Jennifer Dorn out. Can we get a PA this time?

5 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Running the AAPA is more of a corporate manager position first and a PA position. It requires a high level manager first. I suppose there are qualified PAs out there, and they should certainly be considered, but being a PA is a secondary consideration.

The president of the American College of Physicians is an MD: Robert M. McLean, MD, FACP; in fact, every single person on the council of leadership is an MD.

Every member of the Board of Governors of the American College of Surgeons is an MD.  

There is nothing in a residency program that confers any managerial skill or even leadership skill; and the two years of basic science that medical students are so proud of do not add anything, really.

I didn't look, but I'm willing to bet that every single leadership role in an RN society is an RN.  

What magically gives RN's and MD's to have leadership roles but PA's are "patients only"?  

I would like to suggest that we show the world that PA's are not the idiots they think we are, and actually have a PA in a leadership role in our own organization.  We look like freaking noobs when a non-PA is in charge.  I think we can rustle one up who not only is a PA but who has some other skills they can use.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

The AAPA is run by a board of PAs.

The president of the AAPA is a PA.

Every member of the board of directors of the AAPA is a PA.

The vast majority of the senior advisory positions in the AAPA is filled with a PA.

The CEO is a managerial/leadership/corporate role. The CEO is a steward of the business side of the organization and the permanent paid staff. It is management. While they would certainly have a voice in policy at the end of the day they carry the board's water.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't even have a dog in this fight.  They could hire a juggling monkey for all I care; I'd rather put my money into the American Family Physician than AAPA, the articles are better.  The CEO of McDonalds doesn't go around saying "I'm a vegetarian", or the CEO of the beef chopping union with a vegetable sandwich.  

I think you are touching on one of the issues that made Ms.Dorn's recent sudden departure a topic of conversation. She had a bit of a reputation for taking some positions in opposition to the will of the board. That isn't her lane of traffic. She certainly gets an opinion behind closed doors...giving opinions goes with the job description...but opposing the board is biting the hand that feeds you and makes getting things done harder.

That said I just want the next CEO to be a good steward of the organization and keep the wheels turning so the board can get its work done. PA...not a PA...meh. Do a good job and carry the banner.

• Like 1

While Ms. Dorn had some unpopular opinions, I’ve heard from people in the know that she really turned around the finances of the AAPA, putting us back in the black. If there is a PA who is qualified in running the business of a large nonprofit, in all for it, but we need a CEO with good business sense first.

There must be a PA in this country able to carry us forward.  At least vette those that might qualify.  If the CEO  is at the mercy of the board then what does that say about us getting passed over for years about getting the respect we have not and are not getting today?  Almost all classifieds list NPs first and many do not mention PAs.  This is not a new problem.  Any one know some PA with the skills to fill the CEO position?  We are 100,000 plus.  You can't tell me there isn't one out there that could do the job required?  IMHO

The CEO is a managerial/leadership/corporate role. The CEO is a steward of the business side of the organization and the permanent paid staff. It is management. While they would certainly have a voice in policy at the end of the day they carry the board's water.

These words were penned by Scott and make absolute sense. There is an enormous amount of money that flows through the AAPA and there are at least a hundred paid employees of this organization. Scott has called it a non profit whereas looking at the programs, the CME, the videos and little trinkets for sale, I wonder. But any large association needs a person with history that is documented and successful management experience and the ability to acquiesce to the BOD and to be a listener to the membership and to draw attention to the complaints with the BOD. I remember that before Dorn there was backroom talk  of a PA, someone like Cawley or others of that framework but at the end of the day, none had the experience of management of a large employee base or this type of enterprise.

Yes, familiarity helps but the BOD must make the decisions and has been pointed out, everyone of them is a PA and has at least practiced one time in their lives.