Hoping to get one soon too 🤞🏼

20 hours ago, NotVeryCreative16 said:

I received a call just now inviting me to a virtual interview on July 31st. I applied on June 11th and verified on July 16th. I received an email saying my application was received on July 17th. Needless to say, I am beyond ecstatic about this opportunity. Charleston Southern is my number one choice. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on getting the interview! I was verified a few days after you. Do you mind sharing your stats??

20 hours ago, NotVeryCreative16 said:

Congrats! I applied and was verified may 26 😕 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 11:42 PM, KThames said:

Hi guys! I’m currently a PA-S1 at CSU and really loving it! I just wanted to wish everyone good luck this cycle, and you picked a great school to apply to! If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to answer. Admissions stuff is a little different this year with the COVID pandemic, so I’ll defer most specific admissions questions to the admissions coordinator. Please don’t ask what kind of questions they ask during the interview, as they kindly ask us to not share in order to keep things fair for everyone. But if you have questions about what the program is like, I’m happy to share!

Best of luck to all of you! 😁

Hi! I just received an interview invite and wanted to know some more things about the program if you wouldn't mind answering:

What does the typical week look like for the didactic year?

How many hours do you and your classmates typically study per week-- is there enough work-life balance for us to maintain hobbies, relationships/family, etc?

Since the PA program is on the main campus, can we audit courses from other programs? I'm very interested in Spanish for medical applications, as well as political science/public health because I'm intent on advocacy and political action!

I'm also wondering if we can request additional elective rotations to the 2 already offered.

How much does religion play a part into the medical education offered, and how CSU promotes diversity and cultural tolerance?

How's the fried chicken on campus? 

I know this is a lot to ask, but I'm very serious about the program. Thanks so much!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, daddybenzene said:

Hi! I just received an interview invite and wanted to know some more things about the program if you wouldn't mind answering:

What does the typical week look like for the didactic year?

How many hours do you and your classmates typically study per week-- is there enough work-life balance for us to maintain hobbies, relationships/family, etc?

Since the PA program is on the main campus, can we audit courses from other programs? I'm very interested in Spanish for medical applications, as well as political science/public health because I'm intent on advocacy and political action!

I'm also wondering if we can request additional elective rotations to the 2 already offered.

How much does religion play a part into the medical education offered, and how CSU promotes diversity and cultural tolerance?

How's the fried chicken on campus? 

I know this is a lot to ask, but I'm very serious about the program. Thanks so much!

Hi there! I'll do my best to answer your questions 😊

A typical week consists of classes M-F. Most days we start at 8am and finish between 3pm-3:30pm, except Fridays, when we finish around 12:30. Rarely, we are asked to stay late on Fridays for a special event or lecture, but this has only happened once so far, and we knew well in advance. We have a professional tutor come in on Tuesday afternoons, every week during the initial 5 week intense Anatomy Cadaver course, then once per body system, except Cardio where we saw her twice because the unit is so big. These tutoring sessions are usually optional, but they run from around 3:45-6pm. Our classes are back to back, with a 10 minute break between them, and about 1-2 hours for lunch, depending on the day. MW we have a long break because we only have 3 classes (Basic Science, Clin Med, and Patient Assessment & Diagnostic Methods, aka PADM), and T/Th we have a shorter 1hr break because we have 4 classes (Basic Science, Clin Med, Pharm, and Problem-Based Learning, aka PBL). Friday we start at 9am and only have Clin Med and Path to Becoming a PA. Classes are anywhere from 1hr-2hrs long. Right now, since we are still online for most classes, we are live-streaming lectures at the same time as we would normally be on campus, so it's nice to be keeping the same schedule, and I really appreciate live-stream vs pre-recorded. We're slowly starting to come back to campus for small-group skills workshops, and are hoping to phase back into on-campus lectures in August with responsible preventive measures in place such as mask-wearing and social distancing. 🤞

Honestly, how much you study is going to vary between classmates, as well as units. Since we are body system based, all of the Derm techs in my class likely had to study less than everyone else for the Derm unit, but it will vary wildly. No one but you can determine how much you need to study. I will say that most of us still find time to enjoy hobbies, but this is PA school, and you need to study as much as you have to in order to understand the material. No one in my class has dropped/failed out so far, so I think that speaks a lot to our class and the quality of our instruction. Many of us use SmartyPANCE, Picmonic, and Osmosis with great success, and the program purchased Rosh subscriptions for all of us for the duration of the didactic year. I'm not sure if they will keep doing this, but they didn't start it until quarantine started and we went online, so they may or may not keep up with it next year if we're fully back on campus.

I don't think we can audit classes outside of the PA program, but feel free to look into it. You likely won't really have time for this though because you'll be studying the PA material anyway and that has to come first.

As far as additional electives, no, you cannot request more than that because it would delay your graduation. You can, however, request rotation sites outside of our area, and even back near where you live, you'll just need to work with the Clinical Site coordinator in order to set them up in advance! I thought that was really great!

