Name change......any updates?

13 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Results?  Like what we are changing our name to?  Or what the possible name changes are?

Probably just results of the analysis... what you guys want to be called, and how they think the general public will respond. 

My best suggestion for a name.... “Practitioner, Advanced”. You can trademark that. Can’t trademark “Medical Practitioner” or “advanced practitioner.”

3 hours ago, Cideous said:

Results?  Like what we are changing our name to?  Or what the possible name changes are?

The results and the branding company’s recommendations, which should include what we want, what the public and shareholders like, and how to get there. It will all still have to be voted on and the whole HOD hoopla before anything become policy.

• Upvote 1

^ This. the results of a 2 year branding study. That just begins a very long process. The HOD has to have a proposal. Then it gets voted on. Then it goes to the AAPA board for a vote. Then, assuming everything lines up, it becomes policy and it falls to the states to change things in their enabling legislation and AAPA to deal with national agencies such as Medicare.

This is going to take a long time just like OTP. 

However, there are some interesting possibilities and I'll use podiatrists to illustrate my point. Podiatrists are still podiatrists but years ago they started calling themselves foot and ankle surgeons. I can't remember the last time one referred to themselves as a podiatrist. So over time that has become their brand while their legal title hasn't changed at all. I couldn't  tell you if they are working on a formal change but it has been interesting to watch.

We could try something similar early on. What would prevent us, as compared to the podiatrist, is our dependent status. An employer could simply make it a firable offense for one of us to refer to ourselves as anything other than PAs.

Just a random musing.

8 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

^ This. the results of a 2 year branding study. That just begins a very long process. The HOD has to have a proposal. Then it gets voted on. Then it goes to the AAPA board for a vote. Then, assuming everything lines up, it becomes policy and it falls to the states to change things in their enabling legislation and AAPA to deal with national agencies such as Medicare.

This is going to take a long time just like OTP. 

However, there are some interesting possibilities and I'll use podiatrists to illustrate my point. Podiatrists are still podiatrists but years ago they started calling themselves foot and ankle surgeons. I can't remember the last time one referred to themselves as a podiatrist. So over time that has become their brand while their legal title hasn't changed at all. I couldn't  tell you if they are working on a formal change but it has been interesting to watch.

We could try something similar early on. What would prevent us, as compared to the podiatrist, is our dependent status. An employer could simply make it a firable offense for one of us to refer to ourselves as anything other than PAs.

Just a random musing.

https://www.podiatrytoday.com/blogged/im-podiatrist-not-just-foot-and-ankle-surgeon

I have never encountered podiatrists presenting themselves as "foot and ankle surgeons", so that's news to me, but its interesting. 

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

I don't know a lot of Podiatrists but the ones I refer to in UC say foot and ankle on their ads.  I never really made the connection though. I still tell the patient they are podiatrists LOL.  Ooops!

I see a lot of terms like “foot and ankle” without the “surgeons” part. Lots of dancing around. Not sensing that anyone is necessarily shying away from the term podiatrist. I don’t doubt that there is a movement afoot there with a new approach to their name, but maybe I’ll see more of it now that I’m looking. 

Branding can be a big deal, but I think it’s a bit more complicated with the fact that the term PA  is part of the regulatory landscape. I’m all for it, and think it should go forward as long as a good name emerges. My guess is that they will pick something like Medical Practitioner, and run into problems with it being a descriptor of basically every other medical provider, and it won’t be able to be trademarked. 

Ya know I will say one thing about Podiatrists.  I use to train them during their ER rotations (back when I did Emergency Medicine) as we had a Podiatry residency at my hospital.

1.  I always found them to be super nice to me, and this was in the days when PA's had just barely broken into EM.  Mid 90's.

2.  Their residency director was a Podiatrist surgeon at my hospital and I swear to anyone and everyone that he was the coolest surgeon I have ever encountered.  In fact, I used him years after I left EM and took two different members of my family to him which he treated brilliantly.  

3.  Since moving to UC full-time I LOVE podiatrists.  I refer to them all the time for foot and ankle issues.

My take away?  I love these guys.  Orthos can go pound sand on the foot and ankle for all I care.  My pods see my referrals almost immediately, have great outcomes and are always very thankful for the referral.  About all you can ask for as an UC PA-C....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope the survey will be better than the last one. 

I also hope they can come up with new title options. After paying all that money, I don't want to hear Physician Associate is better than "Assistant" because we already know that.  The first survey is kind of bad in my opinion, we already know the title does not describe what we do. Tell us something new!

59 minutes ago, PACali said:

I really hope the survey will be better than the last one. 

I also hope they can come up with new title options. After paying all that money, I don't want to hear Physician Associate is better than "Assistant" because we already know that.  The first survey is kind of bad in my opinion, we already know the title does not describe what we do. Tell us something new!

We are not Physicians and we are not Associates.  We practice Medicine.  We are Medical Practitioners....ad nauseam.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cideous said:

We are not Physicians and we are not Associates.  We practice Medicine.  We are Medical Practitioners....ad nauseam.

Totally agree, that's why I hope they will come up with title options. Medical Practitioner basically came from this forum and I think that is the best name we have so far. 

I just think the hiring of the independent agency WPP by the AAPA is waste of money.  I really hope the second survey will tell me something I don't already know. 

• Upvote 3

I started to post on the AAPA and political views, but got a off topic myself and switched my comments to this thread. Basically, from the political thread, AAPA should only be involved with promoting and progressing the profession. Right now all should spend the money to support national AAPA and state groups, For those that think keeping PA is going change mindset, my guess is PA, to most still equate to Assistant, just like collaboration is fancy for supervise, it is a step, not a change in reality.  Maybe I am wrong, but I for one hope all the time money and energy spent on title change ruffles some feathers, makes people look at what these professionals are actually about rather than quietly maintaining PA.  Title change coupled with education of what these  "providers" are could be a huge game changer. If the decision is to change, all interested parties should brown bag another extra day and donate $$ to make a big marketing success. and show how PA's are educated,  It is not tearing down NP's to somewhat compare educational models and requirements. There are great NP,'s and crappy, just like any other professionals, including PA. NP's constantly and successfully talk about the 3 years it takes beyond years of working as an RN. I have heard comments that PA's shouldn't tear down another profession to promote themselves, however NP's are doing this to PA's when in articles the comparison is 2 years PA 3 years NP. No it shouldn't be a tit for tat, but put out the facts.  The states where NP's are independent need to see the educational requirements and PA's on average have as much or more educational, clinical and CEU requirements therefore should have same level of independence(they really don't know and wont take time to learn on their own, especially when they see  or think Assistant). Nurse Practitioner's are branding themselves to be as good as physicians, A Physician Assistant, nor Physician Associate will be able to brand or get away from being a Physician helper. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hope2PA said:

your entire post

Great post! 100% have to lose physician and assistant from the name as well as associate. 

22 hours ago, PACali said:

Totally agree, that's why I hope they will come up with title options. Medical Practitioner basically came from this forum and I think that is the best name we have so far. 

Can we change the name here yet or lock down MedicalPractitionerForum.com? 🙂 @rev ronin

Edited by deltawave
  • Like 2