Can PAs go to nursing school?

28 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

Perimortem C-sections are covered in ALSO. Where on earth do you learn to do an emergency thoracotomy aside from an ER/trauma residency?

A very good question. I’ve only done one (Eh maybe one and a half) thoracotomy in residency, on a cadaver. Sometimes you do things that you haven’t actually performed and only have theoretical knowledge of or only done on low fidelity models because they are so rare. It’s not unusual for the first time you do this procedure it’s the real deal.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:37 PM, MediMike said:

My mind is more blown about running blood through a Foley...not something that would've crossed my mind!

Ever heard of this? Foley cath balloon tamponade?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16830215

No offense, but where this thread went is light years better than how it began.

Re: PA->nurse... If you want to go to nursing school no one is stopping you. Good luck getting dual credentialed at a hospital/clinic that will let you practice under the law/privileges as a PA one second and transform under the laws/privileges of a CMW when it's go-time and then back again. You'd have better luck fighting for better PA practice legislation in your state, IMO.

Edited by deltawave
  • Like 1

Yeah I've heard of using it for the purpose of hemorrhage control, just not for running product through...don't quite have an idea of how that set up would work.

Agree with the above statements after some time to think, highly doubtful you could practice under two hats. At best it may MAY away the credentialing committee. Depending of course on who it's made up of

• 1 year later...

Re: PA to CNM. I am in the same exact boat. I have called and emailed and turned over every rock to find out how I can do hospital deliveries in the state of CA. I am currently in a CPM program, which will allow me to do home and birth center work but….I would really like to be a CNM. I thinking the RN to CNM route. Didn’t think about DO?? 

On 2/27/2020 at 9:23 AM, LC8150 said:

I am wondering if PAs can "backtrack" and go to nursing school after becoming a licensed PA? I have become interested in OBGYN and would like to add midwife to my belt to make it a little easier for me to get a job in the field since obgyn PAs are not popular and PAs cannot deliver babies in most states. 

However There are only two programs that allow you to become a midwife without a nursing background and the certification you would receive is certified midwife which is only able to practice in 6 states. So I would like to become a certified nursing midwife which can practice in any state. Ideally I could find a midwifery program that would accept my advanced practice degree as education enough to become a certified nursing midwife without having to be a nurse first but its funny how being more educated has ultimately restricted my abilities to branch out. 

So anyways, are PAs eligible to go to nursing school?

Re: PA to CNM. I am in the same exact boat. I have called and emailed and turned over every rock to find out how I can do hospital deliveries in the state of CA. I am currently in a CPM program, which will allow me to do home and birth center work but….I would really like to be a CNM. I thinking the RN to CNM route. Didn’t think about DO?? 

On 3/2/2020 at 9:30 PM, rev ronin said:

Perimortem C-sections are covered in ALSO. Where on earth do you learn to do an emergency thoracotomy aside from an ER/trauma residency?

late response, but I did(first assisted, placed retractors, clamped the aorta, open cardiac massage. Surgeon did the cut),  some on my trauma surgery rotation at Washington Hospital Ctr in D.C. in 1995.