I think I've already answered the religion question earlier in the thread, but if you have additional questions, feel free to message me 🙂

The fried chicken is pretty darn good, but i would expect nothing less from the South 😆

I hope that all helps! It is a great program that is growing and evolving each year. We are the third class, so we've heard a lot about what has changed since the first cohort, and they take our opinions and ideas to heart when working to improve the program as a whole. As far as accreditation, the most recent review came back with absolutely NOTHING that had to be changed or improved in order to keep moving forward, which is insane (it apparently almost never happens). Everything going well, the program should easily get full accreditation when the final review comes around. The faculty is very invested in us, and while a lot of us are frustrated with the online aspect, they are working so hard to do their best to help us be successful despite this difficulty.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or message me! Best of luck to you! I'll be on the student panel at one of the interviews, so I might see you there!

• Like 4

On 7/2/2020 at 12:30 PM, NotVeryCreative16 said:

When did you submit CASPA? 

On 7/6/2020 at 8:18 AM, KThames said:

Hi there! I'll do my best to answer your questions 😊

A typical week consists of classes M-F. Most days we start at 8am and finish between 3pm-3:30pm, except Fridays, when we finish around 12:30. Rarely, we are asked to stay late on Fridays for a special event or lecture, but this has only happened once so far, and we knew well in advance. We have a professional tutor come in on Tuesday afternoons, every week during the initial 5 week intense Anatomy Cadaver course, then once per body system, except Cardio where we saw her twice because the unit is so big. These tutoring sessions are usually optional, but they run from around 3:45-6pm. Our classes are back to back, with a 10 minute break between them, and about 1-2 hours for lunch, depending on the day. MW we have a long break because we only have 3 classes (Basic Science, Clin Med, and Patient Assessment & Diagnostic Methods, aka PADM), and T/Th we have a shorter 1hr break because we have 4 classes (Basic Science, Clin Med, Pharm, and Problem-Based Learning, aka PBL). Friday we start at 9am and only have Clin Med and Path to Becoming a PA. Classes are anywhere from 1hr-2hrs long. Right now, since we are still online for most classes, we are live-streaming lectures at the same time as we would normally be on campus, so it's nice to be keeping the same schedule, and I really appreciate live-stream vs pre-recorded. We're slowly starting to come back to campus for small-group skills workshops, and are hoping to phase back into on-campus lectures in August with responsible preventive measures in place such as mask-wearing and social distancing. 🤞

Honestly, how much you study is going to vary between classmates, as well as units. Since we are body system based, all of the Derm techs in my class likely had to study less than everyone else for the Derm unit, but it will vary wildly. No one but you can determine how much you need to study. I will say that most of us still find time to enjoy hobbies, but this is PA school, and you need to study as much as you have to in order to understand the material. No one in my class has dropped/failed out so far, so I think that speaks a lot to our class and the quality of our instruction. Many of us use SmartyPANCE, Picmonic, and Osmosis with great success, and the program purchased Rosh subscriptions for all of us for the duration of the didactic year. I'm not sure if they will keep doing this, but they didn't start it until quarantine started and we went online, so they may or may not keep up with it next year if we're fully back on campus.

I don't think we can audit classes outside of the PA program, but feel free to look into it. You likely won't really have time for this though because you'll be studying the PA material anyway and that has to come first.

As far as additional electives, no, you cannot request more than that because it would delay your graduation. You can, however, request rotation sites outside of our area, and even back near where you live, you'll just need to work with the Clinical Site coordinator in order to set them up in advance! I thought that was really great!

I think I've already answered the religion question earlier in the thread, but if you have additional questions, feel free to message me 🙂

The fried chicken is pretty darn good, but i would expect nothing less from the South 😆

I hope that all helps! It is a great program that is growing and evolving each year. We are the third class, so we've heard a lot about what has changed since the first cohort, and they take our opinions and ideas to heart when working to improve the program as a whole. As far as accreditation, the most recent review came back with absolutely NOTHING that had to be changed or improved in order to keep moving forward, which is insane (it apparently almost never happens). Everything going well, the program should easily get full accreditation when the final review comes around. The faculty is very invested in us, and while a lot of us are frustrated with the online aspect, they are working so hard to do their best to help us be successful despite this difficulty.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or message me! Best of luck to you! I'll be on the student panel at one of the interviews, so I might see you there!

Thank you so much for this! I was wondering if you could give a little bit of insight on what “The Path of Becoming a PA” course entails? 

Thanks so much! I am very interested in Charleston’s program. 

Edited by Beenka

17 hours ago, Beenka said:

Thank you so much for this! I was wondering if you could give a little bit of insight on what “The Path of Becoming a PA” course entails? 

Thanks so much! I am very interested in Charleston’s program. 

Sure! The Path to Becoming a PA course covers a lot of the "soft" topics, like leadership skills, how to have difficult conversations with patients, HIPAA, coding & billing, cultural awareness, how to reduce medical errors, and tons more. It's kind of a catch-all class that we use to round out the non-medical side of our education. We occasionally have guest lecturers from the community who come and speak to us as well. It's a nice end to our weeks! 🙂 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sbseagreaves said:

just got an interview invite for august 13th is what i believe she said!! this is a top 3 school for me, but i’d love to hear why other people chose this school over others! 

Congrats!! I wonder if the first round of interviews was July-august. Still didn't get one but also didn't get a rejection. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...